Mooncups

Back in December another OA'er asked whether or not anyone had used a Mooncup before because she was encountering some (possibly unrelated) problems. It had been something I'd been considering using for a while and spurred on by her thread I decided to purchase one this month!

So, I've decided I'm going to do a little mini thread (like a blog lol) of my experience so that can be useful to others considering using it, but also any current users can help me out

Men and squeamish look away now.

OK, I've come on a week early. Totally unexpected, not at ALL like me, looks totally different to normal and has caught me somewhat by surprise and low on usual supplies (I think I know why it's happened btw but wasn't expecting it to happen to me)

I did however buy my Mooncup 2 weeks ago so I've decided to use it now.

First things first - ouchy. Because it's all new to me and you're supposed to trim the stem off it etc etc I've had this thing in and out of me 4 times in probably as many minutes and it's made things somewhat..... delicate. However, Pjur natural glide (water based) to the rescue to help things out!

So, it tells you 2 ways to insert but because it is designed to 'pop' back into it's correct shape when it's in you I have had a couple of false starts where it's popped open too early sending the bloody thing flying away from me - not assisted by the fact I have lube on my fingers to try and make it less ouchy

Now, this is worn low down in the vagina - but exactly where the right place is I have no flipping idea. I've got it in now and I think it's sitting in the right place but I have NO real idea. If anyone uses one can they help point me in the right direction?? I can't really feel it but as per previous ouchy sentence I can feel something but think it's just irritation.

Second point - it's supposed to create a "vacuum" or suction so there is no leakage. It tells you what you can do to ensure you have created this vacuum but I can't seem to work it out.

There is a little video - http://www.mooncup.co.uk/advice-centre/faqs.html#433 but I think until you start trying it out yourself, you don't actually know! Any I don't want an leakages if I can help it as I'm not going to be in tonight!!

So, we'll see what happens. Hopefully this will not be an epic fail. Any suggestions to make things easier etc greatfully accepted and we'll see what happens!!!

I should also point out I'm a bit scared I've cut the stem too short and I won't be able to retrieve it!

Wow, thats interesting idea, but I am not sure if I would dare. I did not like tampons either, to be honest. I had to remove them soon after inserting them in. Do you feel it, when it is in? Or not at all? Also how uncomfortable was it to try to put it inside? Wondering if that gets easier with practice (I remember my first tries with contacts, but now it is easy to do). Definitely I will read this blog, sounds interesting.

Hi, I hope you don't mind a contribution from a non-user, it's just I dated a girl several years ago who used one of these. She said it took a bit of getting used to, but then she never looked back, saved a fortune in sanitary products and helped the environment. I think she deliberately trimmed hers slightly on the short side as she prefered it that way, it just meant having to fish around for it a bit.

Sorry I can't offer more detailed advice, good luck, hope you get the hang of it.

Laveila wrote:

Wow, thats interesting idea, but I am not sure if I would dare. I did not like tampons either, to be honest. I had to remove them soon after inserting them in. Do you feel it, when it is in? Or not at all? Also how uncomfortable was it to try to put it inside? Wondering if that gets easier with practice (I remember my first tries with contacts, but now it is easy to do). Definitely I will read this blog, sounds interesting.

Postillionager wrote:

Hi, I hope you don't mind a contribution from a non-user, it's just I dated a girl several years ago who used one of these. She said it took a bit of getting used to, but then she never looked back, saved a fortune in sanitary products and helped the environment. I think she deliberately trimmed hers slightly on the short side as she prefered it that way, it just meant having to fish around for it a bit.

Sorry I can't offer more detailed advice, good luck, hope you get the hang of it.

Non-users are always welcome to comment!

Lavelia - I quite like the contact lenses comparison and yes, people do say it gets easier with practice - when it's in you're not supposed to be able to feel it, but at the moment I can because I made myself sore trying to get it in, in the first place lol

However, in terms of putting it in, it's no different to inserting a vibe or a dildo. You just push it in - it's just knowing how far etc that I need to work out!

Postillionager - thanks for letting me know that, def good to know - it's a bit daunting and I keep resisting the urge to go and fish it back out now just for a bit of reassurance!!

LK I've been interested in getting one of these for awhile but have wondered how well they worked. So I will keep reading this thread.

Can I ask where you purchased yours? I'm in the middle of nowhere really when it comes to shops and haven't found the mooncup in my local boots or superdrug... though they are very small stores.

I ordered mine directly from the Mooncup website.

Came in the smallest packaging (a simple brown envelope) and despite saying it would take something like 14 days, only took a week so I was very impressed!

LittleKitty wrote:

I ordered mine directly from the Mooncup website.

Came in the smallest packaging (a simple brown envelope) and despite saying it would take something like 14 days, only took a week so I was very impressed!

Ok thanks, well if you get on ok with it I might order one.

May be you could use it with a pad, just to be on the safe side for the first few goes?

I've had my mooncup for at least a couple of years now. I would hate to go back to not using it now. When they are new, they are tricky to get the hang of insertion - mainly because they're quite springy when you're trying. It gets easier on every insertion. By about day 3 you'll be pretty much a pro. I trimmed mine quite short. I left it longer to begin with but found it slightly irritating. You don't really use that when removing, so you don't need to be able to grab it. Just slide a finger in alongside the mooncup - this breaks the vacuum and you can easily pinch it out. I also find that i can move it closer to the entrance by flexingmy pelvic floor muscles - but it was only after I had been using it for months that I discovered this.

Exactly where it should sit is really personal choice. I know I don't place mine exactly the same each time. It goes higher when I put it in, in the shower. Lower when on the loo. I find that as long as there is nothing low enough to stick out, then it is safe and secure. Once it is inserted, I stand up and then tense and relax my pelvic muscles - that shows me whether it is comfortably placed or not.

The first few times I used mine, I used a pantyliner or towel as well - as much for my own reassurance as anything else. Now I have total confidence.

In addition to not having to buy other things, a mooncup is the only thing that copes with my heavy periods.

Without it, I have to change hourly - quite tricky at work.

I don't know if any of this is useful - or just rambling - but keep going with it - it's worth getting the hang of.

I bought one just over a month ago and used it for the first time on my last period. I had a few problems getting it to sit correctly the first day or so but once you get the knack it's pretty easy. I was surprised at how little leakage I had, most of it came from insertion/removal. You need to be a bit of a contortionist at first but it gets easier! There was A LOT of swearing coming from the bathroom for the first couple of days!

First off, I don't use lube. Too slippy. Plain water works fine. I coat it so there's a beaded layer of water on it. I found the fold in half and in half again works best, the other way didn't seem to open up.

I found the way to tell how deep to insert it is fold it, hold it so the pads of your fingers are about halfway up the cup bit and insert it, sliding it in and gently 'sucking in' with your muscles at the same time. Then grasp the bottom and twist it round and it'll open up if it hasn't already. The bottom end is roughly second knuckle deep. If you inserted your middle finger you get almost to the second knuckle as you touch the stem part.. obviously this depends on how much stem you have. I don't know if this is deeper than it's meant to be but I found it's the most comfortable position. I think it tends to find it's natural position after a while. Run your finger round the outside of the cup so you know it's opened up properly. I also give the stem a little tug to make sure. Don't forget the open shape wont be round as your vagina probably isn't that shape. When inserted mine tended towards oval in shape from the feel of it.

Don't worry about cutting the stem too short, I cut the bulk of mine off. What you need to do when removing is gently push down five or six times and it'll naturally lower itself so you can get a hold of it. Run your finger up the side and around if you can to release the seal, grasp at the bottom and squeeze wiggling it side to side as you slide it down and out. Empty, rinse, repeat

If you're a bit unsure about leakage wear a towel the first time 'til you get used to it. That's what I did for peace of mind. You'll also get used to how often you need to empty it, I was used to how often I have to change with towels and, for me, I ended up emptying after 4 or more hours instead of 2 hours with the towel. Towards the end it got longer between changes.

Even though it's only the first time I've used one I'm impressed. It does take a little bit of faffing about to get it right but I think I'll stick to it.

Hope you get on okay!

Sharry

i got mine dircet from Mooncup as well, came a couple of days later and was cheaper than at Boots. There are other brands out there that are cheaper, do a google search for menstrual cup.

Hi ladies This will be a very interesting thread to follow.

I tried a mooncup a few years ago but just couldn't get on with it.

Inserting it was tricky at first, but with practice was fine. The problem i had was that it always leaked a little bit, so i had to wear a panty liner aswell, kind of defeating the purpose!

I had the size A, as i've had 2 vaginal births and am over 30.

I tried putting it in low down and higher up, but whatever i did it still leaked.

I had read that my body would just sort of 'suck' it into the right position, and although it was comfy ( couldn't feel it when it was in) it still leaked. I trimmed the stem down to various different lengths, but found that i could always feel it, so in the end i cut it off altogether.

I read loads of advice here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=196357&highlight=mooncup . There are even suggestions about how to utilise what the mooncup has collected!

bumble wrote:

Hi ladies External Media This will be a very interesting thread to follow.

Inserting it was tricky at first, but with practice was fine. The problem i had was that it always leaked a little bit, so i had to wear a panty liner aswell, kind of defeating the purpose!

I tried putting it in low down and higher up, but whatever i did it still leaked.

I had read that my body would just sort of 'suck' it into the right position, and although it was comfy ( couldn't feel it when it was in) it still leaked. I trimmed the stem down to various different lengths, but found that i could always feel it, so in the end i cut it off altogether.

I read loads of advice here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=196357&highlight=mooncup . There are even suggestions about how to utilise what the mooncup has collected! External Media

I've had to start doing pelvic floor exercises.. they'll help tighten your muscles and probably help with the leakage. You can find them easily if you do a search on pelvic floor or kegel exercises. The up side is they help increase feelingExternal Media

sharry wrote:

bumble wrote:

Hi ladies External Media This will be a very interesting thread to follow.

I read loads of advice here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=196357&highlight=mooncup . There are even suggestions about how to utilise what the mooncup has collected! External Media

I've had to start doing pelvic floor exercises.. they'll help tighten your muscles and probably help with the leakage. You can find them easily if you do a search on pelvic floor or kegel exercises. The up side is they help increase feelingExternal Media

Yes PC exercises will help hold up the mooncup, but I guess the mooncup will not work for everyone due to the differances in everyones body. I wrote a review for the lelo luna beads which explained a little about PC muyscles which might be helpful. basically the tips can be applied to most kegel beads/ balls: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=12689&reviewid=31394#customer_reviews

I get the feeling it's not about being able to hold the cup in when it comes to leaking... well for some. probably just the shape doesn't work for everyone.

Well, I've taken it out once as I was paranoid I wouldn't be able to do so easily - and it was fine!

Now I feel like it might be in the wrong place so am debating messing about with it. I'm also toying with the idea of cutting off the stem completely - it seems to be annoying me!

LK! 1000 thank you's for this thread!! i was only talking about this the other night with my friend, who was trying to convince me to get one... i'll be reading your mini-blog with interest!!

I've been meaning to get one for months so I've just taken the plunge and ordered one!

Will report back when I give it a go :)

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

I've been meaning to get one for months so I've just taken the plunge and ordered one!

Will report back when I give it a go :)

Adx

These things confuse me. They look so great and much better than other methods... But I wonder why they're not more popular!

I then stop thinking about the issue 'cos I know nothing about the subject. Ah, ignorance.External Media

I think the reason why they are not so popular is, that some women don´t like something in their vaginas. I think if you don´t like tampones it is possible you would rather not try these as well. The other thing is, it is not something women are really aware of. I don´t know about UK, as I grew up in another country, but in my country they never spoke about this option when I was growing up. And I think that menstruation cup has been round for some time now (but proove me wrong, I am not sure).

LK: I think it is similar to contact lenses in many ways. Contacts can be very uncomfortable the first few tries, but you get used to it and you can insert them on first try usually, after a while. Make me wonder if the feeling of it will go away after you know better how to put it in the correct position.

I am also thinking, considering there are 2 sizes, if sexual life can influence how suitable it is. I have been until very recently completely unused to having anything inside me, so wondering from what age etc they can be recommended.