Lent

Hi just wanted to know if anyone is giving anything up for lent, after much thought I was going to give up giving a shit, but after more thought supporting oh with giving up chocolate seemed a better idea ( less painful as well). So what are you denying yourself?

i see it as a religious thing... given thats what it stands for. So It doesn't really have any appeal for me. Plus having watched others give stuff up, it's a bit like New Years resolutions... seems to go out the window by day five lol. But will be interesting to see what others give up. Something tells me it won't be sex toys ;-)

I noticed this thread first thing this morning and have been thinking obout it while getting ready for work.

Why not turn it into something that will have a positive impact on those around you?

I am going to give up being negative.

How about giving up ignoring people in the street and just saying good morning?

The list is endless!

Join me in making the world a happier place, it might just catch on!

HH

Good idea HH cos i don't want to give up the stuff i like enjoy it to much. :)

Nice one HH!

I know someone who decided one year to take something up for lent rarther than give something up. Similar to you, to start doing something positive like to not give up on things that you struggle with, finish the little jobs you've started, to take up running, spend time reading more...that sort of thing.

My son has decided to give up sweets, so I'm going to support him by joining him in that.

For me now I've thought about it I'm going to be more generous and try to one thing for someone else every day.

Obviously I will be doing my usual stuff to serve my family, but I'm going to make a concious decision to to something to help someone else out wether it's helping someone in asda reach something off a shelf, helping a colleague at work, or bringing my neighbours bin in for them.

Well, the Pope has set the bar pretty high so probably won't bother....

I wasn't going to do anything to be honest. 2 years ago I decided to give up coffee, the only time I gave anything up at all. I lasted less than 2 weeks and was quite surprised how much I "need" coffee. I suppose I could say I'm taking up writhing again as I decided yesterday I was going to. I meant to get back into my current work in progress in the new year but it didn't last, but I do really want to. I just struggle with motivation.

Cat Lady wrote:

...... I meant to get back into my current work in progress in the new year but it didn't last, but I do really want to. I just struggle with motivation.

Do it Cat - or I'll send my dog round !

How's that for motivation

Horny Glass Lover wrote:

..... But will be interesting to see what others give up. Something tells me it won't be sex toys ;-)

Well no chance of that HGL

So - I'm going to give up drinking, not completely, but I do need to cut down before I become an alcoholic !

More importantly - what I want to know is to whom has it been Lent, and for how long???

Old - But not THAT old! wrote:

Cat Lady wrote:

...... I meant to get back into my current work in progress in the new year but it didn't last, but I do really want to. I just struggle with motivation.

Do it Cat - or I'll send my dog round !

How's that for motivation

Depends on the dog. Sometimes I'm actually scared of dogs IRL - I don't like the barking or the sniffing!

I signed up for a short story class beginning next week so that might help me get back into writing. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to attend one of the other creative writing classes because I didn't know I had to ask in advance and we weren't told that - there seems to have been a presumption that people not actually taking the Creative Writing MA aren't bothered about writing our own stuff!

Good luck on cutting down the alcohol, and good luck to everyone else giving or taking things up!

Sweets. I am very doubtful that I can make it!

We UK islanders love biccies.....lets hear it for biccies everyone....hooorraahhh !

Giving up Biscuits dipped in tea.....I'm going for unsalted mixed nuts and raisins.....

Cat Lady wrote:

I suppose I could say I'm taking up writhing again as I decided yesterday I was going to.

This made me laugh although it shouldn't have, the image of someone rolling around on the floor proved too much for me. Although if anyone DOES writhe on a daily basis you should really give it up, you'll get loads of fluff on your clothes from your carpet!

HappilyExperimenting wrote:

Cat Lady wrote:

I suppose I could say I'm taking up writhing again as I decided yesterday I was going to.

This made me laugh although it shouldn't have, the image of someone rolling around on the floor proved too much for me. Although if anyone DOES writhe on a daily basis you should really give it up, you'll get loads of fluff on your clothes from your carpet!

Oops! Damn typos!

I'm not giving anything up, there's a recession on and I've given up enough already.

Like the idea HH, trying to think of my own change.
Will let you know when I do

Also didnt start a thread on religion so lets get into that, just if your giving anything up or starting something new as the case may be.

Hmmm. A lot of my friends seem to be giving up any/all of the big three - smoking, alcohol and chocolate.

Since I don't really do any of those (I seldom drink at occassions), I'm not sure.

Presumably it's supposed to be a 'sin' or a bad habit? Is that how it works?

Traditionally its for giving up luxuries or even fasting.

Can't see me doing either :) but then im not religious

oh it's for luxuries?

bugger.

Ok so far on my doing something for others every day, yeasterday got to work early and made tea for everyone at work. Today bought sweets into work to share in the staff kitchen.