smelly toys!

any tips on making my new dildo stop whiffing? its smelling out my room haha, would like to avoid awkward questions about mysterious rubbery smells!

Fabrize? ;)

we havent got any haha

would that even be safe to use? :P

brockleyfox wrote:

Fabrize? ;)

lol...... definatly DONT use Fabrize (though I know or guess your only joking)

Most toys smelll because of the materials they are made out of and you cant change that. You can lessen the smell maybe by washing them, if they are waterproof.

ooh ive just found this and thought it was really helpful! worth putting on here!

and mine is rubber so now i know its gunna smell all the time :O

RUBBER - these are the cheaper of most of the available toys and by far the smelliest, because of the make up of them there is no way to get rid of the smell, no matter what you try to use on them, and i would defiantly not recommend bleach, or even soaps, all of these contribute to the decomposition of the rubber leading to more smells. Rubber also is the least hygienic allowing smells and bacteria to permeate the surface, and you never being able to get them truly clean.

Latex - These are slightly better but again depending on the price bracket/ quality these too can have bad odour. Latex also has a high allergic reaction rate ( as it is cheaper than the latex used in condoms) which may be why you have an uncomfortable feeling.

Silicone- is the best way to go in all sex toys, if you can buy German made "fun factory" they have quite high standards, and are great toys but they do come at a price.
Medical grade silicone is used in most German made higher priced toys. These are virtually odourless and do not absorb odours or bacteria and are anti allergenic, making them FAR safer than almost all other toys. Not to mention being a great feel.

Glass- the cleanest of all, easily sterilized- cleaned. Dishwasher safe, just dont drop them, boil them or put them in the freezer ( ouch freezer burn) cool only using ice water of in the fridge.

It comes down to personal preference you need to buy a good toys cleaner such as "clean vibe" if you are in Australia.. they contain ingredients safe for all toys.. they clean and sanitize in one.

Also something to remember is to never store rubber with silicone, or latex etc, the different compounds in these different materials will react to each other and lessen each's quality.

Never dry your toys, the fluff etc from towels stick and harbor bacteria, the safest is to allow to air dry.

May i suggest an air tight box on top of the cleaning tips.

FistingLover, that was really informative! I never knew you shouldn't dry rubber toys with a towel, I'll try and let them air-dry from now on. (A bit difficult when you still live with your parents!) Just given my first rubber and realistic toy a go, it was fabulous! There should be a review up in a couple of days! xx

HappilyExperimenting wrote:

FistingLover, that was really informative! I never knew you shouldn't dry rubber toys with a towel, I'll try and let them air-dry from now on. (A bit difficult when you still live with your parents!) Just given my first rubber and realistic toy a go, it was fabulous! There should be a review up in a couple of days! xx

i know hahah same here, im going to have to hide them under my bed to dry!

The smell comes from a process known as degassing, where the volatile compounds contained within and produced by the material are released. There are health concerns around some of these chemicals (google phthalates), but this also causes the structure to lose mass and degrade over time. We used to have a few rubber and jelly toys, but they were all chucked after a year or two (through nasty staining, damage or the dreaded "ring of fire" effect), but not had to throw a single silicone, glass or metal toy, so work out cheaper over time.

Pretty good guide from @fistinglover69, interested by this buy German thing, it is true that there are a couple of good German dildo manufacturers, but there are plenty of seeming to us equally good manufacturers in the UK, US and elsewhere too.

Alex.

fistinglover69 wrote:

ooh ive just found this and thought it was really helpful! worth putting on here!

RUBBER - these are the cheaper of most of the available toys and by far the smelliest, because of the make up of them there is no way to get rid of the smell, no matter what you try to use on them, and i would defiantly not recommend bleach, or even soaps, all of these contribute to the decomposition of the rubber leading to more smells. Rubber also is the least hygienic allowing smells and bacteria to permeate the surface, and you never being able to get them truly clean.

Latex - These are slightly better but again depending on the price bracket/ quality these too can have bad odour. Latex also has a high allergic reaction rate ( as it is cheaper than the latex used in condoms) which may be why you have an uncomfortable feeling.

Silicone- is the best way to go in all sex toys, if you can buy German made "fun factory" they have quite high standards, and are great toys but they do come at a price.
Medical grade silicone is used in most German made higher priced toys. These are virtually odourless and do not absorb odours or bacteria and are anti allergenic, making them FAR safer than almost all other toys. Not to mention being a great feel.

Glass- the cleanest of all, easily sterilized- cleaned. Dishwasher safe, just dont drop them, boil them or put them in the freezer ( ouch freezer burn) cool only using ice water of in the fridge.

It comes down to personal preference you need to buy a good toys cleaner such as "clean vibe" if you are in Australia.. they contain ingredients safe for all toys.. they clean and sanitize in one.

Also something to remember is to never store rubber with silicone, or latex etc, the different compounds in these different materials will react to each other and lessen each's quality.

Never dry your toys, the fluff etc from towels stick and harbor bacteria, the safest is to allow to air dry.

Guess what... we've got a guide for that!

Sex Toy Materials - Which is Right for You?

OK, OK, so we don't give tops on how to stop your toys smelling, but we include much of the same info (and more) as the info you've also helpfully pasted

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

fistinglover69 wrote:

Guess what... we've got a guide for that!

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex-toys/buyers-guide/sex-toy-materials-phthalates-rubber-silicone/

OK, OK, so we don't give tops on how to stop your toys smelling, but we include much of the same info (and more) as the info you've also helpfully pasted

awww thankyou haha, youre very helpful!

My wife frowns upon few of my toys because of the smell.

example The Great American Challenge, it stinks up the whole apartment.

Funfactory is made of a elastomed

I used to have toys which were smelly but I chucked them, now I only use skin safe materials.

Recieved the Lovehoney bionic bullet vibrating butt plug yesterday and it has a strong rubbery smell to it. Is this normal? Its supposed to be silicone, which is supposed to be odorless.

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=20752

LovelyLemons wrote:

Recieved the Lovehoney bionic bullet vibrating butt plug yesterday and it has a strong rubbery smell to it. Is this normal? Its supposed to be silicone, which is supposed to be odorless.

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=20752

Silicone can smell depending upon the "grade". I'd Leave it out of the packaging for a while see if it dissipates.

I've left it out since yesterday and washed it a few times and the smell is still there. Will see over the next few days, in the meantime I contacted customer service.

I use LH's sex toy cleaner. Give it a few spritz with that and rinse it thoroughly

I dont have any sextoy cleaner on hand, should get some though. I was so excited to try the toy right away but I'm a bit worried about the smell.

The smell shouldn't affect your enjoyment

SS is right. The smell doesn't really affect it (: