Alternative sanitary protection

I'm looking into purchasing some of the colth reusable sanitary pads and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this. Also does anyone have any good recommendations of companies or types to use ?

Thanks fizzy

Hi Fizzy, have you thought about a menstrual cup?
Someone twitter recommended one and I have used one for the first month and they're great!
I was certain I would be able to feel it but inside but you cannot feel a thing. There really comfy & easy to insert/get out.

+1 for mooncup!

Yes I'm thinking about getting one of them as well . I was thinking mainly the pads as I sometimes get dermatitis down below which flares up around my period and it can be very sore to insert anything.so I thought the pads would be kinder to my skin

Ouch, poor you.
Just ask my friend, she uses these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LYO7IJC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1488958598&sr=8-2&keywords=washable+sanitary+pads
Not particular fancy but she says they do the job.

Recommend the Lunette cup if you go for one.

fizzy wrote:

Yes I'm thinking about getting one of them as well . I was thinking mainly the pads as I sometimes get dermatitis down below which flares up around my period and it can be very sore to insert anything.so I thought the pads would be kinder to my skin

I tried the mooncup as I get reactions to pads but I too did not get on with it . I found it painful and uncomfortable. This is partly due to how bad my monthlys are.

I am thinking about trying period pants by THINX.  They may be worth looking into. 

I purchased a mooncup few months ago and have used it past 2 month cycles and i am getting on with it.

It is so convenient to not worry about pads/tampons/panty liners etc. Pop the moon cup in and forget about it for several hours. You can continue life as normal, working out/swimming etc.

I have a high cervix so the cup and stem disappears inside me. I can bear down a little enough to be able to retrieve it so i dont worry (plus it literally can go no where)

You can steralize the cups as theyre made out of silicone (steralize on the hob in a pot of water for 5-10 minutes)

Leanne may I add perhaps looking at other cups, the mooncup has a very pronounced lip and i too find this uncomfortable *sometimes* have a look at the lily cup, the lip on this is far less and looks really squidgy and comfortable.

Fizzy i urge to you consider cups over cloth pads as these sound more inconvenient in my opinion, having to wash them and I cant see them lasting. Moon cups can last up to 8 years I believe.

Good luck!

🐼

fizzy wrote:

Pads arent necessarily kinder to your skin as they restrict a lot of air flow to the area, with the added blood and warmth from your body = a wonderful environment for germs. Pads and cloth pads sound like they would just exacerbate your problem to be honest. As you can leave the cup in for several hours this would be less time spent on harrasing your downstairs area with having to change your pads. With a cup you can leave it in for several hours and spread eagle for however long is necessary to allow you to apply cream if needed etc and let it air out.

SquirtyPanda wrote:

Leanne may I add perhaps looking at other cups, the mooncup has a very pronounced lip and i too find this uncomfortable *sometimes* have a look at the lily cup, the lip on this is far less and looks really squidgy and comfortable.

🐼

Thank you for the suggestion but it is simply that during this time of the month any insertion is painful & uncomfortable for me. I really wish I could use these as they seem like the perfect resolution to my reaction predicament but sadly they are not :( 

Thank you ![heart|20x20](upload://4WyQT1gwKaQJNwhYxrKZ1rOPglF.gif "heart")

Has anyone found any that'd be good for using when doing yoga and Pilates? I have a few cups and some moves can make the seal break, and I've found many cloth pads bulky that get in the way of moves as we as look silly when wearing leggings. I guess I could try sponges but they'd never been appealing to me.

I am ALL about menstrual cups! 🙌  Changed over about 4 years ago and haven't looked back. 

I think I will go for a new design soon though. Right now I have the Mooncup which works great, but I rather like the look of this no-spill design: https://femmycycle.com/product/femmycycle/

I'm also going to invest in some of these amazing period pants (check out the reviews): https://www.shethinx.com/ 

Lady Ness wrote:

Has anyone found any that'd be good for using when doing yoga and Pilates? I have a few cups and some moves can make the seal break, and I've found many cloth pads bulky that get in the way of moves as we as look silly when wearing leggings. I guess I could try sponges but they'd never been appealing to me.

Ah check out the links I've just posted.... They're both for active wear :) 

I don't get on with menstrual cups, they stay folded when I put them in.
I bought some re-usable pads off ebay, they come in several funky designs and the wings have a popper button, so they stay put. They're so comfy and made of bamboo too.

Purring-Pussy wrote:

I bought some re-usable pads off ebay, they come in several funky designs and the wings have a popper button, so they stay put. They're so comfy and made of bamboo too.

Have you tried looking online? (if you're still wanting to get on with a cup that is). It sounds like the menstural cup you've tried is just too big for you. 

There are other brands online which do a vast array of sizes... I think one of them has like 16 sizes to choose from, or something like that! 

Oh, those bulb ones look loads different to the cone styles I've tried. Will look into both products thanks =). It may have to wait until next month though, so if anyone gets any of the above items I'd love to hear reviews / thoughts =).

I can't really get on with cups either, but if you're looking for cloth pads, GladRags do some that seem really fab!

Lovehoney - Jess Wilde wrote:

Purring-Pussy wrote:

Have you tried looking online? (if you're still wanting to get on with a cup that is). It sounds like the menstural cup you've tried is just too big for you.

There are other brands online which do a vast array of sizes... I think one of them has like 16 sizes to choose from, or something like that!

Oooh, thanks for the reply. The one I've got only came in 2 sizes, so I got the small one. I shall have a mooch online.

Just an update everyone still haven't settled on reusable pad I'm just going to have to order about 4 different types and just see how it goes. I tried a cup this time with my normal sanitary pads in between use of the cup. It was going quite well until the cup got stuck my husband had to get it out for me then all that irritated my skin . Now I'm scared to use it again so basically I'm back to square 1!

I use a Meluna cup, have done for about 4 years. They come in a variety of sizes, style of stem and colours. I've got 2 different sizes and do alternate them depending on how things feel down there. I also double up on heavy days with a cloth pantyliner just in case. It did take 2 or 3 months to get the hang of it.

You may find that your dermatitis clears if you stop using disposable pads. There are an unbelievable amount of chemicals and bleaches used in disposables. Ditching them can help with menstrual pain too.

Good luck.

Just thought I'd add about cups that you can still have clean, penetrative sex while using it if the urge takes you. My OH claimed he couldn't even feel it.