New toy smell

Dear god has anybody got any tips on how to get that new toy/packaging smell out of items?! Specifically a realistic dildo made from PVC.
I'm quite sensitive to smells as it is but this is knocking me sick! Please help 😷😞

Wrong forum, oops!

Best thing to do really is not buy cheap dildos made of materials like PVC/TPR/TPE/basically anything that's not 100% silicone. Silicone is the only "soft" toy material that is not porous and actually body safe.
Honestly I'd bin it or return it if from LH and invest in something better quality.
Read up on dodgy toy materials and sex you safety here: http://dangerouslilly.com/toxictoys/

Unfortunately I have never found anything that really helps with this, I have a similar toy which I have tried washing endlessly, I think the hot water brings the smell out more, To the point the whole bathroom stinks ![](upload://jokG3WtlbVccWAgGjeuPxY6tITM.gif)

The smell of PVC never really gets any better in my experience.

Nope, that's not a new toy smell that's just the smell! It'll likely fade with time but PVC smells like PVC which I agree, smells nauseating.

I would also opt for another toy, personally, as it's doubtful the smell is going to go :/

toy cleaner and washing will help get rid of new toy/pvc smell and it will fade over time

For god sake it wouldn't be sold if it wasn't safe to use.

And are you guys kidding me?! It smells awful 😭 I've washed it with toy cleaner twice and left it out to air dry. Partner doesn't think it smells too bad, I'm convinced he's nose blind.

VioletWolf wrote:

And are you guys kidding me?! It smells awful 😭 I've washed it with toy cleaner twice and left it out to air dry. Partner doesn't think it smells too bad, I'm convinced he's nose blind.

Actually, the sex toy industry isn't very well regulated. The same materials/chemicals some of these toys are made from/include, are banned from childrens toys for being unsafe, but because they're sold as 'novelty' adult items, they can get away with selling them.

The only truly body safe toys are made from glass, steel, silicone etc x

VioletWolf wrote:

Thats not really the case I'm afraid, I've bought plenty of things from here and then found the words for novelty use only or not suitable to be inserted on the fine print. They are not nessisarly unsafe on original use you're right, but over time they DO leach toxins, jelly dildos are also porous which means bacteria gets inside them and no amount of washing will make them clean again. I've seen porous toys go mouldy, melt, and all sorts of things. With pure silicone there no porosity and they can be boiled to sterilise them. Please dont take offence because we really are only making the effort of saying these things for the benefit of your health, and if you followed Spoonerisms link you'd see that for yourself. xx

As Spoonerism said. Fortunately there's enough realistic dildos made from silicone, and they don't all cost a fortune...

So when a toy sold by Lovehoney states it does not include phthalates, which is considered the harmful part (aside from the porous material), are you saying they are wrong? My head is absolutely banging here.

I personally would avoid anything that is made from PVC/Jelly etc and stick to silicone, metal and glass as I know I can clean it properly, aside from the fact that the smell makes me sick on the non silicone toys, I really don't trust them, if they are giving off a smell they have to be releasing something into the air to do so, therefore these chemicals could be released into your body, I'm not saying that they will harm you but I personally avoid them.

There is a great toy materials guide on a rivals website, I would post the link but it will get deleted, its a very large american sex shop that some people in here probably review for,

No, a toy doesn't have to contain phthalates to be considered unsafe. If you ever come into contact with a toy that has a "new car" smell, bin it. Chances are, that smell is phthalates. Bacteria lives and thrives in porous toys as they cannot be properly sanitized. If you do wish to use the toy, then I'd recommend using a condom over it, for the protection of your body.

I think the thing that I've found is that you get what you pay for. Some of the cheaper toys do smell.....and I'm with you on hating that ! I've found that washing them in shower gel and then toy cleaner can help but dosen't always. Also make sure you leave them in the fresh air when not in use, not in a sealed container or bag. I agree that a good quality silicone is probably better and won't smell but I have toys that were relatively cheap, not made of silicone and they're great fun and have never done me any harm. Plus I love some of them and once that smell has gone (it can take a month or so) I wouldn't want to change them xx

People use vegetables for sex for Christ sake ! I hasten to add that I don't but I don't imagine they're tested to be 'safe'......and cucumbers definitely smell !! Lol x

VioletWolf wrote:

It's lovely to think so, but nope. I had a massive reaction to a Doc Johnson's UR3 dildo before Xmas. I'd had it in my mouth to take pics for my absent OH and ended up with a full body rash, bumps that bled, and I had a really high temperature too. If that's gonna happen after 10 minutes in my gob, what's it doing when its in my vagina? I have no intention of ever finding out so I binned it.

As for the smell, it lingers forever in my expereince. I've had realistic feel toys that were still rank smelling nearly a year after purchase. From what I understand, the smell comes from gases leaching from the materials as they degrade, and they don't ever stop. Really, pure silicone toys are the way forward and like someone else said, they can be found pretty inexpensively too :-)

Alright, so I've read various articles now and they all say the same thing - phthalates are the potentially toxic part, and it's these that cause the rotten 'new car' smell. So tell me, what else makes PVC toys unsafe?

The fact that they're porous - you can NEVER clean them properly, no matter what you do. There could be mould spores and all sorts living in the surface of a used toy. Phthalates are bad, but just because a toy doesn't have them, doesn't mean it's ok

This thread has taken off, It is an interesting topic, I dont think I would go as far as to get rid off all PVC toys (at least new ones) but would make me perhaps think more about what I buy in the future.

I've got a couple of new dills, and yes I can't shift that smell..god I hate it haha

Right so the porous aspect has already been covered by myself (I've read it over and over) and Nat, so I know that, and although they may not get a deep clean or be able to be sterilised, I would certainly hope that basic toy hygiene was employed in accordance with common sense. So other than those? Or is it just those two things? And along with what Terri said, I'm sure people have used worse.

I will admit that I have certainly been educated after reading various articles. So I agree with CH, it has made me think about what I may buy in future.

Ozz it's absolutely done me in, headache is only just clearing now. I'm such a pansy 😅