METAL \m/

Well, i was just inquiring whether any of ye fine genlemena nd ladies of the rope enjoy a good bit of pottasium, lithium, strontium or copper.

No, I was wondering: do you like metal?

What genres do you enjoy? Any albums to recommend?

I like primarily folk metal and doom metal. These are good, because they have a tendancy to have less growlings. I love Turisas, Austere and Agalloch.

Iron Maiden Courses through my veins

Tomcatter wrote:

Iron Maiden Courses through my veins

Iron Maiden. One of my old favourite bands. Partially reponsible, along with a few others (inc my Dad) for making me choose guitar over keyboards as my instrument of choice.

Have everything up to and including " No Prayer For The Dying" - all on vinyl.

Whats the later stuff like?

Also got fair bit of Faith No More, Led Zep, The Cult (up to Sonic Temple), The Mission also on vinyl.

Will have have to order a load of CD of my old faves. Not heard them for ages.

It makes me very angry that I can't go to Bloodstock, and that Soni's cancelled.

Me and my man love a bit of METAL! We absolutely love Sabaton, their lastest doesn't do a lot for me, I much prefer Coat of Arms and Art of War. I love me Power Metal.

Machine Head - Into the Locast is excellent

Mastodon - The Hunter is also excellent

Christian Mistress - Possesion (Again excellent)

Ginger Wildheart - 555% (Excellent)

Opeth - Heritage (Excellent)

It Bites (PROG) - Map of The Past (Excellent)

I could go on! Add me if you like :)

illumine wrote:

I like a bit of old metal but cannot stand Iron Maiden. Some of their songs are good but it mostly all sounds the same to me.

Yeah they do stick to their particular style and sound most of the time. "Horse galloping" type of feel. No 3rd power chords either mute or ringing out. Verse - chorus - verse - chorus - solo for each guitarist.

But they can or could write some great melodies. Suppose you like it or not.

I wouldn't class them as Metal anyway. Too mainstream and melodic. Even back in the day they were sneered at by fans of "real" metal such as the ridiculous Napalm Death.

Technically very good musicians though. (the old line up. Can't speak for now)

my wife love Nutz especially the hard nutz album but befeore we became an item her boyfriends band blew Saxon into the nethersphere, Iron Maiden were complete pap and AC/DC were the worst band I ever saw, noise on a criminal level

I saw AC / DC live 6 times and every time they got louder and worse, Iron Maiden were past their best in 1982, The Jam and The Clash were brilliant but as a metal rock band UFO with Michael Schenker at Newcastle City Hall take some beating

Bit sad someone referred to Deftones as kiddy metal. Love them.

Also love tool, fear factory, faith no more, meshuggah, periphery,mastodon, machine head... It's a long list really.

Some metal fans are so silly and annoying. They love to declare themselves fans of a band that nobody else has heard of. The more people don't "get it" the happier they are.

If a band becomes too popular, or accepted by the mainstream, they will move on to something else that (they hope) nobody has heard of.

They love it.

If you've heard of it - they won't want to know. Its known as the exclusivity effect.

Champions of individuality and personal choice. Loving to be fashionably unfashionable. Carefully staying one step ahead so that even Jo Whiley looks blank.

She's another one. If you've heard of it - she won't like it.

On second thoughts, maybe they should be commended for deciding to ignore TV/Radio charts and always striving to look for something totally new and as anti establishment as possible.

I was a bit like that to be honest as a teenager. Silly metal politics!

Seem to remember people who sewed Iron Maiden patches on got the most stick. Known as "plastic fans" by the real metal fans.

Proper metal fans would hand paint stuff onto their bikers jacket.

Seems so silly now. Used to seem really important. LOL

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Door Glass - I can see where you are coming from, but I think I agree that it's good that they are looking for bands that are off the beaten track. After all, all bands have to start from somewhere and if they gain the support from these types of people it is what helps them make it in to popularity. Some bands will always be unsigned or always play underground, and they are more than happy with that, music over money, but that doesn't mean they don't make great music!!

Yeah I was being a little flippant and generalising a bit.

Personally I hate manufactured stuff - music created by committee designed to extract pocket money from children - am all for original small bands doing their own thing.

But its ok to like commercially successful stuff as well.

A good example is Coldplay. They were considered "cool" before they were signed and for a while after. Now, having experienced great success, it seems to be the fashion to slag them off. I still think they are awesome.

Doesn't mean I sit listening to them all day!

I like some elements of pop, rock, metal, dance, 80s, 90s, norties, folk...whatever. Silly to label oneself as a "metalhead" or restrict yourself by pledging allegiance to only one gendre.

Ah yes The Mission. Love em.

Ordered The First Chapter, Gods Own Medicine and Children cds only yesterday. The vinyls sitting in my cupboard. Takes me back...

U2 are a tricky one. Moments of brilliance but at the same time annoying with lots of forgettable stocking fillers. Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby all good. After that not too impressed.

Just looking at my old vinyls. Transvision Vamp! Really??? haha

Rise Against=/= metal.

Rise against are metalcore or hard rock.

Any other people who like folk here?

yeah, i heard of them. they're okay. Seem to emphasise on folk, not metal, though.

I absolutely love metal, though I've evolved from my younger teenage days when metal and hard rock were the only things I listened to (thankfully :P). I think power metal and symphonic metal are my preferences - Blind Guardian (definite favourite), Nightwish, Within Temptation, etc.

But that doesn't mean I don't love other bands. :)

Im a Turisas man myself. Gotta respect bros who dress up as vikings and sing about pillages/

MuseOD wrote:

Im a Turisas man myself. Gotta respect bros who dress up as vikings and sing about pillages/

Are they anything like this...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSkaAwKMD4

This week I have most been listening to Grand Magus! I suggest you people get on it!