Issues since surgery?

It's been over a year since I had my keyhole hysterectomy and my cervix secured to my lower spine. I used to love deep sex, especially from behind. Doggy was my favourite position. I can no longer handle it, it hurts and causes me stomach cramps. I also can't manage anal or even large butt plugs anymore. I was well practiced and an anally trained before. I can't very well go to the doctors and say these things to him! Has anyone else ever had these issues? Had surgery and found its changed the things you can sexual handle? Sex is as amazing as ever but I wish these things could be enjoyed again.

There are bound to be some changes, but I'm sure you can adapt.

Ok so why couldn't you tell your Dr this? Dr's are people too, they might be more understanding than you think.

Secondly can you not try to experiment with other things sex wise for fun?

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but maybe this is the opotunity to try different things.

It is a shame you cannot enjoy some of the things you could before the surgery. It's a bit like grieving for what you've lost. How long has it been since your surgery? Has everything fully healed or could that be contributing to the pain? As long as everything else in that region is in good order (bowel and bladder habits, etc - sorry if too much detail!!) then it's almost certainly your new anatomy causing all this. Unfortunately, even if you did tell your doctor they wouldn't be able to do anything to improve matters. Enjoying sex still is good. As Fun Louise suggests, why not experiment with different things to see what gives you pleasure. Things you didn't enjoy before may be a huge turn on now.

Hi pinkanimal,

I've had a hysterectomy not a keyhole but a vertical incision and yes for a while things were a bit tender when we recommenced sex but never painful. I'm not sure that you should be experiencing pain during certain positions or anal sex after a year. If I were you I'd be taking a trip back to your GP and yes , you can absolutely discuss all these things with him...he won't be shocked , he's bound to have heard it before.

Did your consultant ever discuss whether having your cervix secured to your lower spine would result in any changes after as regards certain positions etc?

Another thought it whether you need more lube? Especially if your ovaries were removed you may be quite dry from low oestrogen. Pelvic floor exercises seemed to always be the suggestion for any post-op problems. I can't remember anything else from my obs and gynae lectures 🙄

It might be uncomfortable to talk about but I would recommend talking to your doctor to ensure this is an "expected" consequence and not an indicator of something awry. If it's expected they might even be able to explain why and what you can do to improve the situation if that's possible.

I'm sorry I know you mean well but there is no way in Hell I am walking into my doctors office and saying stuff like this to them. Nope. Not happening. I'm sure it's simply that my inside anatomy has changed and maybe that means that I can no longer handle some things I used to. I can't have a full bladder for long without having cramps either. Guess I'll have to get used to it all. It was April last year. So yeah all healing has been done.