Exes - Avoid or Talk ?

My partner and I just made a promise not to bring up our past partners after four months of being together. We want to fully focus on each other and not make any comparisons.

While I understand not wanting to talk about exes, I feel like knowing about my OHs past realtionships helped me understand him more in the beginning. many many years ago we saw his ex at a lage group event with man other people / friends there and she was incredibly intoxicated and made a scene saying she still loved him. Frankly I found the whole thing completly entertaining and was not phased by it and it made me feel sorry for her... she never really grew up and matured.

But it goes to show you that you never really know the emotional level or attachment that may still be there so I think it is best to keep a polite distance, especially if their new partner is not as friendly. I realize there are exceptions to this rule and I think social media site make it way to easy to stay "connected" with people who should be left in the past.

VioletWolf wrote:

I work with one my exes 🙈 Sometimes it can be a little awkward; we have days where we get on better than we ever did, and some days he can be an absolute arse. Both of our OHs work with us, though his is based elsewhere in the company 99% of the time so it's not often she's in our store. I got on well with her until they got together, then she got quite uptight around me and wouldn't speak to me. We're fine in a professional capacity but don't think we could have a conversation outside of work. My OH gets on well with both of them, he has a lot of common interests with my ex!
Was awful in the beginning, but we split up over 7yrs ago so it's just run of the mill now.
Have several other exes, don't speak to them, probably for the best.

I worked with an ex a few times it can be awkward sometimes it depends on how you split. I think sometimes it is best to have a clean start if you can. Don't think you can ever be just friends after going out. But there are no rules and it might work for some.

Well said Vanessa8!

I tried to be civil with my first serious ex but she and her friends became abusive to me. So since then I've never remained in contact with ex's.

There's one i kinda keep in touch with every now and again. The others, no. For the best.

However if I saw one particular guy, even though he's married now, I would still get butterflies in my stomach. I haven't seen him for 4 years and he absolutley shattered my heart. I actually did email him after watching American Sniper to say I hope he's ok as he is in the Military and it was just super close to home. That's the last I heard from him.I hope he's happy, but I hope I don't see him. He truly devastated me.

The heart is a complicated thing. Not logical at all!