✨ How have things changed - Feedback needed!

Hi,

I think it is more openly discussed, definitely more in mainstream media and on TV without always being relegated to ‘shock factor’ programming, although there Is still an element of that.

I think in certain areas there is more recognition of gender differences and people not always fitting into specific or traditional roles, but I think there is a long way to go for widespread acceptance there.

Sex toys have definitely evolved, as has other technology. I think that with the increasing acceptance of the use of toys the pace of change may increase. I think the pace would have been quicker before this cost of living crisis. Prior to this I think there would have been more investment in sex toys and more research and development to look to creat toys that offer something different to what there is today, but I worry that any investment now would be tempered by the view that sex toys will be a luxury people have to cut back on, and are less willing to take a chance on something new rather than the tried and tested things that people have found work for them.

3 Likes

I definitely think people are more open to talking and learning about sex. My sex education was about periods. Thats it.

Even at home, my mum put a video on about periods and left the room and when it was over she asked if I had any questions and that was it.

I think young people have exposure to sex more than they have an education for it though. Its everywhere they look and there is no way that education and sexual health can keep up with it.

Alternative sex is becoming more popular too, bdsm seems very popular and I think 50 shades has a lot to do with that. It has brought it to the mainstream, there should be oodles more education about bdsm too. So many ‘doms’ think its about being rough with women. I’ve had a few men saying they want to ‘destroy’ various parts and have me begging for more like a good little sub. They get the side eye for that shite.

Sex on TV at least in the UK seems pretty normal now. There are sex toys for every possible want/need and toys that are aimed at transgender people. Those toys would never even have been considered maybe even 5 years ago, I would think anyway.

Personally I am more sexually free in the last nearly 5 months than I have ever been but that is mostly down to meeting someone on the same sexual wave length. I’ve been on a fabulous site and felt empowered to be as sexual as I wanted to be but I still always held parts back. In Aug/Sept I revisited and decided that I was going to live out every fantasy and everything I ever wanted to do. And I did some bits amd my sexual confidence has never been so high. I’m doing things now that I never thought I would and loving every bit of it.

2 Likes

The conversation has changed. I’m married with two young kids and after our sex life had more or less died due to kids, work, stress, previous sexual trauma, my wife and I tried therapy and made a commitment to improving our intimate connection.
I have since looked at lots of websites, bought toys and lingerie (from the wonderful LH) and listened to a lot of podcasts on work commutes.
We are delighted with the amount of female led, sex positive information there is available and it’s been a huge help. From watching Sex, Love and Goop together to listening to the likes of Layla Martin, Susan Bratton and Emily Nagoski, it’s all been a huge help to us.
Women are now openly owning their right to sexual pleasure, talking about it and men are finding new ways to be emotionally articulate.
As a man, this has not particularly changed my conversations with other men (as yet - although it is beginning) but my wife has been talking with her friends about our journey.
However, it has changed the conversation in our relationship, which is the best start.
I love making love with my wife, being adventurous and having long passionate play dates but I now / we now see this as something more deeply about our spiritual connection with each other.
I’m grateful to the leaders in society who are helping us with this, and to places like LoveHoney that are giving us the opportunity to explore, experiment and evolve.

There’s always 100 Day Money Back Promise if an item doesn’t float your boat! :smiley:

2 Likes

speaking of which, is it available and free for anywhere, or if the delivery is more expensive it’s different?

1 Like

I know I’m adding to what many have said before me. Perhaps less eloquently and certainly in a more sprawling manner. But, in short, I think the conversations around sex have changed monumentally both for better and worse.

As a member of the last generation able to remember a childhood before the ubiquity of internet and mobile phones as super-computer’s being passé, I see a difference in how conversations have developed, grown and changed in the generations I’m bracketed by as well as my own.

I think we talk more about sex now, I’m not sure how ‘openly’ on the whole but there are certainly ‘spaces’ where people express ideas with less inhibition. Be they online or physical. I am curious as to how people speak about sex amongst peers and friends outside of those dedicated spaces.

Sexual health and wellness cannot be ignored for its impact on conversations about sex. I am glad that stigma has been challenged enough to allow the for things like HIV preventative medication and/or treatment. Had we been more open to conversations around sex sooner, we might still have some of our lost darlings. I’m glad our young people may never know the horror and suffering of a disease silenced by shame.

I worry that for all its good, ‘sexual wellness’ as an industry is keeping a scary silence on conversations around material toxicity, sustainability, labour and regulations that are yet to be meaningfully tackled. I hope the people and retailers we trust with our bodies will respect us enough to have those conversations soon.

As for the cyberspace, it is my opinion that the access to and dissemination of information about sex (or anything else for that matter) has been a double edged sword. For people, young and old to be able to access information about their bodies, sexuality and interests in a way that allows them to feel in control, less awkward, less confronted and safer is a wonderful thing. Of course it is.

I’m also acutely aware of and concerned by the amount and rate at which misinformation, bullying, harassment etc. has entered these new spaces. My generation didn’t have parents that really understood firewalls, parental controls or search history and as much fun as that was, I know I saw things I probably wasn’t equipped for and things that have shaped parts of my sexual life, like it or lump it. Digital natives might have savvier parents, but the kids will always have proxy servers and VPN’s. Take that mum and dad!

Arguably, sexual content online is the ‘Video Nasties’ of a few generations to come and we are starting to see censorship in all its forms of well-meaning or ill-intent but much like Mary Whitehouse, these attempts will likely fade into obscurity and be recalled as equally futile.

So, our conversations about sex have changed in that they have grown in their complexity and wonder. I hope and believe, however optimistically that the gains for the better outweigh the negative. The healthier, happier, orgasmier people, the better. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Ok, so maybe I am going to show my age here (37), but…
I remember when I was at college (20 years ago) that sex was something that made you blush and if it came up in conversation, you changed the subject. A trip to high street competitor was something seedy and you walked past the shop front 20 times before getting the courage up to walk in (now, I grin like a cheshire cat when I walk out of there with a bag because I know that I am in for a fun session with my beloved)! I put this down to inexperience, but I think it was just the time we were living in.

Forward to today, and I personally am happy to talk about sex anywhere to anybody that wants to talk! I have had quite a bit of experience - using sex toys, food play, role play, lingerie, participating in anal play (which I was always terrified of!) and I love to watch sex-related documentaries!

When I talk to ‘vanilla’ folk who say that sex is something you do only on a friday night, in bed, lights off in missionary position, I feel it is my calling to open their eyes to the sexual sunrise. I believe that sex is more than a physical act - it is a spiritual and emotional connection.

When it comes to sex education…I remember being taught that sex caused male ejaculation which released sperm from the male that penetrated your egg and got you pregnant. Aarrgghh!!! I would like the emotional and spiritual side of sex to be explored during sexual education in schools…about the connection you have with another being (no matter what gender), that it is ok to explore your body by touching yourself, how an orgasm isn’t the be all and end all of sex (although it is an amazing experience), how sex toys are there to enhance your senses not something to be terrified of (although some still ‘scare’ me!!).

What does scare me though is the amount of youngsters (and older people) who put themselves having sex all over the internet - sure, it’s each to their own, but I think technology has made this far too easy, and I think people nowadays see this as a fast way to make money.

(I hope nothing I’ve said here offends or upsets anybody - if it does, it is unintentional)

2 Likes