Wedding dress shopping

Hey everyone, so as some of you are aware we are getting married in September, no wedding dress bought yet, next week we both are going to look for one, brides maids aren’t ever available, no parents live local… so we are going together and everyone has this opinion of “the groom isn’t allowed to see the dress” a couple of people are actually getting pissed of that we are going to go together, this really isn’t a problem is it? We both don’t mind going together we do everything together we are not only nearly husband and wife but best friends too, some are even saying that the groom won’t be allowed in the shop is that also true? We think not but you never know.

We understand that most people go with their friends and things like that but why does it actually matter?

Anyone else experienced this we personally couldn’t give 2 shits about what people we know are saying as we always just do US and that’s what we want to do, but there seems to be a lot of stigma about this.

Happy weekend all!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart::blush:

4 Likes

I took my wife dress shopping as we booked it and only had weeks to get it sorted.
All I did was wait outside the shops, so traditon was followed!

1 Like

My now wife and I picked her dress together as we got married in Florida that was 19 years ago.

If theres one piece of advice to couples getting married, its get married ABROAD its your day, why should you pay for other peoples enjoyment (unless you want to send ££££’s ?)

When you get back from your marriage/honeymoon and youre expected to have a “do” here, use the cost to go away again somewhere relaxing?

Just my thought that’s what we did

1 Like

It’s all down to personal choice who you want to go shopping with. There are no rules about who has to be there with you when buying your wedding dress.

Have a wonderful time together shopping for your dress.

1 Like

It’s your wedding. Do it exactly the way you want you.

5 Likes

Yeah ok its a tradition that probably started over something stupid but so what, you’re going to do what you want.
To avoid the whole startled surprise reaction from the staff at the dress shop, when the appointment is booked you could just say you’re both coming in. If there are any issues then don’t go to that shop :tipping_hand_man:t2:

1 Like

I hated wedding dress shopping, if I were doing it now Id get a nice jumpsuit or something. Traditional isnt really my style. We had a very non traditional venue.

As above, why not. Do what works for you both x

1 Like

Do what you want.
Are u getting married in a church? Sorry being nosy.
I would just say get going with the shopping soon as you don’t have much time.

1 Like

We are getting married in September too! I did consider taking my OH with me too for the same reasons as you, but went with my friends in the end. He has seen my dress though as there is no way I could keep it secret and as we’re eloping to Gretna Green, he’s going to have to help me dress anyway!

1 Like

It’s only a tradition and not law so if you both don’t mind going together then why not :relieved: I think it’s kinda sweet in ways that you’ll be choosing it together as is like a lovely bond building thing

1 Like

We are indeed not for religious reasons as the vicar well knows, it’s basically next to our house lol.

We are in no way superstitious lol we went to a wedding fare today and looked at a few and will probably be going shopping the 2 of us and the baby next week :grin:

Yer we have no way of it being hidden either lol

Yer we would love to go on holiday but the kids passports have ran out or they just don’t have one and Steve’s has ran out too last month, as we have no one to have the kids for more than a day it isn’t feasible for us, and we both don’t really like staycation we would rather be somewhere hot lol

Thanks all we will be going shopping together next week for one.

1 Like

I went wedding dress shopping with my Mum and we kept the dress a secret. I loved my dress, it was soooo me in a way I can’t explain.
However, one week before the wedding my husband and I were watching a wedding TV show and he said “wow that dress is so you “ and he pointed out the most unique indie style dress I’ve ever seen and I wished I’d taken him shopping with me… he wanted to buy me the dress despite it being 4k but it wouldn’t have arrived in time for fitting etc and I’d already got a dress.

I loved my dress but I must admit my husband seemed to have some incredible taste and I think you should do whatever suits you. It doesn’t matter about traditions, it matters about what you both want x

1 Like

Yer I really value his opinion he has really good taste too, and always tells me the truth, or would say it would look better if it had this done to it instead and i take a look and I’m like yer you have a point I wish i could see things through his eyes sometimes lol, he’s the same with me though he won’t buy a single item of clothing without me being there to give him my opinion if I don’t like it he won’t get it, we don’t have a budget we are more like if we like it we will buy it kind of people regardless if it’s £600 or £6000, it’s not the price it’s the look. X x

1 Like

Exactly , have fun - you’ll have the most amazing day I’m sure x

1 Like

I asked hubby if he wanted to come with me as his is the main opinion which matters to me! But he wanted to stick with tradition so he didn’t want to.

If you are both happy with going together, then do it!

1 Like

Me and my hubby went together. He didnt see the dress on that i picked but i wanted him there. Hes my best friend

1 Like