Lent - Do you give anything up?

Just wondered if any of you give anything up for Lent?

Your reasons why?

I'm giving up chocolate (I do it every year) and facebook.

Giving up chocolate cos its bad for me and I always feel better for it, I end up not wanting chocolate till another 2 months after lent has finished. I'm giving up facebook as I feel it the root of all evil, arguments and its a vent for your feelings and people know too much about you - I have a habit of updating status too much so I've decided to give it up completeky for lent and it might stay that way.

I've also convinced my OH to give up smoking for lent, he wanted to give up and this is a reason to, but he cant go back after 40 days and 40 nights.... lets hope he's not too cranky!!!

Your thoughts and opinions welcome....

xGHx

Yes Lent!

I have in the past. Don't any more.

I tend to avoid things that are bad for me any way and I don't tend deny myself anything as I think it can be counter-productive.

I'm also not religious but that doesn't stop me partaking in other religious festivities so that's a minor thing really.

Adx

Nah. I don't see the point in flat out denial of things I like, I think moderation is often healthier.

And the whole Jesus lark doesn't mean much to me either...

I quite like to test my will-power but don't do it for any religious reaons.

xGHx

i once gave up wanking, lasted about 23 days

Doug wrote:

i once gave up wanking, lasted about 23 days

for any particular reason? or just cos it was lent?

hey 23 days if over half way - I couldn't do it, if i did i'd be major frustrated and not happy so i'd end up giving in!!! lol

just cos it was lent and i was getting so frustred and ended up just going oh fuck this,

when I was religious I gave up fizzy drinks and all forms of sweets, it actually ended up lasting a yeah until I was at a bible study and felt guilty that someone had purchased me both of those that night and felt I should eat them... I'm not religious anymore even though I was very involved with the church, probably too involved in some areas than I should of been.

Now I don't give up anything for lent, or even give up anything due to holidays or other beliefs. I don't really do much that is bad for me that I could give up... though tomorrow it looks like I will be giving up cups of tea due to my stock of tea running out, I'm hoping it'll only be for a few days though ;)

I just give up for Lent.

Maybe I'll give that up this year...

I give up religion for lent.

...and the rest of my life as well

No, never.

I eat *more* meat!

I am not religious and I have to admit I started to avoid festivities, but I respect other people who hold them. I don´t do many things which are bad for me, so I don´t have much to give up. I am afraid that if I give up anything I eat I would get cravings, like I did in January, when I had serious meat craving and I think my body was missing something which meat contains and it was telling me to suply it, as it went away after I fulfilled the craving.

don't tend to give anything up either.

don't even think i will bother with pancakes this year. i've gone off of food recently for some strange reason.

I'm not at all religious, but i have thought about giving up this forum for lent, just because i feel i waste far too much time on here.

I've given up chocolote in the hope that I'll lose a pound or two in the process.

Pancakes

did u know that sundays dont count for lent? 2 reasons, 1: 40 days and 40 nights doesn't fit 7 weeks :P

Also you can't fast on a feast day, and well the feast day wins, so sundays dont count

WandA wrote:

Nah. I don't see the point in flat out denial of things I like, I think moderation is often healthier.

And the whole Jesus lark doesn't mean much to me either...

My exact thoughts, I don't take part in Ramadam or other religious festivals (Christmas aside but that's really a corporate holiday in my opinion) and I also don't see the point in flat out denying yourself something. I lived for a good year on just salad and pasta once but now I'm just a man of moderation. :)