New Baby!

Hey guys! Been away for a while but had a question I need some help with. My best friend is being induced tomorrow for her first ever baby and I'm so so so very excited (I'm going to be god-mum!)! She's not been very well during the pregnancy (she has lifelong illnesses that have been made worse by baby but she's always wanted children), and the birth is looking like it's going to be a tough one.

I've been invited to come down for the weekend to stay just after baby is born and I was wondering what would be most welcome to brand new parents in terms of gifts? Obviously I'll lend a hand with baby care when I can but is there anything new parents underestimate in terms of needs? Nappies, ready meals, baby wipes, etc? I want to bring something useful. She's saying they're all set but I think that's partly because she doesn't like to ask for favours.

Congratulations on being a God-Mum, and I hope all goes well for your friend. I think that lending a hand will be a godsend to her. Also maybe a pamper kit, with baby wipes, essentials and perhaps some nice moisturiser/shower/bath bits for her too - she is lucky to have someone like you :) xx

Don't necessarily lend a hand with baby, but do the "other" stuff like put the washing on, make dinner, run the Hoover etc. If mums expecting to have a tough birth then be there for her if she needs to debrief and just get it off her chest.

Hope it all goes well.

I'd make sure they have the essentials in at home e.g. Milk etc. I was recently in your situation and I don't think buying some baby essentials is a bad idea as they'll definitely come in handy. I also bought mum a gift set to help her relax.
Congratulations on becoming a god-mum. X

Agree withย Wight*goddess! Cooking! My friend cooked and portioned up meals for me. Best thing. Cooking and eating well is tough when you have a demanding new baby and are sleep deprived! Let alone any other post birth problems like stitches! I am sure she will find you a godsend with housework!

Definitely helping around the house. If she plans to breast feed buy some lanisol breast cream as it's very expensive but can be a God send (didn't need ot with my first but couldn't be without it with my second) and breast bads. Buy mum something she loves. Maybe her favourite chocolate or favourite soft drink?

I was just about to say exactly the same as browncoats, Lansinoh if she's breastfeeding! And a flask/waterbottle is really useful for when she's glued to the sofa nursing in the first few weeks!

While I think some of the essential will be a good idea to buy for the baby. Some gifts for mum would be good to even if it is just bubble bath/shampoo so she can have a relaxing bath. Be there to do little jobs when needed if she is busy with the baby. Don't forget a present for the dad too. Congratulations on becoming a god mum.

A friendship necklace, bangle? Get the baby one too?

Chocolates, flowers, a printing set ( where you print babys hand and foot prints ) or the moulding one of mum and babys hands..
A photo gift package vouchers to get some mum and baby pictures.

A new baby rose bush for the garden?

Ermmm.....

Google elephant baby pillows... ( these are a must! My baby loved it and is so handy for feeding. No dead arms )

Hi Bex congratulations on being a godmother. Your friend is lucky to have you.

I'm from abroad and when I had my only child (which happened to be induced too), I had a friend coming to stay with me for a few days and she's also my girl's godmother.

I tell you what that was the best thing in the world, because my hubby was working full time, I had no-one around and to make matters worse I end up having an emergency c-section, which meant a lot of trouble after with pain, moving, healing and this kind of thing.

To be really honest I couldn't care less about the things she brought to me and the baby, what really mattered was that she was there helping around the house, cooking (that was absolutely great!) and looking after the baby so I could have a nice shower or bath. Believe me - you being there is what she will treasure and remember. And you too in a few years when you look at the pictures and see how fast your godchild is growing up!

Eep, congratulations ! (On you being a Godmother, and to the actual mother of course).

In terms of gifts, I'd say you can't go wrong with sanitising stuff (my aunt almost went through an entire pack of baby-safe sanitising wipes in one day once ! They can be used on baby's bottom at changing time, on bottles/pacifiers that get dropped on the floor, and on most surfaces... I'd call them essential tbh).

Also, get a pack or two of nappies in 1 size bigger- they grow FAST and if everyone's buying newborn stuff they'll end up going to waste easier than you think.

As you're the godmother you might want to buy a keepsake (or a lockable keepsake box, or a baby's 1st year diary ?). Personally, I had a large Winnie The Pooh teddy bear given to me the day I was born. (He stayed by my side past toddler-hood, and even now I'm an adult, I still have him somewhere stored away. It's good for children to have something recognisable and comforting, especially for later on when baby has to start sleeping on their own !).

I'm sure you'll be a wonderful godmother, and don't worry about doing everything perfectly- any help you can give will be so welcomed in these early days. :)

exciting times!
Personally after having two c-section I found having vouchers handy for those things that I ran out of quickly or didn't know I needed like more big pants ๐Ÿ˜„ So maybe get her a mothercare voucher or for somewhere similar so she can get what she needs.
I like the idea of the photo package which someone else mentioned as photos in those first few months are priceless.
Being there to help around the house is golden for a new mum so she can spend time bonding with her baby.
Hope it all goes well for her x

Nappies and wipes are always handy, but I actually ended up with an oversupply of newborn nappies as so many people bought them and had to give 6 packs away when he got too big!

I agree, cooking and housework is the ultimate gift. My baby was in the SCBU for 3 weeks after birth, and I practically lived there with him (only coming home to sleep). I was so grateful when my mum and other family members brought home cooked meals to the hospital, so that I didn't have to live off of packet sandwiches! As a new mum I was very protective of my baby, so I didn't really want anybody else taking care of him, and with breastfeeding anyway he was attached to me 24/7 once we got home. I never had time to do anything else around the house, and I'm sure a lot of mums are the same.

I hope everything goes well for mum and baby ๐Ÿ˜Š

Definitly help around the house... Also shopping and help prepping meals. I know, especially after our 2nd, we would have really appreciated some cooked meals and help around the home,

Hope all goes well though. Xx

Thanks so much for all of the advice!

The difficulty, which I didn't mention, is that I also have to attend a conference while I'm there, so my time actually in the house is limited. Plus, I'm still a student so money is seriously tight.

The housework is definitely the winner I think so I'll just get straight on with that as soon as I arrive (I live very far away and don't drive so it's difficult to transport homecooked meals on a 5 hour train journey with a taxi on the other end) but I will do my utmost. She's having a christening later and I've got some good quality, more expensive 'keepsake' type things for that.

You've all been so helpful!

How's your friend getting on?

How's all going bex? Hope she's doing well.

I'm late to the discussion but I definitely agree with helping with the housework and of course plenty of tea and biscuits. Just having someone to talk to helps.