multivitamins

hi i was just wondering if anyone knows of any multivitamins that are good and will help give me some energy ect as i'm constanly feeling tired and run down

thanx Fizzy

Hi,

I am currently on vitamins as due to stress I started to loose hair a bit, so we are trying to stop that. But they should not be taken lightly as they can harm you as well, if you take too much. Also the body cannot use them as easily as it can from food. So healty food is the way to go mainly I think.

I think try to relax and maybe go to bed at certain hour and sleep enough. I usually need only 6.5-7 hours of sleep and I wake up and go round without issues, but sometimes I need more or I feel like all energy was sucked out of me. Also stress makes you more tired, so try to relax and take your mind away from problems if you can.

May also be worth checking with doctor if its persistant and going on for too long. There may be a medical reasong for it.

Hiya Fizzy! You can do no better than get a good nights sleep, eat plenty of Fresh fruit+veg and a little exercise! No need for multivitamins then :)
SG

Thanx guys

i had a blood test yesterday as ive felt run down and seemed to catch everything going ive been off work for nearly a week and i thought i'd feel better but i still feel tired and run down i do eat quite healthy but i eat crap to i intend to start exercising again as well.

Dont know what your circumstacnes are Fizzy but some exercise in good for boosting energy and well being. If you dont currently exercise it will be difficult at first to get into a routine but after 2-3 weeks you will feel much much better.

I work out 3-4 times per week and even though i dont feel motivated beforehand, the satisfaction afterwards is worth it.

Good luck.

DD

Hi Fizzy, did the blood test show anything?

I've got iron deficiency anemia and feel really run down, really quickly if I eat crap/forget to take my iron pills.

Agree with all the advice so far about being healthier, but would just like to add if you do decide to take vits it's worth looking at the cheap supermarket own brand stuff, as anything your body doesn't use will just end up as expensive wee.

Do you drink alot of coffee?

Vitamin deficiency is rare in the UK because so many things are "added" to food and drink so in most cases I would argue taking vitamins is a waste of money. I haven't read all the literature so I'm not sure on whether there are any documented benefits of taking multivitamins to a "normal" healthy person but I do think it's unlikely there are very many.

As people have said, the best way to feel healthy is to eat a well balanced diet, good sleep and plenty of exercise (if health issues don't prevent these things).

Adx

MJ i wont have the results yet they did a full blood count ,thyroid and chemical tests i have to wait a couple of days for the results so fingers cross it wil be ok

I may sound stupid, but they add the vitamins into what food? Wondering how they do that.

I dont actually have direct multivitamines. its more like for hair and nails and skin and less vitamines and more minerals as I started to really suffer with falling hair out and my nails getting pretty weak and easy breaking. Dont ask how. I know I eat healthily, still I ended like this.

a lot of breakfast cereals are fortified with vitamins and trace minerals. Flour often has added folic acid and most margarines have similar fortification.

But agree if you eat a normal healthy diet there is no need for multivits

Erh. I see. I guess it may explain why I got bit low potentially. I hate margarines, stopped eating them over 7 years ago, rarely even use butter these days. Dont have cereals either, never was my thing, prefer bread with home made strawberry jam or honey instead. And I rarely drink bottle waters as well.

I also agree you should pester your doctor about your energy levels - lack of energy can be symptomatic of lots of things (though it seems unlikely to be vitamin deficiency if you're eating reasonably well) and you should get it checked out :) which it seems you're doing, make sure you don't let the doc brush you off if he can't figure it out (that happened to me once because I have chronic fatigue but doctors like to assume I'm too young to be sick).

Adx

I think that you cannot rule out milder vitamine/mineral deficiency. I do doubt you get many cases of really serious deficiences, but milder cases cannot be really ruled out even with reasonable eating. I remember a girl in my home country had osteoporosis when she was 19 years old and they told her she lacked calcium and vitamin D. And my mother is taking iron, because she was low after suffering some really strong menstruations and she started to have blood problems.

Laveila wrote:

I think that you cannot rule out milder vitamine/mineral deficiency. I do doubt you get many cases of really serious deficiences, but milder cases cannot be really ruled out even with reasonable eating. I remember a girl in my home country had osteoporosis when she was 19 years old and they told her she lacked calcium and vitamin D. And my mother is taking iron, because she was low after suffering some really strong menstruations and she started to have blood problems.

I did say in a normal healthy person healthy eating should be more than enough for vitamin deficiency to be quite unlikely. Osteoporosis is an underlying condition and isn't *usually* (though I believe it can be) caused by calcium or vit D deficiency despite these being used as treatments - it is usually a problem with the hormones involved in bone turnover and there being an inbalance.

Iron is a dietary mineral. Deficiency in iron is also often caused by an underlying condition and *not* a lack of it in the diet. Usually anaemia or a heavy loss of blood through menstruation or other conditions is the cause of a lack of iron and supplements can help treat the problem. According to the NHS "unless you are pregnant it is very rare for iron deficiency anaemia to be caused solely by a lack of iron in your diet".

So those two examples *are* underlying health conditions - I was careful to say iron deficiency is rare in "normal", healthy people and I still stand by that statement.

Adx

Although I'll still say - see your doctor about any energy changes because there are many potential causes and yes it could be something that taking multivits might help but it's unlikely and therefore a doctor is better able to figure out the best course of action.

Adx

Not meaning to be rude but if you've put on any weight or anything lately that can zapp your energy I know the fatter i get the more lathargic I get no matter what I eat

Interesting. I thought that hormones are only part of the osteoporosis problem and diet and mineral deficiency, meaning lack of calcium intake, just cause it as well, as the bones get more weaker and can break very easily. And the girl was only 19,so she was not going through menopause which could cause it, nor started/changed taking the pill.

And to be honest, sometimes just by reading what I should eat daily I feel like there is no way to keep ahead of all the vitamines and minerals I should have take every day. And considering how often my mouth corners just break open I think I do suffer a bit B2 defiency, regardless I eat about 3kg of fruits/veg a week - more veg than fruits.

Don't most vitamin supplements contain something like thousands of times the RDA of vitamins? I really don't see the point of that (besides £££) - most of the vitamins you swallow in the supplement are just going to be (literally) pissed away...

don't worry GS your not been rude i would love to lose a bit of wieght. i haven't put any great deal of wieght on latley. i,m going to kick start some better eating and exercise over the weekend and wiat for my test results.