Ideas for wedding?

Sorry this is very off topic, but just wondered if any creative love honeys have any bright ideas. OH and I are finally getting married in our 40s, been together forever but always against getting married for lots of reasons. I'm struggling to plan the ceremony, in a lovely place with close folks but just can't get my head round the actual ceremony. Will it be too odd if we arrive together? My parents and brother are no longer around so otherwise will be a friend. Our 12 yr old daughter is very excited so feel like she needs some sort of bridesmaid role, but can't see how it would be. Why is it always more complicated to try and keep things simple!! Very much now want to be married, and looking forward to our party the next day, but can't imagine ceremony. Have nice frock, but not a wedding dress, now worried I'll look silly and it won't look like a wedding at all. In a right stew, sorry. If anyone has had a simple fuss free wedding would love to hear from you. Apologies I do know this is a very boring post for most on here!!!

i've never planned a wedding so can't help with plans

but remember it is your day and if you want to do things like arrive together then there's nothing stopping you doing it. the people coming are your friends and family and will be happy with whatever happens. wear what you want to, do what you want to, it'll create better memories

oh and congratulations!

Thanks sweet love. Wise words I needed to hear!!!

Going through the same thing, planning the wedding, we have a motto... that day is our day... and we wont be changing it!

Just have a real good knees up with friends and family. Get everyone to take pictures and post them on facebook.

Im currently planning my wedding (infact so organised its all planned)

Your wedding is about what you want and how u picture the day. So what that you dont have the traditional wedding dress - Im sure your dress is beautiful and its you! Picking the right flowers will compliment everything.

I didnt go for the traditional bridal shoes but found shoes i loved and had some hand crafted bits and bobs stiched onto them. If you wanted go all out on the shoes and keep your hair simple.

As for your daughter - if your not having a traditional bridal dress then dont put her in a traditional bridemaid dress. Go shopping together a buy a simple dress that compliments hers. A new dress and poss new shoes for the day will make it special and her feel as if she is a little bridemaid princess for the day.

The ceremony itself should also be unique to you. My OH and I have written our own vows and we are having a poem recited. If you wanted white church candles down the isle or to walk on clowns then thats what u want

Don't sweat it - the most important thing is - you and your OH are making a commitment to spend the rest of your lives togther! This and only this matters!

xxx

Mine is on this Friday, the most important thing we have found is make it your day, if you want to do somthing one way then do it, it may not be the convential way or it may upset a few people to do things one way but in the end its your day so do/wear what makes you happy, not other people.

we took a taxi to the registry office took a taxi back and had the reception for 9 family and friends at our home...a good day was had by all and it cost very little.

have a great day and do what you want not what others want.

Do what you want(well what the bride wants) thats what I am learning from being involved in planning our wedding later this year.

Personally, I think if you have been together a while then there is nothing wrong with making it a bit special, Kick him out to the best mans the night before, that way you can both get ready at your lesiure the following day, plus its going to make it slightly more of a surprise for him to see you and your girl walking down the aisle if he hasnt seen you getting ready all day.

Big Yin all the best for Friday, and all the Fridays after that...enjoy!!!

Jose our daughter agrees with you, and we've decided OH and our teen twin lads are getting kicked out, so us girls can get ready and wow them. Thinking about the arrival bit too.

Miss Teach you sound like you're very organised! We have written our vows; more sort of "we will continue ..."as we have been committed for years!

Mr BG and Gunther thanks for the reminder that simple is good. And yes my frock is from Coast as well, I'm very pleased with it.

I think yesterday I'd had enough of my OHs families opinions! So great to be reassured here x

Sleazysue wrote:

Mr BG and Gunther thanks for the reminder that simple is good. And yes my frock is from Coast as well, I'm very pleased with it.

I think yesterday I'd had enough of my OHs families opinions! So great to be reassured here x

We just presented the two families with the fact we paid for everything no opinions were sought or given I am protestant and my wife catholic we wernt going to have any religion issues so it was the registry office the service was at 10.30 AM we were well on the way to being sozzled by 12.30. First time some guests had drunk Champagne

• Ebay, ebay and ebay again. So many good bargains.
  • Small bowls of traditional style sweets
  • Home made soup

Don't be swayed by anyone elses ideas of what weddings should be - you do what you want to do. It's about you and your partner, not all of your friends/families opinions. If they want to have a wedding a certain way they should go and get married instead of trying to boss other people about. If you go with what others want you will regret it.

Congratulations to you both - many more happy years to come :)

Sleazysue wrote:

Big Yin all the best for Friday, and all the Fridays after that...enjoy!!!

Cheers, looking forward to it, just getting the final bits and bobs sorted out

MasqueradeMinx wrote:

• Ebay, ebay and ebay again. So many good bargains.

So true, and also local wedding forums if you have them in your area. Oh's dress came from eBay £99 delivered, custom made in China to her body measurments, we did have to pay VAT though but there is no need to pay a fortune for a dress to wear only on one day, also meant she could justify getting a pair of Jimmy Choos at £350...haha....but she will use them again.

The best wedding i've been to was in the couples back garden overlooking a view, it didn't cost much but it sticks out as everyone was so relaxed, including the couple.

It doesn't matter what anybody else expects, it's you and your fiance's special day and you can make it whatever you want it to be! If you want your daughter to be a bridesmaid then go for it, I'm sure it will make for very beautiful pictures. Don't leave yourself open to regret and wondering what you might have been missing out on.

My mom married my stepfather in a small wedding. She wore a blue dress with tiny white flowers on it and a dark blue blazer over it with a pink boutonniere. My stepdad wore black trousers with a white shirt. They had the ceremony in a registry office then held the reception at my nan's house afterwards. It was a very informal day and my mom has since said that it didn't feel like it was special at all and it seemed like more of an excuse for people to get drunk than to celebrate her nuptuals.