Getting this awful implant out finally!

I got the implant back in July. I kept bleeding and for the first few months I thought it was normal and that it would slowly fizzle out. I was so wrong. It seemed to get better two months ago but then it went to pot. I have now been bleeding heavily like I’m having a heavy period for the past two weeks now and it has not stopped and it looks like it won’t stop any time soon. This was my breaking point and now I’m getting it taken out on Wednesday morning and just going back on the pill. I was so in denial that it wasn’t working. I wanted it to work so much but now it just seems like a too good to be true contraceptive for me. The coil is out of the question too as they freak me out so I guess my only option is the pill as the others arnt right for me.

I want to ask, if I go on the mini pill, will I just bleed like this or will I not bleed? I’m confused with it being the same hormones. I’ve only been on the implant and the combined pill. The combined pill is amazing for me but since I have high blood pressure, there has been times they have threatened to make me stop taking it. I want to be on atleast something. Also, how long will it be for me to stop bleeding once I get this awful thing taken out of my arm? TIA

1 Like

OMG that sounds horrible. :sob: I’d think a hormone released into your blood would have the same effect though no matter how it gets in there.

Just going to throw in a suggestion for the three monthly Depo jab. I was on the implant for 6 years after being told I’d been on Depo too long without a break and needed a change so any bone density issues that might have arisen could recover. I hated the implant. I wasn’t as unlucky as you, (thankfully for me!) no heavy bleeding but had spotting continuously and sometimes the need for tampos for a few weeks. As soon as I was allowed back on Depo I changed and have been told I can stay on it now until I’m 50 (late 30s now). It took a year to get back to no bleeding after changing back but I’m finally there.

I’ve never been on the mini pill so can’t help with that but changing back to Depo after having the implant took a year for everything to get back to how it should be for me.

Gawd I keep hearing horror stories about the implant, so sorry to hear of the issues you had :pleading_face:

I’m on Cerelle (it’s progestogen only) so I have no periods. I won’t lie when I started I had a period for about a month and my mood swings were unbelievable. But 12 years later I’m still on it and have no problems.

The implant was the worst thing ever and I was desperate to get the thing out. Because we had finished our family my husband kindly had a vasectomy. Best thing ever, now sex is amazing and no worries.

Sorry you’ve had a bad experience with the implant and well done for making the decision to remove it. I’m in a similar situation to you (only the combined pill seems to suit me personally but for medical reasons it isn’t the doctor’s preference). My only recommendation is to get a second opinion if they don’t want you on the pill - the nurses at my surgery refuse to give me the pill because they have a set of questions to ask and I don’t answer “no” to all of them so they say they can’t prescribe it but they actually mean that it needs the authorisation of a GP. I then get a GP appointment and he gives it to me on the understanding that I know the risks.

As for the mini pill, it depends which one you use - cerazette (cerelle) stopped my bleeding after about 3 months, I had light, irregular bleeding for the 1st 3 months, but it caused vaginal dryness which was really unpleasant for me. The other mini pill that i tried caused constant bleeding - light but enough to upset me. It’s worth discussing your options with a GP. Make sure you are clear on what is most important to you, people’s preferences and concerns are different. My biggest concerns are having regular periods, no dryness and less mood swings. Other people prioritise their skin, hair, sex drive, or risk of weight gain and aren’t bothered by a bit of light bleeding.

Sorry for the essay. I guess contraceptive choice is something I feel strongly about!

1 Like