implant problems?

Hey ladies I have a question and it would be really great if you could give me any advice :-)
Aunt Flow lost my adress for just over a year and I was very very happy with this arrangement. I got the implant back in august and two weeks ago aunty flow came to call and hasn't left since :-(. Could this be a side effect to the implant?
Thanks in advance :-)

lillithlibby wrote:

Hey ladies I have a question and it would be really great if you could give me any advice :-)
Aunt Flow lost my adress for just over a year and I was very very happy with this arrangement. I got the implant back in august and two weeks ago aunty flow came to call and hasn't left since :-(. Could this be a side effect to the implant?

Yes. I have exactly the same problem but mine is still here after 6 MONTHS!!!

Just about ready to remove my womb myself at this point.

I went to my docs and they tried me on a course of antibiotics (sounds odd but sometimes that solves the problem, apparently). It sort of helped for a while but not permanently.

I'm going to go back soon but the doc said the next step would be to compliment the implant with a mini pill. Fingers crossed that works.

The weird thing is I'd already had the implant for 3 years and this new one was a straight replacement, no gap in between them or anything. I never had this problem with the last one (in fact Aunt Flow lost my address too!) however she seems to not want to leave now. Is this 3 years of period all catching up with me at once, I wonder?! Evil evilness.

Anyway - I would say it is probably in connection to your implant and go and see your friendly doctor for advice :)

I only ever had one implant in but I bleed for over a year while I had it. In sure your bleeding will settle down soon, if it stopped before. Maybe it's down to a change in the hormones from the new implant going in and your body needs time to adjust. I herd recently ( from a dr) that they where changing the implant to a new one..... I don't know if it happened, but are your sure they have you the exact same implant as before. Because if it's slightly different it will prob just be your body adjusting.

Jess I has the mini pill and implant to try stop my bleeding. I became a crazy bit

Thank you jess :-) I've got an appointment tommorrow so hopefully they can get something sorted :-) god I hope mine doesn't last six months :(
blonde vixen this was my first try on it I think its the same as the injection but that made everything go away lol
Thank you both for your advice :-) xx

I clearly misread your post, I thought you had it before. If it's your first time having it then yes it's totally normally to bleed. It takes a lot of women up to 3 months to adjust to the hormones. Hopefully you will get a nice dr but a lot of them are not willing to do anything till fete the three month mark. They just say you have to give your body time to adjust.
I actually have the dr tomorrow to discuss my coil. I had it in over 3 months ago and I'm still bleeding everyday. They have refused to do anything about it to this point. So maybe they will give me something to help tomorrow.
The joys of contraception!!!

Thank you bv :) its my fault I think as I wasn't clear :) xx

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

lillithlibby wrote:

Yes. I have exactly the same problem but mine is still here after 6 MONTHS!!!

Just about ready to remove my womb myself at this point.

I went to my docs and they tried me on a course of antibiotics (sounds odd but sometimes that solves the problem, apparently). It sort of helped for a while but not permanently.

I'm going to go back soon but the doc said the next step would be to compliment the implant with a mini pill. Fingers crossed that works.

The weird thing is I'd already had the implant for 3 years and this new one was a straight replacement, no gap in between them or anything. I never had this problem with the last one (in fact Aunt Flow lost my address too!) however she seems to not want to leave now. Is this 3 years of period all catching up with me at once, I wonder?! Evil evilness.

Anyway - I would say it is probably in connection to your implant and go and see your friendly doctor for advice :)

6 months! Woah. I have an IUS and mine are irregular and I've had mine for 3 weeks... I'll stop complaining now haha! Back to the doctors soon!

I wouldn't worry lillithlibby. There are lots of things your doctor can try. At least you know you're not alone! X

unfortunatly this can be a side effect of the implanon, i have the exact same issue with my implanon,i have been given some pills called norethisterone, the pills stop my periods,and give me a break from the constant bleeding, i take them for two months, then i come off have a period, then take them again for two months ,these seem to be really helping me,as i really could not have coped any longer with the constant bleeding, from the implant :( they did suggest i had a coil, but im not that keen on having a coil

Hope your doctor gives you something to help,i how what a pain this is x

I often get a month long period when I change contraception. If it's not gone within a month I'd call your GP you can sometimes go on the pill alongside the implant to control bleeding xx

I have to agree, just on a personal level I don't really want the coil. I couldn't say why, I just don't really fancy it!

The implant has been the only contraceptive I've really got on with well. The new implant is a different brand name and material to the old one, however the hormone ratios are identical, which is why I was so surprised to have this reaction! So different to last time!

I'm hoping that the pill alongside will help but I have to say, I am a little concerned it's going to make me turn crazy :P Having said that though, having a period this long is already driving me round the bend, so surely anything is better than this? It really is a bloody nightmare (no pun intended - well, maybe a little! :P )

I hope your appointment goes well today, lilithlibby. As the others have said they might make you wait it out a little longer to see if your body sorts itself out of its own accord, but they can perhaps give you some tips to help in the mean time?

LLL, I hope Aunt Flow bugs off for you soon, I really don't have any advice as I'm not on any contraception at the moment but as others have said it might be worth taking the pill as an aid for on the side... But surely having the implant is so you don't have to remember to take a pill everyday? Have you tried the injection?

I was considering getting the injection that lasts 3 months or so as an alternative to the implant, as it's an absolute no-no for me. (Last time someone tried to take blood from me I fainted. I dread to think what would happen if I had to have my arm cut open!) Has anyone here had the injection before who could give me some tips? I'd be very appreciative! :)