He stole my pet bunnies and sold them! :'(

Me and my (ex) fiance broke up recently. All my stuff was at his place and i couldnt get in, including my two baby bunnies. I tried so hard to make him give them back, but I've just found out he sold them. I found the woman he sold them to, told her the story, told her i'd give her back the money she paid for them and even offered to buy her replacements, but she refused because "her daughter already loves them" :'( and there's nothing the police can do, because he bought me the bunnies in the first place for our 1year engagement anniversary, they were "legally his", even though i paid for all their food,bedding,treats etc since I got them and I was really attatched to them :'( I'm so devastated I can't even think straight or put it into words and my chest physically hurts :'(

I'm so sorry... How long did you have them? What are they like?

I only got them in July but I spent hours every day with them, and wanted them for over a year. They were teenie and black, and they used to love running at me, hopping into my lap and sitting there for hours whilst i stroked their little heads :'(

thedevils-little-helper wrote:

I only got them in July but I spent hours every day with them, and wanted them for over a year. They were teenie and black, and they used to love running at me, hopping into my lap and sitting there for hours whilst i stroked their little heads :'(

That is sooo cute!

I know this is a poor advice, but maybe get new ones? Baby bunnies too, they're easier to get attached to from the start and not think of them as mere replacements...

I can't do that. Could you just replace a dog after losing it? THOSE were my babies and I can't just replace them :(

Im really sorry to hear that :( At least you know they will be loved and looked after.

That is so mean and petty! Can't believe he would do that to you! :( I don't really know what to say, at least you know they'll have a good home and are being well cared for. I'm sorry for your loss x

Maybe concentrate on yourself for a while and pamper yourself, being single again and all. I wouldn't buy any new ones personally, I'd focus on looking after myself if I were you. Do you still have a teddy or cuddly throw? Things to snuggle into make for great therapy!

HappilyExperimenting wrote:

That is so mean and petty! Can't believe he would do that to you! :( I don't really know what to say, at least you know they'll have a good home and are being well cared for. I'm sorry for your loss x

Maybe concentrate on yourself for a while and pamper yourself, being single again and all. I wouldn't buy any new ones personally, I'd focus on looking after myself if I were you. Do you still have a teddy or cuddly throw? Things to snuggle into make for great therapy!

I wouldn't buy new ones, those were mine. new ones wouldnt be the same. :( i dont understand what i could possibly enjoy about being single again, he was my whole world :'(

Do you live near the woman who he sold them to? Maybe you could pop and see her again but instead of asking for them back, just let her know that you would really appreciate it if she would give you a call if she changes her mind?

i understand her daughter is attached now, but theres a chance once the novelty wears off that the mum might not want to continue looking after them if her daughter loses interest so might want to rehome them? That way you know they are being cared for but will be the first to know if shes looking to give them away/sell them in the future.

I dont suppose you had any insurance or vet bills in your name that you could argue you were the one paying for them?

JM88 wrote:

Do you live near the woman who he sold them to? Maybe you could pop and see her again but instead of asking for them back, just let her know that you would really appreciate it if she would give you a call if she changes her mind?

i understand her daughter is attached now, but theres a chance once the novelty wears off that the mum might not want to continue looking after them if her daughter loses interest so might want to rehome them? That way you know they are being cared for but will be the first to know if shes looking to give them away/sell them in the future.

I dont suppose you had any insurance or vet bills in your name that you could argue you were the one paying for them?

This is a great idea.

I have nothing to prove they were mine. There's nothing I can do about it :(

I'm so sorry to hear this :( I also know what you're going through and I know nothing will make it better but time. But trust that it will get better and when it does you'll realise what a lucky escape you've had, it seems people show their true colours at times like these and a man who could give away your beloved pets just to spite you is poison and not someone you want in your life.

Time helps the pain and you'll begin to heal, I promise.

That's horrible! I am so sorry :( I'm not sure how friendly the lady who has him now is, but maybe you could visit them? xx

obvbiously this man was not worth your time, i am so sorry.

Shy-Bee wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear this :( I also know what you're going through and I know nothing will make it better but time. But trust that it will get better and when it does you'll realise what a lucky escape you've had, it seems people show their true colours at times like these and a man who could give away your beloved pets just to spite you is poison and not someone you want in your life.

Time helps the pain and you'll begin to heal, I promise.

+1 ![](upload://lJMrTcqgi5lI1FOpb07OYOcv2YF.gif)

thedevils-little-helper wrote:

I have nothing to prove they were mine. There's nothing I can do about it :(

What about photos with them? Or photos of them in the house you were living in. Or emails/text messages around the time they were given to you?

In other contries, it is not neccessarily he who paid for them, but he who they were given to as a gift, that matters in family law. You could easily argue in court that if he had the intention of buying them for himself, then he wouldn't have sold them as soon as you left / was locked out of the house.

Glad to hear at least that you've escaped such a horrible person now before getting married!

OMG what a heartless bastard! Such a spiteful thing to do. You're well shot of him, and though it hurts like hell now hopefully with time you'll feel like you had a lucky break. Sorry for bad choice of words, but he sounds plain nasty.

Oh my :( I'm so so sorry x

TBH I think he's done you favour, If you're this devastated after just 2 months, imagine if you'd owned them 4 years only for them to die. actually probably best you don't imagine that 😢
Still, at least they won't be a reminder of him for ever more, and look how happy that little girl is.
Oh BTW, this really isn't a matter for the police, If you want to pursue him, do it through civil law not criminal law.

I think the idea of offering to take them back if the woman or her daughter get bored with them is excellent. Beyond that I think all you can do is try to draw the positives from what has happened. When I read your earlier thread I was privately very concerned he might do something much worse. At least they are out of his control now and given his apparent lack of moral compass that has to be a good thing.

And you will eventually come to see that you had a lucky escape from an involvement with someone who quite clearly does not care for you and is quite prepared to do outrageous things to other just in spite.

As an animal lover I know the deep grief you feel being parted from animals you have been close to. We used to work with the Cats Protection and over the years fostered hundreds of cats in our house before finding homes for them. Even knowing they would not be ours for ever from the outset didn't insulate us from the feelings of loss when they left but to know they were well looked after was the thing we held onto.

I would urge you to think about getting another pet. There are lots of animals out there that need a good loving home and if you can give that to some it's the right thing to do.