Kindle and other Ebook machines

occhiverdi wrote:

only downfall is I can't nosy at what other people are reading if we all start getting them!

I *think* there is/soon will be an option to lend books out to other Kindles like lending a real book!

Although I may have made that up... Double check that.External Media

WandA wrote:

occhiverdi wrote:

only downfall is I can't nosy at what other people are reading if we all start getting them!

I *think* there is/soon will be an option to lend books out to other Kindles like lending a real book!

Although I may have made that up... Double check that.External Media

If you have my dad has too.

He told me about how you can "lend" people books and you lose access whilst they read it.

Adx

I always thought the screen refresh was too slow really though I'm not sure if I've played with the most recent Kindle in fairness. Also does it allow natural flicking over of the page with touch? The one i used had cursor keys at the bottom. Seemed so backwards.

Along similar lines iPad 2 announced today. See Apples website for full details. Thinner and lighter so even easier to read on now with all the extra functionality over a kindle type device. I've never had an issue reading books my my iPhone even though its tiny compared to the iPad. Just playing devils advocate

BigPoppa wrote:

I always thought the screen refresh was too slow really though I'm not sure if I've played with the most recent Kindle in fairness. Also does it allow natural flicking over of the page with touch? The one i used had cursor keys at the bottom. Seemed so backwards.

Along similar lines iPad 2 announced today. See Apples website for full details. Thinner and lighter so even easier to read on now with all the extra functionality over a kindle type device. I've never had an issue reading books my my iPhone even though its tiny compared to the iPad. Just playing devils advocate External Media

It's not a touch screen if that's what you mean. The page turner is a key at each side of the screen, one forward and one backward at each side. Very easy to locate with your thumbs

BigPoppa wrote:

Along similar lines iPad 2 announced today. See Apples website for full details. Thinner and lighter so even easier to read on now with all the extra functionality over a kindle type device. I've never had an issue reading books my my iPhone even though its tiny compared to the iPad. Just playing devils advocate External Media

How fast do you read.External Media

WandA wrote:

BigPoppa wrote:

How fast do you read.External Media

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj-qBUWOYfE&feature=related ~~~~74bf34}External Media

I've had the Sony version for a few years now, I like it but I dont use it as often as I could, I just love "real" books. It's great for holidays tho. My problem is cos I dont use it much, whenever I come to use it, it's flat, haha!

Big gripe is with the Sony one books have to be purchased through Waterstones and are the same price if not more than paper versions, so if am paying that, want the paper version for my huge collection, lol....

Bit of a useless post really, sorry ;-)

I think I've been converted since seeing one IRL. I hate reading on a screen but feel massively guilty printing stuff out. I tend to buy second-hand books to save trees but eliminating books all together would be the ideal. Can you get them to display PDFs? If so I shall buy one asap!

xxKPxx

My sony one does KP but don't know bout kindle, You just transfer them on the laptop to the sony library then synch e-reader and it's there, you sometimes get odd formatting issues with pages, where there might only be 3 or 4 lines of a text on a page, but not where it is a chapter end for example, but it's no big deal.

MissTerryCleavage wrote:

My sony one does KP but don't know bout kindle, You just transfer them on the laptop to the sony library then synch e-reader and it's there, you sometimes get odd formatting issues with pages, where there might only be 3 or 4 lines of a text on a page, but not where it is a chapter end for example, but it's no big deal.

Awesome thanks MTC! I've just checked on Amazon and it seems the Kindles support PDFs too! I think that's the clincher for me - think of all those lovely journal articles I could carry around!! Other than journals and the odd bit of DH Lawrence and Ian McEwan I don't really read anything that was written after the 19th century anyway so I think the Kindle and I will have a beautiful life together!

xxKPxx

WandA wrote:

Kindles rule!

I have one, and in part because of this so does Ad and her dad!

The quality of the text is great and you don't get sore eyes like as you may from a PC. Being able to search through it easily is also great for academic books and general reading. Now you mention costs...

Not too great to be honest. What is great is that many older books are free, and many newer books aren't but they are 'available' online. Kindle books aren't as cheap as they should be because in the infinite wisdom of our nation you pay VAT on 'em but not on paper books and that is 20% straight on to the cost. You'd think being green and all might make a difference but apparently not so ebooks are more expensive than they should be.

One good thing however is that you can easily sync and remember pages on various devices or buy books anywhere.

Some people I've spoken to don't like the idea of not having paper but I think the image is pretty similar and you have no annoying issues with pages flapping over or the spine breaking etc...

Ooooo, because it's so much easier on the eyes you can also send Word type docs you may need to read to it easily and read lengthy pieces that you might otherwise put off or struggle to because it's normally on a PC screen.

I prefer books, yes I'm silly but I do. I love the smell and when a book is printer on the write paper I just want to keep on reading even if the writer isn't that inspiring.

I have considered a kindle as most of the sexology books I need are only a few pence but still I will always go back to my hardback text books even if they cost a lot more.

though yaoi seems to easier to get on a kindle but really I wouldn't use kindles for books I need to read and referance often.... just me

KittyPurry wrote:

I think I've been converted since seeing one IRL. I hate reading on a screen but feel massively guilty printing stuff out. I tend to buy second-hand books to save trees but eliminating books all together would be the ideal. Can you get them to display PDFs? If so I shall buy one asap!

xxKPxx

It is great for my Uni work at the moment. It saves carrying massive texts around written by spacey peeps who insist on writing 50% more pages just because they're French.

And... If you find a paper at uni just email it to yourself! PDFs need converting though really but it's done automatically by just naming the email 'Convert'!External Media

Get one!

MissTerryCleavage wrote:

I've had the Sony version for a few years now, I like it but I dont use it as often as I could, I just love "real" books. It's great for holidays tho. My problem is cos I dont use it much, whenever I come to use it, it's flat, haha!

Big gripe is with the Sony one books have to be purchased through Waterstones and are the same price if not more than paper versions, so if am paying that, want the paper version for my huge collection, lol....

Not so! Mrs M has a Sony e-reader and specifically chose it because it was the only device guaranteed to support the e-books available from our local library! (Who says they have to be expensive?)

She also buys things online from other sources, as long as the format is right, and has had no problems so far. I'd urge anyone looking into e-readers to carefully consider what they need from the device, as I was pushing her toward the Kindle for other reasons, but the format support and cost of books from Amazon eventually made it unworkable for her. Also, she has the touch-screen edition which is kinda funky...

Bought a Kindle as an early birthday present for the OH on saturday actually. Several reasons why the Kindle, and not another device; she's already got quite a few titles in the Kindle app on her phone, and synching them across is a doddle; Kindle titles are pretty cheap, and there are a lot of free ones; you can sample the first chapters of books for free; and although it's not as feature-rich as something like an iPad (but is waaay cheaper!), there are a few nice extras (a lightweight web browser, etc.).

In the end I didn't go for the 3G one - it eats the battery (10 days compared to 3 weeks for the WiFi-only), plus if we ever do need to get online where there isn't WiFi handy, her phone can act as a wireless access point.

Was a little put off by the wording around the 'free forever' 3G access as well; although the extra £40 ensures you get free downloads from the Kindle Store forever, it was a bit vague about whether other services would still be free - web browsing is free at the moment, though may not be if you're abroad.

I bought it from a large supermarket chain that rhymes with 'fresco' in the end; had a triple Clubcard points voucher which effectively knocked a bit off the price - otherwise it's pretty much the same price everywhere I think (it was a bit of an impuse buy though, I haven't searched extensively).

Mr Monster wrote:

MissTerryCleavage wrote:

Not so! Mrs M has a Sony e-reader and specifically chose it because it was the only device guaranteed to support the e-books available from our local library! (Who says they have to be expensive?)

She also buys things online from other sources, as long as the format is right, and has had no problems so far. I'd urge anyone looking into e-readers to carefully consider what they need from the device, as I was pushing her toward the Kindle for other reasons, but the format support and cost of books from Amazon eventually made it unworkable for her. Also, she has the touch-screen edition which is kinda funky...

Oooh I didn't know this, when I got mine it was, apart from the stuff in the Guttenberg project which is free, any newer books had to be purchased from WS....

Good to know thanks, maybe I'll use mine a bit more now.... Mine isn't the touchscreen one, PR505 I think, cutting edge when it came out & now almost disappeared I think, haha!

Thanks MrM x

Another thumbs up here - I got one for Xmas and I've barely picked up a paper book since. I really think Amazon have got the support network thing totally sussed for the Kindle. It blows any other e-reader out of the water. The screen also has a sharper display than others thanks to a more updated e-ink technology.

As for the 3G - I think it's well worth the extra £40, especially if you travel a lot. You can't always rely on finding a wi-fi connection everywhere, can you?

The built-in dictionary feature is very handy too; and it has the ability to go online and check Google or Wikipedia if you want more information.

Some books are too expensive, but there are a lot of 'indie' authors out there who either give their books for free, or for less than a quid. Sure, there's a lot of dross, but I've read several freebies that were pretty good. I think we're going to be seeing a lot more of these coming along.

And they are talking about letting you share books with others for a short length of time. You can already do this with the US version.

WandA wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

xxKPxx

It is great for my Uni work at the moment. It saves carrying massive texts around written by spacey peeps who insist on writing 50% more pages just because they're French.

And... If you find a paper at uni just email it to yourself! PDFs need converting though really but it's done automatically by just naming the email 'Convert'!External Media

Get one!

Haha, theres no doubt about who you're talking about there! :P

I'm a big fan of books, but since the kiddy came along I have very little time to sit down and read a paper book, so an eBook reader would be the same.

I'm a big fan of audio books, so I often listen to books in the car, or while I'm doing simple chores like washing up where I can split my attention.

toycar69 wrote:

I'm a big fan of books, but since the kiddy came along I have very little time to sit down and read a paper book, so an eBook reader would be the same.

I'm a big fan of audio books, so I often listen to books in the car, or while I'm doing simple chores like washing up where I can split my attention.

You can listen to audio books on the Kindle!

http://ebookreadermatrix.com/

They do open PDF... Yeah I am going to look into it as I have so many books already for Kindle it makes sense to buy it rather than another brand!