Has anyone tried the mini pill and then had the mirena coil fitted?

I created a new thread as this is a specific subject on the mirena.

The pill isn't suitable for me and so I tried the mini pill, which didn't work either. I was spotting every other day for months. I tried 5 different mini pills over the space of a year before I gave up and went onto the IUD coil.

I did consider the mirena coil but I didn't want to go through that and then it didn't work for me.

My question is, has anyone tried mini pills which made you spot and then went onto the mirena coil and had no real problems with spotting?

MM just wondering if you have tried the patch? This was the best for me so far but had to spot due to reasons related to my body and findings in my blood. I also had to stop other medication at the same time.

Sorry if it's not helpful, but compared to all the others I've tired it was the best, I didn't spot, feel pain, or anything I would get from other tablets or implants. Just ashame that my body doesn't like most meds, as I feel it was the best option for me.

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

MM just wondering if you have tried the patch? This was the best for me so far but had to spot due to reasons related to my body and findings in my blood. I also had to stop other medication at the same time.

Sorry if it's not helpful, but compared to all the others I've tired it was the best, I didn't spot, feel pain, or anything I would get from other tablets or implants. Just ashame that my body doesn't like most meds, as I feel it was the best option for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't tried the patch as that wasn't suitable for me either as it contains the same hormones as the pill. I need a contraceptive that contains only progesterone, not estrogen.

i tried the patch and it was awful, made my skin really bad, and left rashes where it was placed, and I always alternated the places I put it. It also made me feel sick, and my skin itch.

And besides it was useless as it kept coming unstuck and my gp said even a corner that has become unstuck can affect its effectiveness, so I went back on the pill. Didn't have any spotting though with the patch, in fact it was more with the pill especailly when I skipped breaks.

xx

*bump*

If people haven't seen this.

I did see it, but sorry, I cannot have anything that has hormones in it as I reacted really badly to hormonl contraception - almost ended up in hospital. So cannot help you.

I have the Mirena coil. It has stopped my periods all together (at first I went to the doctor as I didn't think it was normal, but she assured me it was fine). So for the past year I haven't had any spotting or anything at all.

Sorry, I missed this one!

I tried the mini pill with similar problems so I too was a bit anxious about the Mirena but it really is the best contraception I have ever had! As I said in the other thread, I had some spotting for a few weeks but since then I have had no problems at all. I was told because the hormones are delivered straight to the uterus with the Mirena the dose is much lower than in pill form.

Hope this helps. x

Thanks for your replies Laveila and LS.

Laveila, *hugs* that must have been terrible, are you ok now?

LS, I mean has anyone had or got the mirena coil who has also tried the mini pill which doesn't contain estrogen.

Blue Sapphire wrote:

Sorry, I missed this one!

I tried the mini pill with similar problems so I too was a bit anxious about the Mirena but it really is the best contraception I have ever had! As I said in the other thread, I had some spotting for a few weeks but since then I have had no problems at all. I was told because the hormones are delivered straight to the uterus with the Mirena the dose is much lower than in pill form.

Hope this helps. x

Thank-you for your reply it is most helpful, I am thinking perhaps it will be different for me as well. Hmmmm.

x

MasqueradeMinx wrote:

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't tried the patch as that wasn't suitable for me either as it contains the same hormones as the pill. I need a contraceptive that contains only progesterone, not estrogen.

Before being on Mirena I was on the 'Cerazette' pill which only contains progestogen, no estrogen. I was on it as because I'm overweight the normal estrogen pills give me increased risk of side effects. The Cerazette made my periods almost stop, I'd just get the occasional spotting every couple of months.

MasqueradeMinx wrote:

LS, I mean has anyone had or got the mirena coil who has also tried the mini pill which doesn't contain estrogen.

Yes, sorry I replied to that in the post above (: Sorry, I got a little confused.

Thanks for your reply LS, I tried cerazette but was spotting every other day as with all the mini pills I have tried.

Glad you found something that works for you.

MM xx

MasqueradeMinx wrote:

Thanks for your reply LS, I tried cerazette but was spotting every other day as with all the mini pills I have tried.

MM xx

): I always find it intriguing how everyone reacts differently to the same hormones! It freaked me out at first when Mirena stopped my periods entirely, I'm still not sure I like the fact I don't have periods.

I'm sure you'll find something that works for you, have you tried the implant? That is estrogen free.

Liquidsugar wrote:

MasqueradeMinx wrote:

MM xx

): I always find it intriguing how everyone reacts differently to the same hormones! It freaked me out at first when Mirena stopped my periods entirely, I'm still not sure I like the fact I don't have periods.

I'm sure you'll find something that works for you, have you tried the implant? That is estrogen free.

I know what you mean, I think it's that everyone has slighty different hormone levels, I am glad there are so many contraceptives around.

I think it would be weird to not have periods, I guess it would take some time to get used to.

I have considered the implant but I just don't like the idea, it creeps me out.

x

I love not having to worry about periods, I dread ever having to go back to them now that my family is complete!

*bump*

Just incase anyone has something to add.

x

MasqueradeMinx wrote:

Thanks *hugs back*, yes, been about 2.5 years back, so yes. I tried it to control my painful menstruation, but my pressure started to go up and my heart started to race and I felt really really bad in general so I had to go immediately off. Too scared now to try again. Took some time for my body to go back to normal (like a year).

Maybe did you talk to your doctor? To see if he has any experience from women who had similar problems as you did?

Laveila wrote:

MasqueradeMinx wrote:

Thanks *hugs back*, yes, been about 2.5 years back, so yes. I tried it to control my painful menstruation, but my pressure started to go up and my heart started to race and I felt really really bad in general so I had to go immediately off. Too scared now to try again. Took some time for my body to go back to normal (like a year).

Maybe did you talk to your doctor? To see if he has any experience from women who had similar problems as you did?

That sounds terrible, I am glad that there was no permanent side effects.

I got my IUD fitted at the sex clinic, I don't like my doctors.

I did ask them but they said that everyone is different but as the dose goes straight into the cervix like Blue Sapphire said, they are sometimes better for someone who has had problems with the mini pill. Of course to cover their backs they wouldn't give a definite answer or a case.

x

I got lucky, I think. I know other hormonal pills may not do it, but I dont dare to try. And after telling my OH he is more than happy to use condoms, his sister went through something similar.

I know they will never give final answer, but thats with every medicine, as we just react differently. Just if there is a chance it will be better for you based from previous experince. But reminding you it may not work for you.