Nexus 4 v Xperia Z

Hi all! I need to get a new phone and have narrowed it down to the Nexus 4 and the Xperia Z.

I think that they are both on par with each other so it's making it hard to choose.

My brother is telling me to get the Xperia but my brother-in-law says Nexus.

Has anyone got either phone? What do you think is best?

Everyone's opinions greatfully received!

Thanks.

Hello,

I have Xperia Go, which is different from the Z mainly by being cheaper and having some lesser parameters.

My main reason for selecting this phone was fact that it is waterproof and dust proof and should survive more than what most smartphones do. But having said this, I do put my phone through situations most people dont and being in rain is one of them. Xperia Z should also be water and dust proof. But with better parameters, such as better screen resolution, more ram, more storage memory, better camera etc.

I would say it is up to you what you want from your phone, what you can deal with (eg. lot of people said they could never have Xperia Go for low screen resolution, but I dont have any problem with it and its not affecting my daily use of the phone), etc. And how much you are willing to pay.

Hmm. Techradar summed up the Experia Z as the best Experia released that will be massive competition for the HTC One and Galaxy S4. The Experia Z is also dust and water proof (techradar dropped it in a sink of water and it still worked)

I work with phones. My choice would be xperia z, it has all the features due to the android system. Whilst its a but square looking with where the button is, you won't notice it, my other half has this phone and I wish it was mine lol. There is also the issue of the phone waterproof, when they demonstrated it, they out it in a fish tank as they do on here. After several demonstrations it still worked plus it can be thrown around a bit

Nexus, not a massive fan and its not one we get much interest in if I'm honest. Not a bit lg fan, they do the 4 rather than Samsung who use to do nexus phones. I just don't think the build is as good. Saying that I have an lg tv which I wouldn't change

Most phones, except iPhones are sim free anyway nowadays ESP if you don't buy from a network

Wait till next month and get the Galaxy S4, nuff said

I have a Nexus 4 and I absolutely love it. Haven't got any experience with the Xperia so can't really say anything about that. On paper they both are fantastically spec'd.

I use to use an HTC Sensation but after a while wanted to upgrade to something a little bigger and a little faster. After much research I decided to opt for the Nexus. I did worry about the quild quality, I wasn't familiar with LG devices and this one is essectially an iPhone4 on the outside. Glass front and black, however, this is toughened Gorilla Glass on the Nexus, and if it was anything like the glass on my HTC (which is also Gorilla Glass) is extremely strong and fairly dificult to scratch. Saying that, I slapped a screen protector and a bumper case on my Nexus as soon as I got it.

Looks wise, I think the Nexus blows the Xperia out of the water. I love how clean the front of it looks, no branding, no logos, just pure and simple.

Don't let the fact it's an LG put you off, like I had originally thought. This thing is as smooth as butter. Been using it for a few months now and is still as fast and as snappy as it was straight out of the box. I have rooted my Nexus though, something I recommend every Android user to do. If you're somewhat of a nerd and feel confident in your noddling skills, root it, flash a custom rom. There are so many different customization options and other tweaks you can do to it compared to running on the stock rom.

I just love my Nexus, simple as. Plus they're both similarly spec'd, but the Nexus is way cheaper than the Xperia if you get it SIM free. Ordered mine from Goolgle, arrived within 5 days.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I've spent many, many hours going over the spec and reviews for the Nexus and Experia and have decided to go for the Experia. The price has had a big factor and I've found the perfect contract. Being completely water resistant is good aswell because I do a lot of canoeing.

TTurtle wrote:

I was think of getting the S4 but I ruled it out as I need a new phone by end of next week.

I got the SII just before the SIII came out (didn't realise it was coming out doh!) - got this after having the Iphone 3GS.

Couldn't wait to get rid of the iphone fast enough however, I just can't wait for my contract to run out as I am going back to the iphone.

Don't know if it is just my phone but it is absolutely crap at connecting to the internet and most times doesn't load (where as my daughter's 4S on PAYG connects no problem)

I won't even bother looking at the SIIII.

I will have a look at both phones mentioned here though just to see.........roll on November!

TTurtle wrote:

Roll on Aug : P

My oh was the experia an hasnt complained about it does seem to get loads of dust sitting on top of it tho an the water thing is true hes dunked his in the bath an still perfectly fine however it is only water resistant as long as all the little cap thing are all in the holes which is pretty obvious but thought id point it out lol

S4 would be with you by next Friday if you can last?