anybody on here like metal and other alt music

use this thread to discuss and share bands and stuff

firstly thats a thread about music in general and this is more specific

secondly you really havnt heard any decent metal then, try not to generalise it makes you look silly

headsouth wrote:

Most metal isn't "alt" though, most of it is just boy band fodder fed through a distortion pedal, like Linkin Park.

Sorry, I disagree - I wouldn't call Linkin Park metal personally.

I quite like bits of metal and heavier rock, but I'm not knowledgeable on it, I just know I like the early Metallica and a few other bits and bobs!

Adx

Futa_deep_fisting wrote:

secondly you really havnt heard any decent metal then, try not to generalise it makes you look silly

To be fair he probably has heard 'decent metel' then as he found it no problem making a distinction between the manufactured teeny bopper stuff and another type. No need to harbour such contempt.

And No, I don't like it.

headsouth wrote:

Probably best to discuss it here really... http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/183787-oa-music-lounge-tell-us-your-favourites-and/

Most metal isn't "alt" though, most of it is just boy band fodder fed through a distortion pedal, like Linkin Park.

OI! Leave Linkin Park alone, they were good back in the day and they still are in my opinion! External Media There's nothing wrong with their music!

You'll probably find that Alternative music is hard to find nowadays as pretty much anything you're gonna hear is mainstream unless you're into proper underground music.

i don't understand why people feel they have to try so hard to be different when it comes to music tastes! It really doesn't get you any points in anything! External Media

headsouth wrote:

WandA wrote:

Futa_deep_fisting wrote:

To be fair he probably has heard 'decent metel' then as he found it no problem making a distinction between the manufactured teeny bopper stuff and another type. No need to harbour such contempt.

And No, I don't like it.

I like plenty of "decent" metal. Was bouncing around in my car to Freak On A Leash yesterday thankyou very much. You've no idea what music I like, so please don't judge without knowledge. I could probably beat you hands down in terms of "alt" music in its many forms if it's a competition, but I don't know about you, so won't make such a statement. Alt can cover soooo much stuff it's unreal, from country to krautrock to electronica, so is not very specific at all. If only there was a long thread about what music people liked... External Media

good choice External Media

DesignDude wrote:

You'll probably find that Alternative music is hard to find nowadays as pretty much anything you're gonna hear is mainstream unless you're into proper underground music.

this. the internet has made it so much easier for bands to be heard by loads of people, so theres not really an "alternative" scene anymore. just as many people listen to metal as they do pop.

i like metal music, but im not gonna name drop. i tend to find theres just as much snobbery over which bands are "cool" in rock music as there is in the more mainstream stuff.

it isnt among a lot of my mates, but then again i probably have weird mates. i just seem to find that "alternative" is now more of a fashion statement than a preference for music and stuff. plus what some people define as metal isnt classed as it by others.

DesignDude wrote:

I don't like music *because* it's fashionable and I think that's what some "alt" people look for - music isn't good *just* because it's popular...doesn't mean we can't love and enjoy "popular" music though.

I'll listen to anything...I mean anything! I don't care about reputations and what I'm "supposed" to like, as long as it's enjoyable to listen to (doesn't even really have to be good :P) then I'll listen to it. Meaning WandA gets very annoyed with me constantly saying "oh I love this song" hehe! Good example - that new advert with "Birdhouse in your Soul" on it - LOVE it!

Adx

DesignDude wrote:

i don't understand why people feel they have to try so hard to be different when it comes to music tastes! It really doesn't get you any points in anything! External Media

I know, my musical taste is horrific, I find it easier to like a band/artist/song instead of a set genre, so folk get confused when I can have SOAD followed by Nina Simone with a bit of Basement Jaxx thrown in. I gave up trying to "be cool" long ago, was easier to just flit from clique to clique as the mood struck me: was the weird thing in school, as soon as I stopped trying to fit into any set group, I fit into them all.

Folk still mock me for my taste in music at times, but meh, some of them listen to Justin Beiber, so I can still claim the moral victory. ^_^

Alicia D'amore wrote:

Good example - that new advert with "Birdhouse in your Soul" on it - LOVE it!

Adx

They might Be Giants are awesome, I love their version of "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)".

BashfulBabe wrote:

DesignDude wrote:

I know, my musical taste is horrific, I find it easier to like a band/artist/song instead of a set genre,

I'm the same only even more specific - I like songs rather than bands/artists/genres.

Sometimes I like a few songs by one band or artist or even a whole album but moreso prefer specific songs.

Adx

going to have to say that im not into rock or metal i used to be years ago i used to listen to linkin park, and such what but now im a hardcore dubstep fan there has to be a heavy beat to get me moving :D

dubstep is awesome

i mostly go for very dark forms of metal (black, death, sludge) harcore and post hardcore non metal its anything but pop and country (love a bit of cash every now and then tho)

dubstep is awesome

i mostly go for very dark forms of metal (black, death, sludge) harcore and post hardcore non metal its anything but pop and country (love a bit of cash every now and then tho)

I mainly listen to metal and all the alternative stuff from a few years ago when i was 14/15.

i listen to all the old style rock and stuff that my mum and dad listened to when they were young because its what i have grown up listening to.

i listen to wrestling themes because WWE is my passion.

i listen to my glee soundtracks because i don't particulary care that nobody else likes it 'cos i do!

My favourite three bands are rather different from each other, from first to last (with sonny mainly) westlife and murderdolls

i would consider myself to be heavy music fan more so than anything else

VW x

Futa_deep_fisting wrote:

use this thread to discuss and share bands and stuff

Aye!...

Fields of the Nephilim (in all its incarnations, from 1984 to present)

The Nefilim

Last Rites

The Eden House

NFD

The Sisters of Mercy

Katie Melua (she is an indie artist, signed to Dramatico, so she counts!)

Danielle Dax

Midnight Oil

Pink Floyd

AC/DC

...to name a few.