Did I buy too much today?

So usually a month or two before Christmas, I stock up on bottles of alcohol for Halloween, Christmas and New year. I’ve been doing this since I turned 18 2 years ago. I usually get a bottle or two at a time but in my town, it seems like wine and other stuff are getting scarce so I decided to do a big shop for it today incase this was my last chance to get stuff I liked. Keep in mind, my town is very small and doesn’t get a lot of food deliveries to shops.

I bought 2 bottles of prosecco, 2 bottles of vodka, 1 bottle of Malibu and one bottle of whisky. I paid and left. I didn’t think much of it. When I got home, my mother and my brother were making me feel self conscious about it and saying that people were probably judging me for “buying so much”. Is 6 bottles really that bad? I’m nowhere near an alcoholic and they are making me feel like I am. I drink on average once a week and it is usually one to three drinks each time.

5 Likes

Not at all, especially if you’re stocking up for Christmas. You’re over 18 so it’s nobodies business but your own.
The shop assistant probably never gave it a second thought.

3 Likes

6 bottles is not that much to cover 2 big and 1 possibly big party time. For my friend group all 25-28 we tend to get someone to buy it all at costco and pay them back and whats left over gets carried forward to the next event. For this Halloween (11 definites / 2 maybe coming) we have 6 bottles of prosecco, 4 bottles vodka, 2 gin, 1 rum, 4 boxes of cider and 5 boxes beer + whatever people bring on the night. For New Year last year there were a few more of us but we ended up with with 16 bottles of prosecco, 8 bottles of Vodka, 8 bottles of Gin, 10 crates of beer and 10 crates of cider. So there is no shame in buying to cover a spread of events especially when buying for yourself, only really becomes an issue if you were to drink that in a short period time and it became a recurring event.

When I saw the title I expected it to be someone spending a massive stash on Lovehoney and looking for validation.

For the Christmas period , I don’t think you spent too much, especially if you started out with not much at home already. It may only be a problem if you spent the same every week until Christmas on little extras you forgot this week, or if you drink it all by morning

4 Likes

OMG! Heaven only knows what they must think of us at our local shops most weekends! :joy:
That’s not a lot. For all anybody knows you might just be hosting a house party in which case you probably didn’t buy enough! :joy::joy:
Like everything else in life, don’t allow others to judge you.
(Not sure about the Malibu though) :wink::joy::joy::joy::clinking_glasses:

1 Like

:laughing: that’s a normal weekday for me Christmas alone for me is 5 litres of Jack Daniels and that’s my main drink not including cocktails and shots

Also not to dive to deep but if you did have an alcohol problem the way your family have questioned you about it isn’t great.

1 Like

That’s quite a reserved amount, I’d say. There’s nothing wrong with stocking up at any time of year; we buy a few spirit bottles most months, and virtually clear the port and sherry shelf near Xmas.

I’m like you in that I drink a few glasses of something (about half a bottle of red wine usually) per week. But we use quite a lot of booze in cooking and baking throughout the year. I know what you mean though - I feel self-conscious at times thinking that people might be judging as the bottles clang in my trolley.

Your mum and brother are most likely aware of how much you drink if you live at home, so try not to take it to heart.

And if anyone looks at you in the supermarket, you could always say you’re having a party. Realistically, many folks will be buying a lot more than you have.

1 Like

Do what you want to do!
Wouldn’t feel judgemental if I had seen you.
Lots of people buy that or even more alcohol
Pretty darn organised in my book!
I don’t drink that often but will often buy a few bottles at a time.
Looking forward to Aldi’s own Baileys :yum:

Not at all, it’s your money it’s been a crappy 18 months with covid, so enjoy yourself it’s not like your drinking it all at once! I don’t drink only a shandy at Christmas :joy: I did my drinking in my younger years, now I’m nearly 40 I prefer a cup of tea. But seriously enjoy yourself your only young once​:smiley::+1:t2:

2 Likes

Oh gosh no not at all…

I’ve been known to fill my entire wine rack up in one go…6 crates of lager when they are on offer like 3 for £20…and spirits when on offer and I only drink once a week.

Sod what anyone else thinks…some people buy 100’s of fags in one go…

People bulk buy allsorts…it also doesn’t mean it’s just for your own consumption.

I would never judge what anyone buys or what amount.

Enjoy!!!

3 Likes

Thats nothing.

Last christmas i got 10 cases, 240 tins of one drink. That was just shy of £500.

Plus several crates of lager, a few crates of cider, half dozen bottles of wine and several bottles of gin.

That lasted about 3 - 4 weeks. For 2 of us.

Christmas is for being drunk!

You should see my bog roll stash! :rofl:

6 Likes

Noooo not at all

1 Like

Six bottles is not that much :+1: When we make a trip to the liquor store, we typically get at least six bottles (more if we’re restocking our stash or having some kind of gathering). And if there’s a good sale, we tend to buy more than planned :sweat_smile:

Is that all? Haha don’t let it bother you, if you run out and can’t find anything then I’d be mad

No this is not all for one sitting so its fine

I bought over 30 bottles of mixed hard booze for a birthday many years ago. The staff in the supermarket were totally unfazed. There was no way for anyone to know how many people would be helping me drink it. They didn‘t know how long it would last either :sunglasses:

I still have some of it in the back of the cupboards, come to think of it :thinking:

1 Like

I’m like you and don’t drink that much but 6 bottles is certainly not to much. You have stocked up for Christmas. It may not even be all for you. You enjoy it but drink sensibly, what ever that is!

1 Like

Guess it’s better to stock up now rather when the season kicks in and you get prices go up