Kindle and other Ebook machines

As an avid reader, I use kindle apps on my macbook and HTC and was wondering if anyone here actually had the kindle device?

I was looking at the Song one but none of them seem to match upto the kindles standards...

Also a little apprehensive about losing the love of touching and reading proper books :D

Sony not Song!

i bought my mum (an avid book reader) a kindle for xmas and she loves it, and cos she travels a fair bit she can take 100s of books in a very compact way. plus the screen on the kindle is reall really good

does she not miss actual books, a lot of kindle books are cheaper.

that idk, and will ask her for u when i get the chance

Sadly, I think ithe same thing will happen to books as has happen to CDs...

no she doesn't really miss books

Kindles rule!

I have one, and in part because of this so does Ad and her dad!

The quality of the text is great and you don't get sore eyes like as you may from a PC. Being able to search through it easily is also great for academic books and general reading. Now you mention costs...

Not too great to be honest. What is great is that many older books are free, and many newer books aren't but they are 'available' online. Kindle books aren't as cheap as they should be because in the infinite wisdom of our nation you pay VAT on 'em but not on paper books and that is 20% straight on to the cost. You'd think being green and all might make a difference but apparently not so ebooks are more expensive than they should be.

One good thing however is that you can easily sync and remember pages on various devices or buy books anywhere.

Some people I've spoken to don't like the idea of not having paper but I think the image is pretty similar and you have no annoying issues with pages flapping over or the spine breaking etc...

Ooooo, because it's so much easier on the eyes you can also send Word type docs you may need to read to it easily and read lengthy pieces that you might otherwise put off or struggle to because it's normally on a PC screen.

I'm nearly sold and its a matter of do I wait till May and hint like mad for my Bday OR buy myself one when I can be bothered!!!

Is the 3G one worth it??

Im just more annoyed it only comes in black... its so black!! (may get a skin put on it like I do on my macbook actually...

I can read a book in a day if I am lying on a beach so it just seems to make sense....

well it depends on what you do and when ur lightly to want to buy books

occhiverdi wrote:

I'm nearly sold and its a matter of do I wait till May and hint like mad for my Bday OR buy myself one when I can be bothered!!!

Is the 3G one worth it??

Im just more annoyed it only comes in black... its so black!! (may get a skin put on it like I do on my macbook actually...

I can read a book in a day if I am lying on a beach so it just seems to make sense....

It's charcoal grey colour really. They used to do white that looked awful but now it's just the one colour.

The 3G is supposed to last a lifetime and it does have a basic browser on it so for an extra £40 I think it's useful, you need to quickly check something online but you want to save your phone battery etc...

WandA wrote:

occhiverdi wrote:

Is the 3G one worth it??

It's charcoal grey colour really. They used to do white that looked awful but now it's just the one colour.

The 3G is supposed to last a lifetime and it does have a basic browser on it so for an extra £40 I think it's useful, you need to quickly check something online but you want to save your phone battery etc...

I think I'm going to go for it.. it was actually one of the reasons I was wanting an ipad for reading things. I read books all the time especially for studying etc!

When I go on holiday or travel home its more reading!!! The batter things appears great too as well I feel all I pack nowadays is a bag of plugs! lol

might crunch some numbers and get it sooner rather than later!!

I have a kindle! If you miss the feel of holding a book you can get a leather case that opens out like a book and feels similar to hold. I bought the case on ebay as it was a lot cheaper than the Amazon cases.

You can also do nifty things like email documents to your free kindle account at Amazon and have them convert it into kindle format. Then the converted document is automatically sent back to you via wifi or 3g if you have it.

I don't think the 3g is worth the extra unless you are going to buy books while you are away or use the browser (which is very basic). If you have wifi at home just use that, it's quick and easy

Yeah I mean I think I would stock up on books and make sure i have plenty before I go anywhere. I think I read 4 books the week I was in Grenada mainly cos the OH was diving while I soaked up the sun!

:D ... I think I'm going to look into getting one :D

As has been said - excellent device. I was worried as I find PC screens difficult to read but the "image" is more like a page of paper than a screen. It's brilliant.

I don't miss holding a book but then that's because I've been gutted that as a book worm (I took books to bed with me before I could read) with joint issues I've struggled to read as much as I'd like and find reading on holiday (lying down) a real ball ache (or more precisely - shoulder/back ache)! That said I do have two "real" books that I'm part way through (one for the second time) because I'm too lazy to figure out how to get them for free on the Kindle :P.

Adx

My daughter and myself have Kindles. WandA has covered it all really, nothing more to add except they're well worth it! I mean how else can you carry the complete works of Shakespeare around with you! There's some fantastic reviews on Amazon. I say reviews, more like dissertations! SG

Oh, they can speak too!

the screens freak me out too much for me to EVER own one O_o

My mum has a Kindle and I always steal it.

I think they are a great idea and alot better for the environment

I am more tempted due to the fact I literally have about 10 books in my case when I go on holiday...

only downfall is I can't nosy at what other people are reading if we all start getting them!