FAQ - What were yours?

I think I vaguely remember something similar!

1 Like

This was one of mine too - also the expiry on birthday discountsā€¦

1 Like

I think it is okay if youā€™re showing your whole collection, as long as you donā€™t say where they were purchased/link to a competitor :slight_smile:

There are a lot of discontinued LH products as well!

3 Likes

Not sure if i can name the company!

2 Likes

Please donā€™t :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Donā€™t worry! :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve submitted photos with non-Lovehoney items, but they have been older (no longer available) items and I havenā€™t mentioned brand names.
My recent stuff is all Lovehoney, and it is nice to be able to show it off - I think it should be clear in FAQ that uploaded photos cannot be seen by people who are not members.

Iā€™ve found that I can reuse old review discounts if I canā€™t find the latest one in my inbox.

@Lovehoney_Brenna I think a review of FAQ is timely because when I first joined the forums the rules were quite simple and discussion topics centred around sex toys, sex tips, and games. This year it has widened to become a social place, with all sorts of different chat lines and advice lines. I think this is a good development for 2020, but the questions I might have asked 2 years ago were much more specifically around products and sex advice - today they would be more wide ranging.

For instance, you have made one thread a ā€˜members onlyā€™ thread, and given a trigger warning on another. I donā€™t think these would have featured before 2020. So, something around the social use of the forum might be appropriate. Not sure whatā€¦ but I do wonder if ā€˜membershipā€™ needs to be tightened up if people are sharing more about themselves in order to find emotional support and friendship.

Given that more friendships are being made and sustained online while everyone is at home, would there be a way or bring back ā€˜giftingā€™? It was before my time, and there may be too many forum members now to make it practicable, but I think a few of us would like to be able to make someoneā€™s day in that way.

2 Likes

Interestingly they have had a couple of Trigger Warnings in the title before (I only remember one, but Iā€™ve done a title search for some others).

In what way would you want to tighten up membership? And for what reasons?

2 Likes

Because if people are now sharing more photos / personal stories / trauma then traffic just ā€˜passing throughā€™ might not need to be privy to these postsā€¦ maybe people have to hang around and join in a bit before having access to every thread? Maybe be ā€˜Regularā€™ not just ā€˜Memberā€™ for some areas?

Itā€™s just a thought - I donā€™t know how it would play out, or if it would be counter-productive, or if anyone else agrees.

2 Likes

Sorry, I forget the niceties sometimes. Iā€™m asking questions because Iā€™m interested. :slightly_smiling_face:

In the default set-up there was a ā€˜Loungeā€™ category which is only accessible to L3 Regulars, but Brenna ditched it as she didnā€™t like the sound of hidden conversations. I think that may be why the (temporary?) members-only category isnā€™t for ā€˜L2 Membersā€™ (in forum jargon), but for account-holders (same as #your-photos).

There are a lot of things you can do with this new place, but I think it helps if you know what you want it to look like after youā€™ve finished (even if weā€™re just theorising :slightly_smiling_face:). Youā€™ve mentioned a few times about how you think the forum has changed this year (because of the upgrade?), and Iā€™m quite curious as to what other people think too. :slightly_smiling_face: Maybe I should dust off an old topic.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s a good idea. I notice we do get people join and think itā€™s a dating or dirty talk forum, then you donā€™t seem to hear from them again once they realise. It would stop them seeing ā€˜delicateā€™ topics or posts.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t know that. The idea for the Lounge we have now was mine and @Lovehoney_Brenna liked it - but it wasnā€™t suggested as an exclusive thing, I think it works well as a general chat space.

Not because of the upgrade - because of Covid.
And because, as stressed-out people move more into online spaces, our forum is well-run and people here are open-minded and kind.

Got that - you didnā€™t sound anything other than interested :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Iā€™d like information on how to deactivate my account in the FAQ, and perhaps an explanation that deactivating your forum account does not deactivate your website account (unless it does, IDK!?).

2 Likes

The name is a default Discourse thing, so totally unconnected to The Lounge. A Member/Regular-only category can be called anything (if one was ever made).

Would you set it around the existing Member mark? (15 visits, like something, read 1hr, etc). And what if someone joined specifically to ask such a question? They wouldnā€™t have the privilege to see the category yet, so would they have to ask it on the open board?

1 Like

Since this is originally a sex toy advice forum, it could be set so the sex tips/advice, games and sex toy threads (and the introduction section+inside lovehoney section too obviously) were open to everyone and it was the others that were locked? That could possibly counter that issue. Actually looking again the main 1 i see with personal information like @MsR is mentioning tends to be the off topic section (please correct me if Iā€™m wrong) so they could just lock that 1 (like an hours read time could be a good mechanism if possible)

3 Likes

I think I suggested around the ā€˜Regularā€™ mark? Not for all threads, just those which contain delicate and personal info rather than discussion of toys and tips.

Iā€™m just suggesting ideas in response to @Lovehoney_Brennaā€™s question about FAQ. I havenā€™t thought these ideas though in any great detail.

I canā€™t see a problem with asking a question on an open board - if the question is intimate then maybe the person asking it might like to be assured of a degree of privacy, and wait awhile, getting to know a few forum members in the meantime?

Otherwise, keep things as they are. Seems to be working ok for those of us using it.

3 Likes

You might want to stick with member for now, only about 80 people currently qualify as Regular (and Iā€™m not 1 yet unfortunately). Member still only has about 350 compared to the 280,000 basic users (and infinite other people on the Internet for the non private topics)

2 Likes

Even fewer if you discount the staff with the Leader badge. On the upside, I think you only have to read about 14k new posts in the current 100 day window to pip you up to Regular. Itā€™s harder to tell how close you are now, but I think youā€™re close. :+1:

2 Likes

@Ace12345 Good point - I havenā€™t looked into the figures.
I just thought the idea of keeping some threads less public might be worth considering.
But, generally I think the new forum works very well for everyone.

2 Likes

Sooo, ā€˜Who can see what I post?ā€™
and, ā€˜what can I post where?ā€™, would still be my questionsā€¦
I might add ā€˜who can see my profileā€™ - easily answered if people are confident about the options available.

Also, the difference between engaging in ā€˜one to oneā€™ chat just answering to another person - that can lead to some confusion.

2 Likes