memory foam mattresses

Alicia D'amore wrote:

It's also important to get an idea of what firmness you want - too soft and you get stuck in a hole and that means you're waking up every hour to readjust into a more comfortable position and you're not sleeping very well!

Too firm and you end up bruised!

Adx

Ahh, never realised they come in varieties of firm-ness! When I was getting my bed - first time getting to choose my own, whoop-whoop! - I'd looked at them, as I get really bad back pain, and need as brick-hard a matress as possible to not wind up incapacitated. But the only memory foam ones I was shown were, while lovely and squishy, about as far away from 'firm' as you could get. I'm happy with my current olde stylee firm mattress, but never understood why there was so much fuss over memory foam as an orthopedic when it appeared to be horrificly spongey with no support. Makes sense if there's actual supportive ones as well as the bag-o'-marshmallows versions I'd been shown.

Yeah we struck lucky with ours because we didn't try it out - it's firm enough that I don't sink into it (maybe it helps that I don't weigh very much) too much but sink enough to prevent bruising. I moulds but doesn't completely cup you so you're not trapped.

I don't get the fuss over soft and squishy matresses of any type - at home I have a springless firm matress that is wonderful but the memory foam matress really made such a difference to my joints :)

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

That's right although I think they've started making english sized beds too now :)

Adx

Oh? That's handy!

BashfulBabe wrote:

Alicia D'amore wrote:

It's also important to get an idea of what firmness you want - too soft and you get stuck in a hole and that means you're waking up every hour to readjust into a more comfortable position and you're not sleeping very well!

Too firm and you end up bruised!

Adx

Ahh, never realised they come in varieties of firm-ness! When I was getting my bed - first time getting to choose my own, whoop-whoop! - I'd looked at them, as I get really bad back pain, and need as brick-hard a matress as possible to not wind up incapacitated. But the only memory foam ones I was shown were, while lovely and squishy, about as far away from 'firm' as you could get. I'm happy with my current olde stylee firm mattress, but never understood why there was so much fuss over memory foam as an orthopedic when it appeared to be horrificly spongey with no support. Makes sense if there's actual supportive ones as well as the bag-o'-marshmallows versions I'd been shown.

Ha! My parents' mattress is like a brick. And that's after fifteen years of having it!

Try sleeping on a mattress in India. I think the floor has more give in it. Used to wake up with my arms aching from the pressure of my body over them everynight. Used to wake up tired and in pain.

I guess they are used to it but I found it awful. It made orthopaedic beds look like a sack of goose feathers

I have a mattress topper from my local disability shop. It's foam (as in sponge) not memory foam and about 6" deep. Sounds really soft but it's quite firm. The top is cut half way through into little squares so it moulds to you really well.
I have bursitis in my hips so can't lay on my side on harder mattresses but this has been a godsend! Cost about £250 for a double.
I had to get deep fitted sheets but they're easily found online or in some shops and they're not that much more expensive.

BigPoppa wrote:

Try sleeping on a mattress in India. I think the floor has more give in it. Used to wake up with my arms aching from the pressure of my body over them everynight. Used to wake up tired and in pain.

I guess they are used to it but I found it awful. It made orthopaedic beds look like a sack of goose feathers

ow! That doesn't sound pleasant.

Pixie - a local disability shop? I didn't know such things existed.

I have one, best mattress I have ever slept on. I used to sometimes wake-up with back-ache but I never do now.

Another vote for memory foam matresses i love mine. i must say i thought i was the only one who found them to keep the heat in them when iwasnt very well the other week i got upthen around 3 hours later i got back into bed and it was still warm!

kunoichi wrote:

BigPoppa wrote:

Most areas have one supplying mostly to the elderly (commodes, wheelchairs etc...) you can hire bits from them or buy. Yellow pages should bring up a list if your interested in seeing what they can get. But if you do want memeory foam I'd do an internet search for the best prices :-)

Pixie_Murree wrote:

kunoichi wrote:

BigPoppa wrote:

Most areas have one supplying mostly to the elderly (commodes, wheelchairs etc...) you can hire bits from them or buy. Yellow pages should bring up a list if your interested in seeing what they can get. But if you do want memeory foam I'd do an internet search for the best prices :-)

That's good to know! Thanks!

if you look on ebay they do wholesale prices (e.g. the people that sell to all the big companies) got mine for £150 delivered, its a superking :D and got a new superking bedframe for about £70, just gotta spend the time to search!

would recommend those mattresses anytime u have a look at the bedding shops like dream beds ours cost 180

I defo recommend these mattresses too - we spent about £250 on ours but I suffer from problems with my spine and trapped nerves so it was worth spending.

No more mattress springs bouncing during sex

I think they're totally over-rated! I slept on one at my friends house and didn't find it comfy at all, because I'm a bigger women I find that I just sink in to them and when I try to change how I'm laying I can't move out of the little indent I've created!

Liquidsugar wrote:

I think they're totally over-rated! I slept on one at my friends house and didn't find it comfy at all, because I'm a bigger women I find that I just sink in to them and when I try to change how I'm laying I can't move out of the little indent I've created!

We discussed this earlier on this page - there are different firm-nesses making them comfortable for all if you find the right one! Just like a normal mattress really - without the inconvenience of springs.

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

Liquidsugar wrote:

We discussed this earlier on this page - there are different firm-nesses making them comfortable for all if you find the right one! Just like a normal mattress really - without the inconvenience of springs.

Adx

Ah - I should have read the whole thing before I posted! I don't think they're for me though, they just seem over priced and I like 'bouncy' normal matresses (:

Yeah they certainly don't suit everyone (they hold on to heat for one thing which some people hate!) but I don't think they're over-rated - I think they provide a lot of people with a good night's sleep and for me (with my dodgy joints) I can truly say it's changed my live enabling me to get some decent quality sleep for at least a few hours a night!

I love my memory foam mattress :D

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

Yeah they certainly don't suit everyone (they hold on to heat for one thing which some people hate!) but I don't think they're over-rated - I think they provide a lot of people with a good night's sleep and for me (with my dodgy joints) I can truly say it's changed my live enabling me to get some decent quality sleep for at least a few hours a night!

I love my memory foam mattress :D

Adx

I have arthritis and I didn't find it helped me with that either, I find sleeping with a pillow under my knees does the job just fine! I understand some people depend on them, if they help others that's great, they're just not for me.