How do condoms really affect sex for men?

I didn't want or intend to scare you. I was just telling you about my personal expderience. My gp said my reaction to mirena isn't common and alot/most women get on fine with it. I didn't have any other issues with it though. Have you thought about the contraceptive patch? I've tried but wasn't great for me as it didn't stick to well to my skin, and the nurse at my conraception clinic said that even if one edge comes slightly unstuck than your level of protection could be compromised, No matter what contraception you use, there is always going to be something in your body hormone wise I mean, unless you opt for the copper coil or diaphram/cap. these diaphram/caps aren't too reliable (beteween 90 and 96/7% I think if used perfectly) and they are old fashioned methods of contraception and some need spermicidal gel to help make them more effective, but the gel can cause irritation/thrush and you have to make sure you put it in, in time/leave it in for long enough afterwards. I wouldn't advise anything with hormones if you can help it, they won't harm you, but long term use for me on the pill, then mirena has somewhat confused my system. lol. It is slowly reverting back to normal and I feel I am ready to move on after my miscarriage to start trying again for a baby with my oh.

I don't know what else to suggest, only you know what is best and the right decision for you. Good Luck.

rb

xx

Lady G have you thought of implants or even has he thought of the snip?

No we want more children in the future we are still both very young we just don't want two children so young. I have had the implant before and it messed with my depression medication and made me suicidal and.. well loopy! Which is why I have opted for the copper coil (no hormones). But are the side effects only heavy periods? Because mine are pretty bad anyway. I have only a few hours to decide now.. do I or don't I?

Do it! yes that is the only side effect and a minimal risk of perforation but if it's fitted by a trained doctor in fitting them properly than it is very unlikely. I doubt your periods woukd be any worse then if they are qite bad now.

good luck!

x

I have a IUD and it is the best thing I have used.

On to condoms, all I know is that when I have used it cuts out a lot of feeling. The OH says that condoms on are more like friction that movement. Whilst neither of us like them, we did use them before I got the IUD.

Unless either have a latex allergy or something I don't see why he would refuse to use them - whilst they aren't great they are better than pregnancy or an std.

Nobody has mentioned femidoms. No I haven't tried them yet but just wondered if anyone has any opinions on them...

Mamanda wrote:

Lady.Gasm.X wrote:

No we want more children in the future we are still both very young we just don't want two children so young. I have had the implant before and it messed with my depression medication and made me suicidal and.. well loopy! Which is why I have opted for the copper coil (no hormones). But are the side effects only heavy periods? Because mine are pretty bad anyway. I have only a few hours to decide now.. do I or don't I?

Have you thought about the Depo Proverra injection? That's what I had for a couple of years.

If you are talking about what I think you are these also have hormones in. Plus i'm rubbish at time keeping and would most likely forget to keep going.. :|

x

suziq71 wrote:

Nobody has mentioned femidoms. No I haven't tried them yet but just wondered if anyone has any opinions on them...

I have heard femidoms can be rather noisy.. and I know my OH would refuse these too :(

x

In my own experience I have never had a problem with condoms, although sex does feel better without them, I have only ever gone condomless in my current relationship, seeing as we have been together for 12 years now & my other half prefers me without one on & she is on the pill.

My wife used the coil for about 10 years with no side effects. Everyone's different in their reaction to different methods of contraception, you just have to find the right one that works for you. I'd say give the coil a go, it'll probably be fine.

I really don't have a problem using condoms. Obviously in a LTR it's much better actually to be able to empty myself into the person I love but when I'm with someone new it doesn't seem a lot to ask that I spens a few seconds puttingt one on and lose a bit of sensitivity just to respect and protect her.

Its only 1 for a short period. I know wearing a condom stops the flow of sex, (Stopping to put 1 on etc) but its only for a short period xxx

I hate condoms, but if it was just for a short time that I didn't have any other method of contraception then I would use them.

My boyfriend and I have never really used them. I'm on the pill, so unless anything happens that might have distrupted that like me being unwell, then we go without them. I find they feel awful and for some reason they make me dry up, plus he really doesn't like them either.

I've only used them a few times, they do make you less sensitive, yeah. But I've found that when I do wear one, I can go for longer, so it's win win :-)

Obviously, not having a condom on is a better sensation than with but for my oh and I, it's our current method of contraception.

I'm not a fan of them and I've been reading some reviews on here about the thinner ones etc in the hope that I can find something a little more natural. There's probably nothing that can get close enough though given that the sensation goes from feeling the movemen, temperature and texture down to just pressure and friction.

I know I keep pushing my luck before my oh says that it's time to put a hat on but it's just so much nicer without. We want another kid so I can't really have the snip until after then. We've had a brief chat about alternatives but I don't want to pressure since all those alternatives are pretty much about some sort of invasion of my oh's body or hormone balance.

I'm not going to pass comment on whether or not your oh is being unreasonable, I will just say that there's a marked difference in the sensation and for some, I guess it's a big thing.

tinman wrote:

Obviously, not having a condom on is a better sensation than with but for my oh and I, it's our current method of contraception.

I'm not a fan of them and I've been reading some reviews on here about the thinner ones etc in the hope that I can find something a little more natural. There's probably nothing that can get close enough though given that the sensation goes from feeling the movemen, temperature and texture down to just pressure and friction.

I know I keep pushing my luck before my oh says that it's time to put a hat on but it's just so much nicer without. We want another kid so I can't really have the snip until after then. We've had a brief chat about alternatives but I don't want to pressure since all those alternatives are pretty much about some sort of invasion of my oh's body or hormone balance.

I'm not going to pass comment on whether or not your oh is being unreasonable, I will just say that there's a marked difference in the sensation and for some, I guess it's a big thing.

Thank you for that, I suppose you are right. I had the coil fitted today and I hope he appreciates the sacrafice!

x

good luck with that

....I feel a bit out of place here...I don't mind condoms at all....It might reduce sensation , but for me its marginal...I'm very sensitive so I dont mind this at all. Helps me last longer.

There again I do like latex. We were once caught short and the only place open on the way home (and I knew I'd definately need them when I got there) was lidl's ... bought a pack....they were pretty narrow in girth and tight to put on.....I found the sensation exciting.........it actually added to the night!

I went in again and the brand was different :(

Hey ho

suziq71 wrote:

We have tried Femidoms, specifically the Passante Female Condom. We have a full review from the malke and female perspective at our sextoy review blog and on the lovehoney page for this product, but the basic summary would be it is like having sex with a plastic bag. Would not recommend.

Alex.

We tried some. They required more thought and time to use than a male condom.

need to use a thin condom. i have had so many probs with condoms ... size issues, feeling issues............