Libido making reappearance after so long

Hi all, been such a long time since I last posted on here but wanted some advice. For quite some time now my libido has been extremely low i.e pretty much non existent and it has caused problems between me and the other half. Very recently we(he) has been going through some problems (not related to our relationship) but I seem to have (miraculously) found my libido again and it seems most days now this past week I think about sex/sex with other half whereas before it didn’t even barely register on my radar for quite some time. We still had sex but infrequently. I have been and am on long term medication which I know loss of libido is a side effect but I know this hasn’t been my main reason for disinterest in sex. I have perhaps felt a bit out of touch in the relationship therefore struggled to connect emotionally alot of the time mostly due to stresses outside the relationship like work/family ect and find it hard to switch off most of the time. I am no different right now as these stresses haven’t gone away, but finding my sex drive again suddenly has left me somewhat feeling odd and confused. Feel daft writing this but just wanted other people’s views/opinions on the subject.

1 Like

Hello and welcome back @Softkitty30 :slightly_smiling_face:

Libidos can fluctuate wildly for lots of reasons. Medication (including birth control), hormones, stress, etc, etc, can all wipe it out - and even make you wonder if it ever existed at all. But the good news is that it can and does come back. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

I say make hay while the sun shines, and enjoy this new found lust for life while you’ve got it. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Don’t feel silly, it’s good to share and you’ll find you’re not alone as there are other people who are going through or have been through similar situations.

My partner and I have recently been through a tough phase in our relationship. Our sex life was non existent due to work, stress, kids etc. We got to a point where things needed to change, we weren’t connecting emotionally or sexually like we used to. What we did was talk. Communication is so important. We discussed where things went wrong and where we wanted to be. Every day we gave ourselves time in the evening when the kids went to bed. This time could be doing anything, watching tv, cuddling on the sofa etc. As we talked more I was able to open up about things that interested me sexually and my partner was able to do the same. Just talking about the things we wanted to explore and experiment was a big turn on :blush:

Now my sex drive is the best it’s ever been, I’ve gone from not wanting sex to wanting to it at every opportunity we have, hence me joining this forum to get tips and advice! Now we connect emotionally and sexually.

I’d say be honest with your partner, talk about how you feel and go from there.

2 Likes

Hello @Softkitty30

I’m thinking of your other thread here too, as that one seems to have exploded into something else, which is not your fault.

In my experience libido can ebb and flow for both partners.
All part of the ups and downs of our lives - relational, emotional, professional, medication etc . It just goes that way.

It is worth accepting that life does this. The ebbs and flows might be years in between, or months, or weeks, or days. It doesn’t matter - it is normal.

However… if you don’t ebb and flow at the same time as your partner (most don’t) then cut each other some slack.
There is nothing wrong with solo time. Most folk do this even when things are good - it’s normal.

It isn’t the same as being unfaithful, and it doesn’t mean you aren’t thinking of each other. Sometimes it is just easier than making love to someone else when you want a quick release.

No one is doing anything wrong, so please relax and don’t check up on each other.

I’m glad you have your mojo back - that happened to me after a long break (years). Good for you.

If your partner isn’t used to your new-found sexuality he may not recognise the hints, so at first you may need to be more obvious when you let him know. You can do this even if you are busy as a manager every day - just shower and change when you get home. Some lacy lingerie, a long wrap and perfume would be a way of letting him know that you are in the mood.

He isn’t a mind reader. You could set the tone with candles etc and then let him take over if you are tired of being in charge at work - but talk to each other so that you know each other’s cues.

Communication is always the key to emotional fulfilment. If you want flowers, seduction etc then you need to talk about it, especially if there has been a lull. And he will have needs too to talk about.

Wishing you both happy times ahead x

1 Like

Good for you - you sound strong.
Can I suggest you start your own thread, with your own title?
That way, members can give more specific advice :+1:
We’d love to hear more from you and from @Softkitty30

1 Like

I don’t think @EmaGreen was asking for any advice? I think she was just sharing her experience (and I’m glad it’s having a happier ending :+1:). Personally I thought it seemed on-topic?

All contributions welcome. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

ETA: @EmaGreen As you’re a new user you may not realise you can restore your post after you’ve withdrawn it, but it’s really easy. :+1: Just click on the three dots at the bottom of the post and it’ll expand to show the undo arrow. Tap that and it’ll bring it right back. :slightly_smiling_face:

(And hello and welcome :slightly_smiling_face:, by the way)

Pretty much echoing what others have said, but you are not alone. So many relationships, partners, people… you get my drift, go through these patches and stages in life.

Various things have an impact on our mental, and sexual health without us even realising. I know I have triggers, or things that certainly make me forget about sex for a while. I find though, I always try to make an effort just to keep the intimacy there as it helps drag me out of the low patch.

Be kind to yourself and enjoy the higher libido whilst its here. I hope it stays high for you and your husband and that you both manage to work through the other issues you mentioned :sparkling_heart: