Japanese bondage

Hi everyone,

Anyone out there who is into japanese bondage, or shibari? It is so beautiful. We have just started giving it a try. Hubby used black and red silky ropes to put me in a body harness - karada - and I have worn it all day! I think I could even wear it out if I wore the right clothes. It was amazing! You feel restricted but can still move about and carry on as normal but during sex you can use it to restrain limbs and attach ropes to keep you in place.

I'd love to know if others out there are practising it and how you use it. Thanks.

I have expiremented with it in the past, but never got very far, rope work is time consuming lol.

Yes, it is - when you read all the bumf that's meant to be part of it but hubby always says it takes too long! It's great if you prepare by doing the rope work and wearing it until you are ready for the main event!!!

Haha, I was meaning the rope work it's self takes time, I've never read much about it lol. Though there are a lot of less time consuming options, but I prefer the really intricate stuff which takes time, especially with all the mistakes I kept making XD

Hee hee! Yes, the intricate stuff looks amazing but takes ages - hubby doesn't have patience for that but I'd love to try it! The simpler, easier stuff is good for me atm. Going to try a new one today!

Hi!

I have never tried it as the OH is not into bondage unfortunately. However, I am fascinated by this! Have you ever been to any exhibitions? I would absolutely love to go to one. I think it is beyond beautiful what you can do with a little bit of rope, patience, and imagination!

Scorpiosami - it is fascinating isn't it? I love that although it is bondage it does not restrain you! I haven't seen any exhibitions but have looked at lots of information and pictures.. it's so beautiful.

We have given this a try, as I love being tied up! We're far from experts, but we have learnt to make sure you look after the ropes, so that the next time you want to have a play, you're not spending time unknotting them. We do want to try new things though. We love it!

I've done some bits of rope work and met some well known people. It's great because you can start with cheap rope (sash rope is a good one) and then gradually buy more expensive and different ropes.

There are broadly two types of tying, sometimes differentiated by the names 'Kinbaku' and 'shibari' although people don't always agree. The latter will refer to tying someone up in pretty patterns and making attractive ropework, this is often what you see in pictures.

The former will refer to ropework where you have a connection with the person. This process doesn't just involve "tying someone up" but the whole experience of putting the rope on, the finished design and then taking it off. In this case, you can draw everything out, pulling the rope across them to experience the sensation of the type you are using and building a deep connection between the two people. You will often see this in live performances where the person being tied looks lost in the moment.

Both have their place and people sometimes don't agree on these names but ropework will lie somewhere between these two. Do you make pretty patterns and chat happily whilst doing it or both kneel on the floor and wrap the other person in rope, savouring the moment and ignoring how it looks but more on how it feels?

An "expert" at rope may be someone who has a lot of experience but even after 30 years, they will probably say they are still learning. The most important thing is to have fun but be safe. Keep a pair of EMT shears nearby and never buy rope you aren't willing to cut...just in case.

The Two Knotty Boys (videos and books online) are often considered a good learning point and Douglas Kent also does good books. Several locations have Peer Rope sessions where people tie and ask for advice from others, there is a large one in London, and these are a good place to learn from others or feel different types of rope.

I personally have not but if you are ever in London, definitely go to the Japanese Rope Salon! Coco De Mer is amazing. http://www.coco-de-mer.com/products/japanese-rope-bondage-a-salon-with-esinem/