hysterectomy!help!

I was wondering if anyone out there who has had a hysterectomy (and their partners) can let me know how it affects your sexual experience. I am on a waiting list to have a hysterectomy as a treatment for fibroids. I am 48 and everyone advises me this is the best way to resolve my discomfort, heavy periods etc. ... but i have a fantastic sex life!!! I orgasm easily and repeatedly, and, well, just love sex, it.s hugely important to my quality of life. I am really scared this will change as a result of the operation. I would really appreciate hearing your experiences and advice. Thank you .

Hi, I can't really help you because I haven't had this intervention.

Will they also remove the ovaries? Because if they do, that will be like if you had your menopause, so will may have the same symptoms like dryness and all. But I thing I guess you can do it take hormones to balance the fact that your body don't produce them anymore.

I'm curious to know about other womens wxperience with that.

It would appear my gynacologist is pretty open to doing whichever i prefer (assuming all my tests return ok and growth is benign as expected).i have an appointment to discuss this further, but it is really difficult to have an opinion from this side of the op! The more is removed, the less chance of cancer in the future of course. I have terrible pms and my gp suggests asking for my ovaries to be taken out to resolve this (hormone measurements say i haven.t started perimenopause yet) but i am worried about how this will make me feel (less female?less sexy?) And have read that it causes vaginal dryness.... a couple of friends who had the op had pain and problematic sex lives beforehand and are very positive... but i am afraid of losing the enjoyment i get now....

It's mostly all about hormones. But one thing is that taking hormone supplement to counter this also increases the risk of cancer (since you would not have any ovaries and uterus left it would be about breasts).

To know if you should also get you're ovaries removed is about if you're at risk of developping a cancer there or not. Of course if you have a uterian cancer there is chance it can "transfer" to your ovaries. I'm sure discussing this with your gynecologist will help you feel more secure and know about all the possibilities. They know what they are talking about, and there is things you can do against the negative effect of the operation, and it is also well known by them.

I had a forced hysterectomy at 27, I'm now 52, so a while ago.I would say if at all possible try and keep at least some of one ovary. Hormonal wise it would help you greatly, if not there is HRT.My sexlife was null and void afterwards but not due to the hyster! I was on very heavy meds for fibromyalgia which killed off my sex life.

I would advise you discuss this much further with your doctor or gyny to get a handle on it! vaginal dryness was and still is my biggest issue, I wasn't warned about that, but I had no choice. I had to have the procedure! But there's lots of lube out there and I love all that shit! Go talk some more and just keep talking until your reach a decision one way or another! x

My sex drive has never been better now that I have dumped all my meds, so that in itself points to things there being just fine!

Thanks, that.s really helpful, soglad to hear (for you and me!) That your sex drive is good now :)

It is! I just need someone who wants to use it haha. Keep us informed on how you're getting on please! x

Is all early days, less than three weeks since a scan for something else found the growth (i.d been attributing various symptoms to perimenopause), my gp and gynae are fantastic and very helpful, but i.d like to know a bit more about other peoples experience as well as the medical view before i make decisions. I.m still in shock about being advised a hysterectomy (more to do with acknowledging my age i think!) But all your advice is very helpful. Thank you x
ps wonderful wonderful nhs, cannot praise it highly enough!

Hi sallysue,

I completely understand your worries and concerns over having a hysterectomy. I had mine two years ago at the age of 50 for a very large fibroid and I was very worried about the impact on my sex life and ability to orgasm afterwards.

I was also astounded by the lack of information given to me by my doctor over this, in fact she seemed to be reluctant to discuss it with me and I was left feeling like a bit of a weirdo for being so concerned about my sex life at my age !

I came under lots of pressure to have my ovaries removed too. I had to do a lot of research myself over this and in the end came to the conclusion that if there was nothing wrong them then them alone !

It's still a horrible shock to be told that you need a hysterectomy at whatever age but I didn't have any option as I wasn't suitable for any other treatment and there was a small cancer risk so I couldn't just leave things as there were.

Anyway the result was I had the op and it all went well, kept my ovaries as my surgeon said she would examine while they were in there and if everything looked ok then she'd leave them at my request. I was overjoyed to discover I could still orgasm after though it does feel slightly different than before probably due to the loss of the cervix but it's all still good !

One of the best things about it is no more periods and heavy torrential bleeding all the time !

Hope this has been of some help to you as I found it difficult to do research without coming across all the horror stories but it doesn't have to be that way for everyone , I think having a postive mental attitude before and after the op really helps too . I can only say that in my experience there's no reason why you shouldn't resume a fantastic sex life once you're fully recovered .

Best wishes to you in what ever you decide x

My OH has had a hysterctomy and, now in our 50s, we've never enjoyed sex more. She always was horny and if anything, is more so!

One of my good friends had to have one recently and it was slow going in the beginning but she has been able to climax.

Depending on the procedure are they taking your cirvex as well? If so, this will shorter your internal "length" and could be an issue related to penetration depending on your partner / size.

Best of luck and sending healing vibes.

Vanessa that's a good point about shortened vaginal length , I was concerned about that too but the consultant told me the amount that will be lost is extremely minimal these days and it would be very unlikely to cause any difficulty because the vagina still retains the ability to stretch during arousal.I've had no probs in that area and I'm able to use kegel balls and fairly large dildos too.

Apparently it's the normal procedure to remove the cervix with the uterus although you could insist on keeping it but it would really depend on the reasons for the op . I did ask about keeping mine but was told that its a much more complicated procedure to leave it behind and for the reasons I was having a hyst I was strongly medically advised against it.

Wow you guys, thank you so much, it.s really good to hear your stories and the bit about kegel balls and dildos has cheered me up no end :D
i am back to see the gyno and discuss the 'options' in a few weeks (4 to 5 month waiting list for the op if it.s 'routine')...just agreeing to go on the list was enough last time!

Hi sallysue, I had surgery just over a year ago to remove a very large dermoid tumour on my ovary. At the time I was told I would have a full hysterectomy as there was a chance it was cancerous (luckily it was benign).

I ended up just having the tumour, my ovary and fallopian tube removed. Recovery did take a while, both physically and emotionally, but I am now fully recovered. I know it is not the same as a full hysterectomy, but my hormones were still affected, however, I'm pleased to say that my sex drive and orgasms are still as powerful as they were before the op. I really hope everything goes well for you, whatever you decide to do :) xx

Hi sallysue

I have a large fibroid which is causing me a lot problems, one of the worst is terrible pain on a daily basis.

I am having Uterine Fibroid Embolisation in April. This is much less invasive than a hysterectomy, having just 1 to 2 week recovery time and a 90% success rate.

I don't know if this would be suitable for you, or offered to you, but it is something to think about.

Hope you can get it sorted without waiting too long :)

My wife aged 30 had a hysterectomy 5 weeks ago and whilst it's still relatively early days she is back at work and pain free for the first time in years.
She suffered from Adenomyosis and having a hysterectomy was the only real option. Luckily she had a vaginal hysterectomy so no external scars and she now has a distinct lack of uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes.
She still has her ovaries, so no early on set of weak bones and no early menopause. Before the op she was rarely horny and when she was the pain usually put a stop to anything.
Now her sex drive has rocketed which is very welcome, unfortunately we have to wait 6-8 weeks before any vaginal or anal sex so we're really hoping for a good result at her check up next week. Cliteral stimulation works rather well but a word of warning, wait a couple of weeks before your first orgasm. She waited for a week but was in a lot of discomfort afterwards. This was definitely the right option for my wife the change in her since the op has been amazing. Whatever you decide to do I hope you tet the relief you are looking for.

Hey you guys, thank you all so much, i.m feeling so much better about this after reading your posts. Had a scary couple of weeks waiting for the biopsy result and then an MRI but luckily the results say it is just a fibroid. I.m to start treatment to shrink it, and on the waiting list for a hysterectomy this summer. I am counting my blessings in the meantime. Thank you again, you have all been really helpful xxx

Hey you guys, thank you all so much, i.m feeling so much better about this after reading your posts. Had a scary couple of weeks waiting for the biopsy result and then an MRI but luckily the results say it is just a fibroid. I.m to start treatment to shrink it, and on the waiting list for a hysterectomy this summer. I am counting my blessings in the meantime. Thank you again, you have all been really helpful xxx

Hi folks,
I'm 7 weeks post hysterectomy today and have been reading your experiences with interest. Having had a uterine hysterectomy and internal repair, I'm feeling a little glum about what might be off the menu in future!

I have a high sex drive and enjoy a varied sex life with my lover, so am looking forward to getting my hands on him soon after our enforced dry spell.
I have kept my ovaries following surgery, so hormonally I'm raring to go with normal penetrative sex.

However, I cannot find info or advice relating to anal sex following this procedure and wondered if anyone had any direct experience or guidance.
Thanks!

Eric'sOtherMate wrote:

Hi folks,
I'm 7 weeks post hysterectomy today and have been reading your experiences with interest. Having had a uterine hysterectomy and internal repair, I'm feeling a little glum about what might be off the menu in future!

I have a high sex drive and enjoy a varied sex life with my lover, so am looking forward to getting my hands on him soon after our enforced dry spell.
I have kept my ovaries following surgery, so hormonally I'm raring to go with normal penetrative sex.

However, I cannot find info or advice relating to anal sex following this procedure and wondered if anyone had any direct experience or guidance.
Thanks!

Hi anal sex should not be affected, but please take it gentle the first time. Your insides are very close together and there can be internal bruising and swelling. If you passing normal stools (poo) with no pain or disco,fort then your fine for anal sex.

I would be a little more gentle with penatrative sex, maybe using a softer toy for the first time, as the toy will not be dissapointed if you want to stop or feel uncomfortable. Even though you have kept your ovaries it's worth getting and using a bit more lube than normal. Oftern the surface layer of tissue (the bit that actually gets wet) is bruised or rubbed and although this should return to normal you might find your a little slower to get wet. Have fun.