Implant out-fertility awareness

Jet got the implant out! Yay! So from what I know of the cycle I'm in the luteal phase, but I haven't ovulated so I shouldn't be fertile until the 5th day of my period or until I start producing fertile CM right? Would like one last night of sex before condoms if it's pretty safe. After that I won't use fertility awaeness until my third cycle but just for now I'd say I was relatively safe right?

You should be fine today hun but the hormones in the implant are meant to leave pretty quickly.That being said I didn't have a period for 6 months after having mine out....

You don't ovulate on it though so you're not in the luteal phase even if it has been x number of says since your last TOM and your cycle could be out of whack for a while, you're prob best using condoms even before your next TOM unless you're trying to get pregnant.

You can ovulate at any time after having the implant removed, even if you had a bleed recently, as the bleeding you experienced won't have been a real period (most likely a breakthrough or withdrawal bleed). It's best to stay completely protected for at least 3 cycles while you learn the method as you might not be like clock-work straight away, I know it's frustrating as I wanted to get going straight away too!

We used condoms for a couple of months after having my coil out until I felt more confident :)

I was told the min it was out I was no longer safe!!! Ive just had mine removed and had/finished my first period since. Ive notice im so much more turned on now n my boob have doubled in two months :O

I wouldn't be going condom free unless it was 100% safe, which as far as I am aware it isn't?

Plus even if tonight is safe, would tomorrow be safe? Would the next 5 odd days (up to 7 according to some sites) of potentially having living sperm still inside you be safe?

I wouldn't risk it, especially with the lovely thin/real feel condoms they have nowadays :)

Lovebirds_x wrote:

I wouldn't be going condom free unless it was 100% safe, which as far as I am aware it isn't?

Plus even if tonight is safe, would tomorrow be safe? Would the next 5 odd days (up to 7 according to some sites) of potentially having living sperm still inside you be safe?

I wouldn't risk it, especially with the lovely thin/real feel condoms they have nowadays :)

+1ing this ! I'd be sticking with condoms too.

Lovebirds_x wrote:

1100% agree

Condoms are not 100% effective either. I can understand why people aren't comfortable with the idea of going 'unprotected' (that's fair enough) but FAM is over 99% effective IF you use it properly, so if somebody feels that it's the best choice for them I don't understand why they should be discouraged. It's a shame it still has such a bad name for itself, its very effective. It's not for everyone, but it shouldn't be automatically dismissed if you haven't researched the method thoroughly for yourself.

Your contraception is your business, do whatever you feel comfortable with :)

Gutted, I was thinking because progesterone is the luteal phase hormone I would have a period before ovulation. I think nor,ally that would be true but as its artificial you can't really be sure I suppose.

guess it'll be condoms for my new few cycles then, thanks guys

Yeah... So we had unprotected sex, I'm confident it'll be fine, at doctors today for a contraceptive cap

Yikes! *slap on the wrist* haha!

Are they fitting you with one today then? Loads of doctors don't do that anymore so it's good that yours will! There's apparently a really good brand you can get online too which doesn't need to be sized but I can't remember what it is! I think I learned about it on the TCOYF forums, but diaphragms creep me out so I've never tried it haha xx

No I think they are referring me to get one fitted, it's rediculous they offer every pill going but not the cap. They weren't even going to take my implant out until I'd got the cap but I pretty much demanded it, we've got condoms, just wanted our last unprotected lol bit worried I might have an allergy to condoms though, only used them once before and I got thrush but it was my first so maybe just that looking forward to just using FAM

My mum got pregnant a few days after she got hers out he fertility rocketed straight away so just be careful. Condoms aren't all that bad :)

I personally like condoms...as Lovebirdsx says, there are so many thin and real feel type ones. Also they offer protection against unwanted pg and STIs, so good all-rounders.

I find they desensitise OH a bit more, so we can go a bit longer. When I was pg we went bareback the whole time, and most times it was all over too soon! Not that it wasn't hot, it was, but I like to go as long as possible!

Youngandfun, if you think you're allergic try the latex free ones, your nearest family planning clinic will give you them for free. I find them loads more comfortable. I can dry out really quickly with regulars but the durex latex frees are divine ☺️

I can't have been fertile hours after it came out surely :/ I've bought some mates latex free ones, actually looking forward to trying them tbh, feeling empowered without my implant :)

Young and fun95 wrote:

I can't have been fertile hours after it came out surely :/ I've bought some mates latex free ones, actually looking forward to trying them tbh, feeling empowered without my implant :)

The website for the implant says that its possible to become pregnant during the first week that the implant is taken out as you are no longer covered once it is removed. Additional contraception should be used once the implant is removed.

Didnt the nurse who removed it say anything about needing another form of contraception?

Im suprised your doctor who removed it left u ill informed mine was excellent she told me basically as from the day I had it removed I need to use protection. If your worried take morning aftr pill!! Theyalso shouldnt b pprescribing any drug etc if there is a chance you could be pregnant which there is x

I know that they say you're technically not protected, but from my knowledge of the cycle I figured it hold you in a post ovulatory, pre menstrual state, especially with it being only a couple of hours after.

My period has turned up now so I think I'm fine. I know it was a bit of a risk but I really didn't want to risk latex again and kinda wanted our last time lol looking forward to condoms now lol

treated myself to some luxury tampons ;)

Latex free etc r meant to be good