Dating

Hey everyone I need a little adivce on dating

Heres the story so far.... I have asked a girl that i have liked for awhile on a date with me She has agreed, so all is good right? WAIT NO IT AINT! Where shall I take her (both 16) Shall i give her a gift on the date? Set in mind it will be the first date

Advice please...

All the best,

Sir.T

:S It posted itself twice, please delete one please!!!!

Hmmm?

I'm imagining if this is a date, Then you're quite smitten with the young lady?

Then If I were in your shoes, Maybe a small gift. Cinema and maybe a meal after...

You may not be old enough to drink but most resteraunts would be ok with a young couple having a meal with non-alchoholic beverages.

Ring around and ask first, Dont want an embarrising moment when you get there!

Also, How long have you known her for?

Ie do you know what foilms shes into or what kind of things she likes, as an idea for a gift...

Seduced wrote:

Hmmm?

I'm imagining if this is a date, Then you're quite smitten with the young lady?

Then If I were in your shoes, Maybe a small gift. Cinema and maybe a meal after...

You may not be old enough to drink but most resteraunts would be ok with a young couple having a meal with non-alchoholic beverages.

Ring around and ask first, Dont want an embarrising moment when you get there!

Also, How long have you known her for?

Ie do you know what foilms shes into or what kind of things she likes, as an idea for a gift...

I have known her for about two years, but the first year we wasn't close, but the past year we have gotten to know eachother alot :)

She loves her Romantic comedies :) and She loves music and basically anything where she can express herself :)

First date, personally I would be a little freaked if a guy gave me a gift, even if it was a small one on a first date.

I would try and avoid the cinema, what's the point in sitting not talking for 2 hours. I would suggest maybe a lunch/dinner date. How well do you know the girl? Do you know what kind of things she is into? Maybe try doing something fun that you know she would like, would give you plenty to chat about.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! x

See, Got you thinking already ......

Aww this is sweet! If you really don't want to go empty handed you could be an old romantic and present her with a single red rose

I agree with SLM bout the gift being a bit freaky on a first date... You want to do something light-hearted that gives you chance to chat and laugh, you don't want her thinking you're a bit of a stalker type...

Maybe something like bowling. ice-skating, which means you can chat and there are other people around, that you can augh at and joke about if you find you're having any of those awkward silences?

Not too much help am afraid, just relax and enjoy I guess, don't expect too much and go with the flow!

Oooh Bowling is always good! Then maybe go for a pizza (save the romantic meals for when it progresses further) ooh I feel all warm n fuzzy for ya! xx

I think food is always a good one. It's generally relaxed, you get to talk lots and at 16 some other options are a bit limited. I guess it also depends where you are though, what there is around you and the type of lady she is but dining out is usually a good starter. As for paying? Well, I'd offer the first time but not be too insistent if she refuses.

I'd avoid the cinema, mainly because she likes RomComs and they're all shit. SLM gives good reasoning too though.

As for give... Well once again it depends. How close are you etc... A tiny little thing that's personal to her might make a good gift, something that says I pay attention to what you say but I'm obsessive! If you do give a gift, careful not to be too expensive or cheap.

*gifts... not sure why I wrote give.

Urgh!

*not obsessive!

*for it to be too expensive

Me is forgutin Inglish...

MissTerryCleavage wrote:

I agree with SLM bout the gift being a bit freaky on a first date... You want to do something light-hearted that gives you chance to chat and laugh, you don't want her thinking you're a bit of a stalker type...

I think he said he knows her quite well though in which case a gift might be not so creepy if it's something small, thoughtful but inexpensive.

Lots of good ideas - I say take her for pizza!

Not too smart, not too casual and plenty of time to chat - plus who doesn't like pizza? Go to Pizza Hut and you can even have a laugh with the make your own ice cream (do they still do that?)!

Adx

Omg how amazing a date, i got with my boyfriend when we were 15 and 16 and he never took me on a date!

i would just say go for something to eat! and i wouldn't advise a gift, just pay for the dinner!

VW x

hope youhave a fab date what ever you decide and a gift would be a nice idea...why did i never have such nice bf's when I was 16 lol

If it's a gift, make it something small but thoughtful as Ad says. But going giftless is not a bad move, and might be easier than stressing over balancing between being too full-on and too stingy looking. I think if you offer to pay for the pizza/bowling/cinema/whatever, that's as much of a 'gift' as should be expected, and has the added bonus of not requiring her to carry something around the whole time (can feel a bit awkward if you're given something that doesn't fit in your bag and you just have to hold it aaaaaaall the time, and you really don't want her to feel uncomfortable, so if you are getting something, make it pocket-sized!).

I like the bowling idea, as it's something that allows you to be silly, and if you're nervous it's much easier to avoid the embarassed silence if you can crack a joke or throw a crazy shape. Also has the moving around thing, which means that, while you're both getting used to it, there's no pressure about whether to sit beside each other or opposite, or if you should put your arm around her, or any of that other stuff: you really do want to have stuff to do with your hands (shush!) because otherwise you might feel so dreadfully aware of them you'd start seeming nervous and make her nervy too.

Food is generally a dangerous area, just because if you're nervous, you might not feel that much like eating (ditto for her), and you don't want to be forcing down a full dinner if your stomach's full of butterflies. Maybe plan on going for a coke after, and ask her if she's hungry. That way you can still sit and laugh about the time so far even if you're both still jittery, and if ye're feeling comfortable enough for food, you have that planned, too.

One thing though: if you are going bowling or something like that, give her a clue beforehand so she doesn't turn up in heels and her shortest skirt and feel like a pleb. You can get away with smart jeans and a short-sleeve shirt, covers pretty much anything, but girls find it a lot harder to have a "catch all" outfit. Surprises are nice, but usually not the best idea for a first date.

And whatever ye do, good luck! You seem so sweet, hope it goes well. x

Can't beleive that AA

Not that I ever figured it out myself, but...

If you do want to give a gift, please make something. Write a bad poem if you have to, or make a paper rose, draw a picture. Origami jewellery is good. Nothing expensive YET is the rule, and cheap bought gifts make you look cheap, so the only way to go is trivial but thoughtful. And show off those hidden talents; show her you've got 'em, then be modest and don't bring it up again. Instead, ask her what she likes to do. Not "what she does" or "what she's good at"; what she likes to do. This is important.

Food is fraught with difficulty but ultimately worth it. I'd say fun, cheapish; Pizza Hut actually sounds about right, assuming you're typical fun-lovin' teens. Anyway someplace well lit with plenty of people having fun. I know it's the wrong time of year, but funfairs can be great for dates because the danger and excitement get the pulses racing and brings you closer together. Also fun food like toffee apples and candy floss. Nice!

Mr Monster wrote:

Food is fraught with difficulty but ultimately worth it. I'd say fun, cheapish; Pizza Hut actually sounds about right, assuming you're typical fun-lovin' teens. Anyway someplace well lit with plenty of people having fun. I know it's the wrong time of year, but funfairs can be great for dates because the danger and excitement get the pulses racing and brings you closer together. Also fun food like toffee apples and candy floss. Nice!

The Goose Fair is on this weekend and I'm desperate to go - I just can't get to Nottingham so easily External Media

Also - fairs don't work if she's sickly or scaredy!

Adx

Cinema isn't very good as you can't talk

Meals can be awkward for first dates if either of you aren't big talkers or are shy/nervous

I'd suggest choosing something that involves some sort of activity. That way there's always something to talk about (the thing that you're doing) and it gives you something to bond over (don't mean to sound cheesy) and laugh abd chat about if you go for some food afterwards. If you go bowling they usually have little arcades there too and you could try to win her something in one of those machines- solves the gift problem and you get to feel all heroic haha.

I've been on dates to places like museums and galleries too which I found to be equally ice-breaking. But perhaps not for 16 year olds...

Oh and I went to the zoo once which was great! There was loads to talk about and even now I have fond memories of the day:)