Lockdown book club

I am going to be honest I am not a reader at all!
I honestly cannot remember the last book I read. Maybe one of the ones I had to read for GCSE English.
I obviously do reading such as textbooks and journals for my uni course but I cannot remember the last time I read for pleasure, reading a story book, sitting down and connecting with myself through a story.

I am looking to start reading again, starting slow with maybe just a chapter once a week and working up.

I want to find a sensual story about either sex, self love, femininity, body image, or anything similar to these topics.

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Good on you for giving it a go, (but thatā€™s not really my area so Iā€™m helpless there), still, all the luck to you and I hope you enjoy!!!

1 Like

I like a classic mystery - finally read all of the Agatha Christie novels.

And Iā€™ll admit Iā€™m a sucker for a happy ending.

I love detective novels and murder mysteries but much prefer ones with strong female characters and definitely a happy ending! I read books to relax, not to cry!! I have a stressful job so I like to read simple, easy books that donā€™t require much thinking. A good sex scene definitely adds to the enjoyment :wink:

I visited Greenway (Agatha Christieā€™s home) near Dartmouth a couple of years ago. Definitely worth a trip.

1 Like

Nineteen eighty-four is a true classic .
Iā€™ve read it many times , and every time , I get something different out of it .

3 Likes

Also, more relevant today then ever.

2 Likes

Did you read it when it was in the future?

or see Back to the Future 2 before the future became the past?

4 Likes

Yes to both for me! Read 1984 at school, but re-read it on holiday a couple of years ago! BTTF2 saw that when it came out! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I first saw the BBC play ( made in the mid 50s ) in 1977 .
I then read the book .
It was in the future back then .
Since then , I have read the book many times .
Iā€™d recommend some of Orwellā€™s essays as well

2 Likes

Some of Orwellā€™s stuff can be very gloomy and depressing though. Down and Out in Paris and London
I was down and out and didnā€™t make it to the end. Like Grapes of Wrath it just seemd to be getting worse and worse but without any of the endearing characters or bittersweet, heart wrenching humour of Steinbeckā€™s work

2 Likes

@WillC finished 1984. Totally relevant to current society as you said! Can see why itā€™s always on lists of books everyone should read. Vietnam war next on my ā€œfire sideā€ book list.

4 Likes

Scary just how relevant isnā€™t it?

Indeed! Particularly with the whole covid lockdown at the minute! Orwell must have had a crystal ball

1 Like

On International Womenā€™s Day

Refusing to be a Man : John Stoltenberg

A book for the male feminist

Mrs Dalloway : Virginia Woolf

First couple of pages are drawing me in already

1 Like

Reading ā€˜Sha**ed, married, annoyedā€™.

Very funny - even a bit of nostalgia.

1 Like

Cold Comfort Farm : Stella Gibbons

1 Like

Corona: False Alarm? Very interesting read.

1 Like

Not a new release, but recently reread Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - I tend to prefer easy reading rather than anything too emotionally overwhelming! Life is stressful enough without escaping into somewhere even bleaker hahaha!

5 Likes

Sylvia Day crossfire novels are very good, Iā€™m on book 4/5. :+1:t2:

2 Likes