Interview Technique

I should be leaping around my sitting room & punching the air at the moment - I've just discovered that I've got an interview next week for a job that really excites me. There is, however, one major cloud on the horizon. I am absolutely terrible at interviews.

This will be my eighth interview in the last 4 years. Of those eight, only two have gone even vaguely well - one led to an offer of my current job, while in the other I was really pleased with the way I came across, but missed out to a much better qualified applicant. The other six have just been a mass of stumbling over words, awkward silences, telling rubbish jokes at inappropriate moments, completely misinterpretting questions & generally being crap.

Have any of you lovely forum members got any brilliant interview tips that could help me out?

be yourself

think of any questions the company might have and plan a few key phrases of how to answer, eg "what can you bring to our company" "what are your goals for the next 5 years" ect

be honest with them too - there's no point spouting a load of BS if it comes to nothing.

research the company as well. it looks best if you ask questions when you can't find them easily on the company website

I am on my mobile at the moment at work, so I can't respond in detail but as I have had a couple of interviews recently I will let you have some handy hints this evening if that is OK?

HH

Thanks both!

HH - some tips would be awesome, thank you!

Sweetlove - you're right, I'm sure if I'm myself I should do pretty well. I guess my question should actually have been: how do I ensure that I'm myself, rather than a massive bag of nerves?

Hey, it is all about being PREPARED. Basically every interview I have had and others I have helped to advise, have gone pretty much the same way. Nerves are natural and they will know that. LISTEN and don’t jump in until you know what they are asking you. Research the company you are invited to, the role (look online for ideas if there arent details supplied for a general overview) Don’t be over confident or cocky, try to be yourself and try, I know it is hard, to relax as much as possible. You arent there to be lined up and shot, it’s not a test, it is to see if you are suitable. Sometimes people are too qualified or have different skill sets so relax as much as you can. I have a list of typical questions and I always find (and so did my sisters and mum!) that if I go through and not plan what I was going to say, but know what to expect that it definately helped to calm down. Hardest bit is to blow your own trumpet but you kind of have to (pardon the pun!) and look at what you could improve on. Wouldnt say weaknesses as such, just things that this role could help you develop in, plus if you say you would like training and ask even just a couple of relevant questions you at least look interested! Hope it helps and GOOD LUCK xxx

Chesty - thank you so much. That's incredibly helpful stuff!

Mrs G - ah ha! Rescue Remedy - got to be worth a shot!

also when they ask you questions, just take a few seconds before you answer so you dont come out with silly things, as when people are nervous they always say "doh, why did i say that" so just think a little before answering and yes as others have said be yourself and honest

Research the role. Plan what you would do with it. Explain what value to bring and how you can deliver more than they might expect. Dont BS. Keep your answers concise. KNOW your CV. They will ask you about it.

If its a competency based interview - work out examples that YOU have done that show you have expereince in that competency.

You - ask them relevant questions. Personal development? Scope for additional responsibility? How is sucess measured?

for them to get the best out of you - they need to put you at ease. It can help to say at the begining - I dont feel i interview well rather than I get nervous in interviews. Then Knock em dead!

This probably sounds really odd but is there anyone you can practise with? Having someone interview you as a role play is often used as part of training courses. It would also mean you have to think in advance of the type of questions you would be asked and how to answer them.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes

xGGx

Hiya.

I interview people as well as of course having interviews myself. Don't panic. If you are nervous it is fine. Make a giod impression. Shake their hand, make eye contact and acknowledge them as they introduce themselves. Listen carefully to the question. Ask them to repeat it if you are not sure. When you have answered, check if they want more by saying does that answer your question. Give examples of your own work if you can. Most of all, breathe. Don't rush. They do honestly want to hear if you have what they need so they are looking on you kindly.

Good luck hun.

Hi ANS!

I was about to post more or less what Chesty and Honeytongue have said, brilliant advice. I've interviewed a few people over the years just do your research on the company, just relax and be confident in yourself. Make sure you offer your hand and one last thing what a lot of people forget to do possibly due to nervousness. . .smile! :)

A good interviewer will put you at ease within minutes mate.

I had an interview years ago for Jacobs (the cracker people!) for a lab job. Done my research and all that and got to the interview. The bloke says to me "What's the first word that comes into your head when you think of Jacobs?" I was thinking to myself i can't say crackers because it sounds bloody daft! But after a nanosecond I eventually blurted out "Crackers". He looked at me in total silence for about 5 seconds, which is a long time in that situation and he eventually said "good!" our advertising is working! Thank god! :)

Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I hope you get it mate.

SG

RESEARCH. Research the position, research the company, research (if possible) the person who will be interviewing you. Is it the CEO of the business or a supervisor/manager? If it's someone very high-up, they'll want to be impressed by your knowledge and experience. If it's someone you're likely to be working with every day, they want to know you are a) normal and b) easy to get along with first and foremost. Be able to tell them exactly what the company does and exactly what the role involves, even if all you're doing is parroting the job advert or website back to them. They need to know you care about the job!

Remember that you wouldn't have gotten an interview if they didn't think you were qualified to do the job. You're not there to convince them you are capable of it, you're there to convince them you're the BEST person for it! And as above, best does not mean most qualified or smartest -- you need to be friendly, open, professional and confident. If YOU don't think you're right for the job, they won't either.

It's ok to be nervous! In fact, I find it helpful to admit my nerves at the very beginning as it calms me down. An interviewer will usually ask how you are... a simple "I'm good, thanks for asking -- a little nervous!" can help break down that scary barrier between you and the interviewer and build rapport.

Spend some time beforehand looking up generic interview questions online and thinkng about what you would say if you were asked them. The more you do this, the less likely you are to be caught off-guard. Things like "what makes you suited for this position", "what are your strengths/weaknessess", "where do you see yourself in five years", "describe your biggest challenge in the workplace", blah blah. If you've thought about what to say in advance, you'll appear more confident when you're answering in the interview.

Basically, fake it til you make it. Act confident and you will appear confident, even if you're shaking in your boots!

Some great advice here that I really agree with. I used to work in retail and interviewed a few people. Sometimes there are complete BS questions. One of them being, 'what are your hobbies'? The notes on the questions said, and I kid you not, 'it doesn't matter what answer they give, just measure their passion and interest in the answer.' so make sure that you're really up beat and interested.

One thing I was told to do when I had my team leader interview was to ask questions after. I didn't because I was too nervous and hadn't prepared (got the job anyway, luckily) but it does tend to impress your employer when you ask them a few questions as it shows youre interested in the job.

Good luck!

Good Luck xx

Some good pointers already!

The first thing that I would add is that, in my experience your CV has got you the interview, so the employer knows from that that you have the experience that they are looking for, so the main objective of the meeting is to see have you will fit in with thier existing team, and if applicable, would they be happy to put you in front of clients.

If the interviewer will be your line manager, he or she will be looking for someone they feel they could work with so in these respects it is important that you give the right impression.

Remind yourself that they are probably as nervious as you are, if I can, I try to make the interview a two way process, so that it becomes a conversation rather than a set of Q & A, this makes the whole process much more relaxed for both sides.

As said before you need to be able to demonstrate your strengths and see any weaknesses as points for development. I do think it is important to know your weaknesses, if you say you haven't got any, this will come across as over confidence.

If as you suggest, you tend to worry about awkward gaps in the conversation, a good trick is to ask for a glass of water at the start of the interview, you can use it as a prop. If you are asked a difficult question, you can take a sip of water to give you thinking time, just don't spill it!

As as previously stated, do some research, when you get to ask questions a good one is to start with "I see from your website that the company has just secured the ???? contact,...."

All the usual advice applies:

Dress appropriately, in something you are comfortable in, clean your shoes.

Firm handshake

Eye Contact

Arrive well in time (check your route beforehand)

Ant the end of the interview thank them for seeing you and ask what the next stage is.

NEVER ASK ABOUT MONEY AT THE FIRST INTERVIEW, let the interviewer bring up the subject, it they don't they are probably looking to discuss the package during a second interview.

Best of luck and try to enjoy it!

HH

Thank you all so much. This really is the most amazing community to be part of. I'll take all of your advice onboard & hope that it'll see me through. I'll have to request that all of you keep your fingers crossed at 2:00pm next Thursday though!

Everything crossed good luck x

afraidnotscared wrote:

Thank you all so much. This really is the most amazing community to be part of. I'll take all of your advice onboard & hope that it'll see me through. I'll have to request that all of you keep your fingers crossed at 2:00pm next Thursday though!

Hopefully it should see you through, as I said, try to relax and enjoy it. I find that the best thing is to not put too much pressure on myself.

I tend to think that I already have a job, so there is nothing to loose!

All the best for next Thursday.

HH

Cheers, KF. You might want to uncross them for the moment though - you'll get terrible cramp by this time next week if you don't! x

And thanks too, HH. I'm desperately trying not to think about what the extra money will mean to my family - unneccessary extra pressure right there!

hahahah yeah true plus I dont think I every kept anything cross for that long : P