Is pain after sex normal?

Hi I’m new here and I really could use some advice. Basically, I’ve never liked any kind of penetration, and have never let a partner do it because I’ve fingered myself before and it’s fine whilst I’m doing it, but once I’m finished I’m just left with this horrible ache in my stomach, it’s a lot worse on one side than the other, maybe like it’s my cervix or something? I’m not sure but it happens every time and has always happened so is that normal? I have mental health problems and a great fear of my GP so I only want to go if it’s necessary so I just wanted to ask if I’m just thinking too much or if I should go get checked out? Obvs not looking for a diagnosis or anything here, I just want to know whether it’s something everyone gets or if it’s not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You’re reporting mental health issues, physical problems, and phobia in the same sentence.

I’m afraid that beside healthcare professionals, i do not know what to advise here.

Pain after sex isnt normal.
There some conditions (mental or physical) that could make it painful to you, but an Internet forum probably isn’t the right place for an accurate diagnostic.

Most GP I’ve encountered have been passionate about caring for people - that’s really what i would suggest here. Perhaps you could find someone to go with you?

2 Likes

Sorry, the above reads really dry. I really hope you can get it sorted.

Also, if you suffer from vaginismus, you may find progressive dilators helpful… but they would only help in case of vaginismus.

Hi @jes00 :wave:
Welcome to the forum!

I’m afraid it’s not normal to feel this pain and I would recommend getting it checked out with your GP. Is it your specific GP you’re afraid of or a doctors in general thing? If specific you can ask to see a different GP, if general is there anyone you trust who could go with you?

Hopefully nothing serious and your mind can be put at rest but definitely best to get it checked out.

Hi and welcome.

As the others have said, it would be a good idea to get this checked out. It may be nothing but it may not be. If your GP is not an option, would a sexual health clinic be any better? Or getting a telephone appointment with someone at your GP surgery? They may want to see you after but it might be an initial way to get some advice.

Beyond that, the only thing I can suggest is trying penetration by fingers or a small dildo at different times of the month to see if that makes any difference. Or, using a smaller dildo and plenty of lube, try varying your technique. Either use more of a grinding motion or insert the toy and squeeze and release your muscles around it, rather than a thrust.

1 Like

I totally get your fear of doctors, especially on the intimate topic, I really hope you have someone who can come with you and stand for you if your GP’s being bad and you’re feeling too vulnerable to tell them off. Good luck!

When I initial read your post I though I know of a few forum members that would be able to give great advice and I see that @Calie has posted already and given great advice. I think the sexual health clinic is a great option. Good luck, it may be not nice going through the examination but the benefits will outweigh that. Best wishes.

If you’re not comfortable talking to your GP, is there an Ob/Gyn who you could see? I would take an issue like that to an Ob/Gyn, if it were me.

Hey welcome to the forum. After sex pain for a lady don’t sound too normal especially if nothing extreme is going on… so I would first consider maybe the positions your in when being penetrated as if it’s to do with like a tilted womb or something along those lines, trying out different positions may help you find a way to avoid after pain.

Also another possibility is your vagina might be tight if your usually only used to fingering and the pain your getting is from over stretching too quickly…

And another thing what springs to mind is if your tensing up during sex and the pelvic muscles aren’t relaxed that might cause some after discomfort from being penetrated.

But of course if your really worried then the best thing will have to be seeing your doctor or a nurse.

Just to add like what everyone else is saying a gp would be best to see if I’m your not having anything shoved right up there for a period of time it’s definitely worth getting checked out

1 Like

I just showed your post to my wife who is a doctor and she says the same, you need professional input.
It’s nothing to be ashamed of and she wold advise that you start with a bit of mental health input to work on the fear of the GP and then progress to getting help with any physical issues (sometimes pain can be a mental issue and if you’ve fear of your GP then it’s entirely possible that you have something similar going on regarding penetration).

In a nutshell, pain after sex is not normal and it looks like you’ve a couple of things to slowly and gently work on. Don’t rush it and take it a step at a time.

1 Like