ipad giveaway!

Just received the email about the reading festival being replaced by an ipad instead! Being a proper geek that sounds awesome so I thought I'd post here just in case some people haven't signed up yet! I can't link you as I'm on my phone but if you look you should find the competition fairly easily! (Hat or I'm sure a regular poster might come to my rescue!

Good luck everyone! =D

We have an iPad and actually I FAR prefer it for browsing the web and in fact most of stuff I used to do on my laptop. I'm actually deeply frustrated that I don't seem to be able to make LH community posts using it - but then I suppose that would just be evidence of it's 'crippledness'?!!

I must admit, I've never missed flash on the iphone but I do find the lack of it on the iPad rather frustrating even though I *really* dislike flash - all those ridiculously over-animated sites or ones that bring up animated splash screens you have to pass through on the way in, shudder. Its enough to send me packing. Why, why, why?!

Seriously though, the only reason I still use my laptop for the LH site is when I want to post on the forums and the only other time I use my laptop is for development - ts too unwieldy to use on my lap for long periods and the keyboard aggravates my RSI.

BK (before kids!) I worked as a software developer / technical architect in what was at the time fairly bleeding edge. However, that was now almost 8 years ago. I was doing C++/Java, EJB, JSP stuff in various sectors including automative, insurance, investment/retail banking. I was working with dynamic web technologies like JSP and Javascript when they were fairly immature.

Since I've had the kids I've worked on some charity websites on a volunteer basis using HTML / Javascript / PSP / Joomla / Wordpress and done a couple of paid freelance jobs.

Recently I've been dabbling in iPhone/iPad development.

My second child is starting school in September so I need to find something to occupy myself!

BTW - these days I suppose I'm a bit of an Apple fangirl... I realise Apple are just as much corporate gits as any of the other big players out there - I just enjoy using their products more than anyone else's. I still use a PC for techie stuff from time to time (although I'm finding it increasingly unnecessary) but I find using a Mac a lot less stressful!

so how is the ipad replacing the Reading Festival?

headsouth wrote:

Flash is seemingly taking more and more of a backseat recently. A hell of a lot more AJAX stuff, but then that's a reasonable headfsck to get working. Wonder if HTML5 will ever get anywhere... At least the web isn't full of java applets to reflect your marquee'd H1 in the sea by moonlight.

I'm hoping HTML5 will get there eventually. Apple are certainly trying to help it on its way but its not there yet. I was pleased when Firefox decided to support it after all (my current browser of choice).

Yeah, I worked on some Java applets which quickly became obsolete! They were really sloooooow External Media

Better shut up before I 'geekjack' this thread.

telemachus wrote:

See http://www.summeroflovehoney.co.uk/

But, but, but ... Reading!!!!??? It's the best one!!! Friggin Apple and their stupid obese iPhone

xxKPxx

headsouth wrote:

I've done a bunch of web stuff, mainly ASP by line count, never my favourite way to code, generally happier snuffling aroun python and bash.

But you enjoy using Apple's junk more than say... Lelo's?? What a shocking indictment!

Hehehe! That conjures up some interesting images... or not?! I hate to admit it but I do get a massive kick out of using the iPhone and iPad - sad I know.

I don't own any lelo stuff although I do fancy the Gigi or Mona and I love their new bondage range. I just don't think my OH would be chuffed if I spent 30 quid on some silk handcuffs... As I just said on another thread, I'm scared to spend so much on a vibrator in case it doesn't do it for me.

headsouth wrote:

titania wrote:

Hehehe! That conjures up some interesting images... or not?! I hate to admit it but I do get a massive kick out of using the iPhone and iPad - sad I know.

I'm starting to find this thing called Morals, Steve Jobs is getting scarier by the second, just being plain vindicitive in his policies, and I'd find it hard to give him my money*. Similar things with Sergei and Co at Google. Oddly Microsoft seem to have slipped down to third in terms of being evil.

*But yes, still thinking about an iPhone4... Hmm

I do agree but frankly as I consider them to all be as bad as each other I figure I might as well have the one that gives me the best user experience (IMO).

At least if you won the iPad you wouldn't have to worry about givving him any of *your* money!!

The OH has an iPhone4, s'lovely (mine's a 3GS).

I know what you mean about Apples being easier, I use my iPhone and iBook all day every day but we keep a PC at work for some specific tasks (cant say what) and within five minutes of using it I am swearing at it!

Just a simple thing like viewing a web page requires three security updates and at least one blue screen of death, flaming thing. It is currently in bits on my dining room table as it has a hal.dll corruption, that would be funny if it were not so stupid a failing.

headsouth wrote:

A music festival replaced by a crippled palmtop? wtf?

Fixed it. The Ipad doesn't even deserve to be compared to laptops.

Muz333 wrote:

headsouth wrote:

A music festival replaced by a crippled palmtop? wtf?

Fixed it. The Ipad doesn't even deserve to be compared to laptops.

well from a developers point of view i like what i've seen of the ipad! i'm not interested in a laptop substitute so i think they're pretty cool!

External Media

telemachus wrote:

You can sell it without telling LH?External Media

headsouth wrote:

I'm starting to find this thing called Morals, Steve Jobs is getting scarier by the second, just being plain vindicitive in his policies, and I'd find it hard to give him my money*. Similar things with Sergei and Co at Google. Oddly Microsoft seem to have slipped down to third in terms of being evil.

He has recently been quoted as describing jailbreaking as 'immoral'.

What an arsehole.

WandA wrote:

telemachus wrote:

You can sell it without telling LH?External Media

headsouth wrote:

He has recently been quoted as describing jailbreaking as 'immoral'.

What an arsehole.

Quite.

Although doesn't it seem to take arrogant, wierdo, genius types to break the mould and do something really groundbreaking? Or do they just get more media coverage than the 'normal' ones?!

I dislike Rupert Murdoch even more yet we still have Sky...

The thing is, I don't think the user experience of the iPhone/iPad would be anywhere near as good if Steve Jobs wasn't so obsessive about it. They seem to have had a good stab at the remaining 20% that takes 80% of the effort...

Unfortunately the obsessiveness has a significant downside

Jobs and now Murdoch... Oooo, you really are trying to get me ranting aren't you?

You talk about the 20% but I'm sure having a phone that actually makes phonecalls is in the really important 80%!

Very true

Although personally I've never had a problem with that in the UK (or France or Spain). The only time I've had no service I've found people using other phones on my network (O2) didn't either.

Actually, to be fair, it didn't work that well when I first got it and the Apple store replaced it. Some of them are definitely dodgy... I think most of those issues are with AT&T in the states though. Can't believe they've let them have exclusivity this long. Rant...

titania wrote:

We have an iPad and actually I FAR prefer it for browsing the web and in fact most of stuff I used to do on my laptop. I'm actually deeply frustrated that I don't seem to be able to make LH community posts using it - but then I suppose that would just be evidence of it's 'crippledness'?!!

I must admit, I've never missed flash on the iphone but I do find the lack of it on the iPad rather frustrating even though I *really* dislike flash - all those ridiculously over-animated sites or ones that bring up animated splash screens you have to pass through on the way in, shudder. Its enough to send me packing. Why, why, why?!

Seriously though, the only reason I still use my laptop for the LH site is when I want to post on the forums and the only other time I use my laptop is for development - ts too unwieldy to use on my lap for long periods and the keyboard aggravates my RSI.

Have you noticed though that you can post on LH on your iPhone?

Something i find very puzzling.

I aint had chance to mess around with them of late. But if jailbroken, i understand you can now access (a form of) Flash on the iPhone/iPad. I'm now only jailbroken on the iPad, so might try it later and let you know how it goes. If i could post on LH then my computer would be as good as redundant i reckon.

Actually, I thought I couldn't post from my iPhone as it kept logging me into the mobile site and then when I went back to the community I wasn't logged in. Then I noticed other people mentioned posting from the iphones so I tried a few different routes and managed to do it, although still not sure which approach works consistently.

I'm not wild about surfing the LH community on my iPhone due to the small screen but I could surf on the iPad and switch over to my iPhone when I want to post. Would be better than knackering my wrists on the laptop...

Theres a bug with the iPad they're trying to fix - having looked at old threads I think a similar bug may have existing on the iPhone and they fixed it by replacing the RTF with a plain text field. Perhaps they think that fix is not acceptable with the iPad being a bigger device?