Ingrowing hairs

I haven't had sex in what feels like a very long time so I haven't been too worried about my pubic hair style lately. I keep it all tidy as I prefer it that way but now that I've started dating again it's occured to me that sometime soon I may have to get naked in front of someone. Eek!

I am quite self concious about how I look down there anyway but what makes it worse is that I get really bad ingrowing hairs. I don't tend to shave, I usually pluck or epilate and try to be as gentle as possible and pull them out in the right direction etc.

But nothing works! They turn into massive lumps and look awful and are really painful.

Does anyone know of any cream or technique that will help this?!

Thanks! x

i dont have lady bits but on another thread a lady said she used exfoliating scrub to prevent it

Hello,

I am not sure what to advice you. But as someone, who cannot shave or epilate (even shaving my legs is actually painful for me thanks to my skin condition), I found out that guys do not mind some pubic hair, as long as it is trimmed and clean. Especially if you explain to them what problem you have. In case nothing helps.

But hopefully someone will be able to give you some advice about what to try.

Laveila wrote:

I found out that guys do not mind some pubic hair, as long as it is trimmed and clean. Especially if you explain to them what problem you have. In case nothing helps.

Spot on Lavelia Mrs G gets psoriasis if she shaves and I prefer hair to discomfort soreness and rashes

I have no problem with it at all infact I dont like completely shaved, to me its a bit of a turn off.

I knew one guy who loved hair he said he would be happiest if it went to her knees

have you tried something like veet? you can use it on the bikini line and i find i dont tend to get ingrown hair with it. just stick to the sensitive stuff and always do a 24hr patch test

I use a natural sponge every morning to smoothe the skin and moisturise morning and night. A good exfoliator twice a week helps too. I used to get really bad ingrowing hairs, and doing this has helped me.

Exfoliate gently before and after hair removal. I tried *EVERYTHING* and this was the only thing that worked! Also don't let too much regrowth between each removal too!

Adxx

As you can see this is not just a problem you have I too get ingrown hairs and yes they get inflammed and sore I used to pull them out with a pin and then put loads of sudacream on to stop infection I do not advise you or anyone to do this it is complete madness !!! As AD has mentioned exfoliating is the best way just started doing that a few months ago and also putting a very hot facecloth on before shaving as it opens the pores and should stop the problem completely, well it has in my case,if in doubt trim for a while and give the razor a rest.

I use a gentle facial scrub before shaving, rinse well because it will blunt a blade double quick time. Then a shave oil instead of a foam or gel, it does have menthol in it but doesnt effect my skin which is a little sensitive.

Unless you want a really smooth finish, for special occasions :), I shave in the direction of hair growth. It isnt quite as smooth as against the growth but reduces the ingrowing hair problem.

Afterwards use a moisturiser to look after the skin.

If you so get an ingrowing hair sudocreme is ace

xGGx

ghostgirl wrote:

I use a gentle facial scrub before shaving, rinse well because it will blunt a blade double quick time. Then a shave oil instead of a foam or gel, it does have menthol in it but doesnt effect my skin which is a little sensitive.

Conditioner!

I use conditioner instead of shaving products. Much slicker (much the same as an oil I suppose but I'd worry about cutting myself if I used an oil. I don't have steady hands).

Adxx

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I've tried veet in the past and really don't get on with it for some reason, find it leaves me really stubbly and it grows back really fast.

I'm going to start to use an unscented, gentle moisturiser and exfoliate more often to see if that does the trick!

I've developed a very bad habit of when I spot an ingrowing hair I try my hardest to get it out which usually results in it becoming worse than it was before! So I'm going to try and stop doing that.

I've got one at the moment though and I can see and feel where it's lying lenthways underneath the skin, it's about 1-1.5 cm long. Yuck! So tempting to try and pull it out!

Hi I've experienced this in the past it can be pretty painful I ended up going to the doctors with mine as was driving me mad an she gave me a cream (fucidin) to use on the lump/spots an advised me not to shave or wax untill they had cleared

Have you tried skin doctors ingrown go? I suffer with them to and iv found this works amazingly well the lotion may smell yucky but iv not had an in growing hair since I started using it and you only use it once every other day honestly it's really worth giving a go xxx

Haven't tried it but I will be making a trip to boots very soon to give it a go!! Thanks! x

No worries babes most boots stock it and if they don't they will order it in for you xxx

Good luck hunni I truely mean it, I know how self conscious it can make you feel, they are not nice :-( I hope you find it as helpful as I do xxx

Keep me posted xxx

i use baby oil after ive shaved and that keeps it smooth and no redness or ingrowing but then i shave every other day so not much chance for the hair to grow back

Just thought I'd update! I bought some "Nads ingrow solution"

(haha the name always cracks me up!)

It was on offer at boots and it works. I put some on after I've shaved and then every day in between. Gone are the ingrown hairs :D highly recommended.

Thank you for all your advice x

Awwww so pleased for you I was actually going to ask you how you got on ;-) x

Alicia D'amore wrote:

Conditioner!

I use conditioner instead of shaving products. Much slicker (much the same as an oil I suppose but I'd worry about cutting myself if I used an oil. I don't have steady hands).

Adxx

I agree! In fact, if you put some conditioner on the area you want to shave for ten or twenty minutes beforehand it really softens the hair and skin and there's much less irritation.

If you have a Lush anywhere near you, try their shaving creams! My OH has a very sensitive skin that gets super easily irritated, I made him try stuff from Lush and now he won't use anything else. It's specifically made for shaving and you're not supposed to wash it off, just wipe the excess off - it does the moisturising bit too. They smell lovely and really, really work (plus Lush staff are usually very good at advising you about which prods suit you best)