Hubby trying not to masturbate for fertility?

After putting it off for a long time me and my hubby are trying to get pregnant. One bit of advice we have been given is that he should abstain from masturbating to 'build up' the swimmers! He has been trying to do this since last year but admitted he is struggling as he has masturbated almost daily for a long time. Has anyone been in similar situation, have any advice or is trying to abstain a waste of time?

There were some good points made about sperm amount and quality in a thread the other day that you may find useful.

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/sex-tips-and-talk/1765992-how-to-produce-more-semen/

They're not masturabtion abstinence tips as such but I hope they help. 🙂

jadeybaby35 wrote:

After putting it off for a long time me and my hubby are trying to get pregnant. One bit of advice we have been given is that he should abstain from masturbating to 'build up' the swimmers! He has been trying to do this since last year but admitted he is struggling as he has masturbated almost daily for a long time. Has anyone been in similar situation, have any advice or is trying to abstain a waste of time?

Hi jadeybaby35

Abstaining from masturbating will only help him 'build up' swimmers to a certain point: after 48 hours, his body will reabsorb excess sperm anyway. This means there's never any point abstaining for more than 2 days.

It's far more important that he has a healthy diet and lifestyle (low stress, good diet, no drinking or smoking), keeps his balls a healthy temperature and away from radiation (keep that phone out of his pocket and that laptop off his lap) and avoids activities which are brutal on the balls (like running and cycling).

Some supplements can help, such as taking zinc and eating foods which will increase his testosterone levels, but he should talk to his GP before taking anything new.

After that, how fertile he is is really down to genetics. Your best bet would be to get those swimmers tested at a fertility clinic, and get some proper medical advice.

Good luck!

Oh, and remember, amount of ejaculate is rarely linked to the amount of sperm (most of the stuff in jizz is water!)

Jess is spot on, when you have to give sperm samples in places like fertility clinics, they will say to abstain for no more than 3 days!

Avoiding hot baths are a must, as Jess mentioned temperature is a big factor and keeping the balls at outer body temperature is vital. Actually, you can get ball cooling undies now, these were designed with cyclists in mind!

Good luck on your TTC journey, try to keep stress levels down and enjoy it. It can get very emotional /stressful at times.

As already stated above, he doesn't *need* to fully abstain from masturbating. If you'd like to add some spice and if this is your cup of tea, you could have him wear a cock cage (metal recommended) and you can hold the keys. 😉 Wishing you the best of luck! ❤

I have heard about the theory that abstaining from sexual activity helps because there's 'more' of it. I have also recently read a study about fertility and the potency of sperm. The results suggested that women got pregnant quicker from the second ejaculate (having sex twice within a few hours) compared with couples who had sex just once. The theory being that the second ejaculate was more potent because it was fresher. However I don't know how other possible factors were controlled.

Point being there's theories for both. I would of though the fertility of a man's sperm was down to the individual, whether it was saved up or not.

Having not long been in your position myself, the best advice I can give you is to not let it consume you! I know that's easier said than done, and I never thought I'd become as obsessed as I did. It's mentally and emotionally draining! All you really need to do is take the advice from people above, basic lifestyle changes if necessary, and have fun trying!

I wish you the best of luck!

Some might say TMI but hubby and I had a very narrow window in which to become pregnant in (I didn’t want a late birthdate for baby as I wanted them to be one of the eldest in the class not the youngest). He works shifts and I work from home 8am-6pm. During my fertile days he was working nights- absolute nightmare! Anyway, I was researching and found that doggy position was best for the little swimmers to reach their destination as it wasn’t an uphill swim. We had sex every other day and fell pregnant on our first try. I used fertility friend app to track fertility and this combination seemed to work. Was told sex everyday can be too much so we opted for every other day for that week. We were very relaxed about it all which I think helped :) Good luck!!

TTC can be a roller coaster of emotions. We have gone through a vasectomy, vasectomy reversal, fertility treatment, followed by IVF. As said multiple times above anything past a three day hold is counter productive. No tight fitting garments for him, heat lowers sperm count. There are several supplements that can help, black macca was the only one we found to actually increase mobility. It takes about three months for sperm to go through a complete cycle, the time it takes new sperm to reach maturity. I wish you strength and patience. You will get there!!