Just wanted to share this to see what everyone else thinks about it

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/23/women-pose-naked-to-redefine-american-beauty-on-their-own-terms_n_7855236.html

I think it kinda misses the point slightly because of some of the women but I'll let you guys judge for yourselves lol

Kittycat102 wrote:

I think it kinda misses the point slightly because of some of the women but I'll let you guys judge for yourselves lol

I don't understand what you mean?

I personally think it's a brave thing for all of those women to do, they look great. God knows I wouldn't have the courage for fear of someone telling me I'm not pretty enough!

Boogaloo wrote:

Kittycat102 wrote:

I personally think it's a brave thing for all of those women to do, they look great. God knows I wouldn't have the courage for fear of someone telling me I'm not pretty enough!

Well just that there's skinny women in it, just a little confused cause I thought they were trying to say bigger women can be a sexual fantasy too or something?

Kittycat102 wrote:

Boogaloo wrote:

Kittycat102 wrote:

Well just that there's skinny women in it, just a little confused cause I thought they were trying to say bigger women can be a sexual fantasy too or something?

I think they were trying to say that you can be beautiful whatever body shape/size you are. That's why there's allsorts of women featured :)

Boogaloo wrote:

Kittycat102 wrote:

Boogaloo wrote:

Kittycat102 wrote:

I think they were trying to say that you can be beautiful whatever body shape/size you are. That's why there's allsorts of women featured :)

Ahh I see. Interesting since a lot of those women I find way more attractive than Mena Suvari when she was in American Beauty, who is pretty average in my opinion lol

I'm glad theres a varied size, I feel like I'm pretty bored of people saying things like 'REAL women have curves' and 'nothing but a dog wants a bone'. ECT As a girl with barely any meat on her bones it does often make me feel inadequate and actually I've been demonised by other bigger women for being 'skinny'. Its a shame that most of the time the people body shaming women are in fact other women... :(

Lets just please accept that no matter what body type you are, some people are going to be into it and some arn't.

I think it's kind of missing the point because the level of photoshop going off, is it trying to say "all women can be beautiful no matter what size/shape/colour you are as long as you've got photoshop"? Also they're were no unhealthily skinny women but a few unhealthily overweight women

Cool idea. But as I always say with this type of article, would have been a lot more effective in 'redefining American beauty' if they had laid off the airbrushing. Ultimately the message they're putting across is 'you can look pretty too with studio lighting, heavy make up and photoshop!'. Yeah. Great. :p

Young and fun95 wrote:

I think it's kind of missing the point because the level of photoshop going off, is it trying to say "all women can be beautiful no matter what size/shape/colour you are as long as you've got photoshop"? Also they're were no unhealthily skinny women but a few unhealthily overweight women

Haha great minds, you beat me to it :p

Yep, I agree with the airbrushing comments... Show me some cellulite goddamn it!

Like, it's progression, so it's good. But it could be better, and I'm sure media will work on that.

I think it's a nice thing to see, generally though, and it's a very tasteful, elegant shoot.

Young and fun95 wrote:

But surely just because someone is overweight, doesn't mean they are unhealthy?

I know of a lady who is overweight/plus size, but takes part in park runs and mini marathons. She can out run many of our slim friends that just use a gym to keep fit.

I however am overweight and unhealthy, because I am currently so disabled, that even simple physio makes me very poorly.

Basically what I'm saying, just because someone is overweight, doesn't mean they're not healthy, or even choose to be fat. We don't all sit on our fat arses eating cake all day.![](upload://JDvwB4BqTlXmc0TRZyEqziKCrM.gif)

On the weight and size note, I've been looking into that.

Different people are healthy at different weights.

I'm clearly unhealthy at 120lbs, though that may be partly due to illness.
My OH is ''overweight'' but is perfectly healthy, he's just large.

Some people are healthy at 100, 200, 300 lbs.
The actual evidence for impact of weight on health is minimal, and if you keep yourself generally healthy- eating, drink water, exercise- you'll be all good.

After the 300lbs mark it gets a bit more vague, because gravity, but.

The idea behind it good the photoshopping not good the photographer wanted to redefine American beauty you can't really do that if you have to rely on photoshop to iron out the true beauty

I agree PP, I'm also overweight but wouldn't consider myself unhealthy. I was a normal weight, until I got a chronic illness which has left me disabled and unable to do much physical activity. I've gained a couple of stone since then due to being inactive, but my diet is pretty healthy. I do try to do as much activity as I can or I'll just keep getting fat (or never lose the extra lbs I've gained), but I'm not unhealthy because I'm overweight, I'm unhealthy because I have an illness which was caused by my genetics. All my other medical tests are absolutely fine, better than some of my slimmer friends actually!

But perhaps I'm naive and have a skewed view on it. I would hate for people to look at me and think 'eurgh she's unhealthy, she must eat like a pig' because that's not the case. I do accept that if I got much bigger though that I might have problems related to my weight, hence the effort to try and exercise more :)

Another example is my partner, who weighs 19st and has a BMI in the morbidly obese category, but his body fat percentage is less than average and he has a very high muscle density. We can't get life insurance because companies assume he's unhealthy, when he's actually in amazing shape.

Anyway, I don't know how we got on to that one haha!

I agree about the air brushing, that is a shame x