Morning after pill help!

I've looked everywhere but my request is oddly specific so I need advice ASAP. I'm about to travel to my hometown in the USA and the planned parenthood has been completely shut down and I have no access to a pharmacy that would provide the morning after pill. Now, my partner and I are very careful (never had an accident!) but in the case that something does go wrong with our barrier contraception, I'd like to make sure I'm safe. I've had it before and know all the side effects. Super drug offers a an advance use Levonelle prescription but I have no idea how many I should buy just to be on the safe side. FYI I would NEVER use the morning after pill as a form of contraception long term but I don't know if it's worth buying 2 pills if the expiry date is short. How long do these last in the medicine cupboard??? Random question but it's a strange and frustrating position to be in.x

I think you should ask your pharmacist for advice on this when you go buy these.

Superdrug is a pharmacy in Britain that offers an online doctor service for this kind of medication, however, they don't offer a chat service to ask about expiry dates given that each batch is different. Plus, the whole point was to avoid having to go in and collect it as I don't have time before my trip. I was just asking here in case anyone else had bought it in advance or there were any pharmacists/doctors/nurses/medical professionals that could give me a general estimate.

Why can't you buy it at a pharmacy there if you need it? I bought it from Rite Aid when I was an idiot in the US. This might help you find a pharmacy where you can buy it: http://eclocator.not-2-late.com

Alternatively, go into the pharmacy in the airport, explain your situation and ask them to check the expiry date before you buy.

Oh sorry, I can't help you then. I study med but don't know about the expiration date of the morning after pilss. I think only a pharmacist would know this kind of info.

I know here we have a number to call, where you can ask nurses about health issues and they tell you what to do, if there is such a thing where you live maybe try this?

I live in the middle of nowhere and won't have access to a car while I'm there. The nearest pharmacy is about an hour away. Also, I live in the deep south making it somewhat more difficult to get access to the Plan B even if I could manage to catch a ride. Long story short, this was my best, comparatively cheapest, and judgement free/discrete option. I just wanted to know the general shelf life of this product.

Good advice with the airport. I might give that a go if all else fails. 

Just used that website Friday13, and apparently there's only 1 place 75.3 miles away from me and that's about to close due to funding issues. That is shocking even by southern standards. I'm actually getting a little mad right now!

Levonelle has a fairly average expiry usually, would imagine the pack should have around 6-12 months on it. :)

bex1213 wrote:

Just used that website Friday13, and apparently there's only 1 place 75.3 miles away from me and that's about to close due to funding issues. That is shocking even by southern standards. I'm actually getting a little mad right now!

I definitely don't think it puts all of them on (I checked where I was staying at the time and none of the pharmacies that I checked sold it were listed) but that's really bad!

I bought an EllaOne tablet on the 28th of June and the expiry is/was March 2018.

I would speak to someone in a pharmacy over here before you travel. It will take the stress out of any scenario at the airport (they may not have it in stock, they may not sell it to you) etc. Maybe even phone around a few different places? Not all charge for it, either.

I once couldn't get the morning after pill at a pharmacy because the pharmacist didn't believe in it due to religous beliefs and refused to sell it me. I don't think I have ever felt more embarrased or ashamed as that morning. There was a queue behind me, too. I then had to drive elsewhere to go and get it.

Going to be best to ask the pharmacy before you buy in regards to the expiry dates. To be honest if there is a chemist wherever you are going in the USA I would just buy them if needed

Oh and just remember USA can be a little funny especially with FDA!

I work in pharmacy. Most products will have 2 year expiration date.

Great. Thanks for the help everyone! I spent a lot of money to have it without 'needing' it, so to speak, but for me the price tag was totally worth the money for the peace of mind. I'm sorry about your experience sugarboobies. It's exactly what I was hoping to avoid!