Noise review

I recently submitted a review about a vibe that was advertised as "whisper quiet", now imo i included in my review that it was quite loud, in fact very loud when used in the bath.

I see the next person who reviewed the same item gave it full marks for quietness and commented how nearly silent it was.

now anyone thinking of buying it would look at both reviews and either think one of us was lying, or that the noise review element was misleading and doesnt help at all in their decision.

Is there a way LH could maybe test each item for noise and give it an unofficial noise rating? So im thinking if you rated a bullet as a 5, and someone bought it and decided that that was their absolute top volume they could go for, then they would know to avoid vibrators that had been rated as a 7 or 8? Maybe if LH gave each toy a volume rating then it would give a better idea of how loud toys are compared to each other. I know we rate it, but my loud is a lot different to the next persons idea of loud and so on.

It sounds daft but everyones idea of what is loud and what isnt varies so much that its hard to really get across how loud a toy is, unless you can directly compare it to another, but then that relies on the buyer having to have the other toy too so they know what to expect.

You can see pretty much anything from the description so you know the size, the shape etc but the noise is something thats subjective. Even a video demo can be turned up or down.

Sounds like a great idea. They'd just have to test how many decibels each one is when it comes in.

This is such a lovely idea and I wish we could do it!

We actually have a decibel meter that we use as a guide as part of our new product development process, but it can't really be a reliable measure. So much depends on background noise, where exactly the toy is positioned, where exactly the meter is positioned - too many variables, sadly, for us to create a scale that would be fit for the wider public.

As a side note too, so many things seem easy to do - but actually require a lot of tech intervention - and then having to go through and apply retrospectively to the 6000+ products that we stock. A big project has been re-photographing a lot of things, and there are still some old corkers lurking around!

p.s. I'd be keen to know what the product was in this instance!

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

We actually have a decibel meter that we use as a guide as part of our new product development process, but it can't really be a reliable measure. So much depends on background noise, where exactly the toy is positioned, where exactly the meter is positioned - too many variables, sadly, for us to create a scale that would be fit for the wider public.

As a side note too, so many things seem easy to do - but actually require a lot of tech intervention - and then having to go through and apply retrospectively to the 6000+ products that we stock. A big project has been re-photographing a lot of things, and there are still some old corkers lurking around!

Thanks for the reply! I understand its probably a lot more complex than it seems.

It was the greedy girl vibe. For me noise isnt an issue so i dont mind but for my review i was honest that it was quite loud. It was by no means on par with a wand for noise, but nor did i think it was whisper quiet!

As a waterproof toy its designed to be used in the bath, and when i did my husband noted how loud it was downstairs, as he could hear it through the ceiling and it sounded very distinctive and he could hear each buzz even though it was inside me!

Im just thinking looking at the reviews with mine being the opposite to the next persons on the sound aspect it looks a little off that one person gave a high rating for noise and one gave a low rating!

JM88 wrote:

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I understand its probably a lot more complex than it seems.

It was the greedy girl vibe. For me noise isnt an issue so i dont mind but for my review i was honest that it was quite loud. It was by no means on par with a wand for noise, but nor did i think it was whisper quiet!

As a waterproof toy its designed to be used in the bath, and when i did my husband noted how loud it was downstairs, as he could hear it through the ceiling and it sounded very distinctive and he could hear each buzz even though it was inside me!

See, there's an eventuality we hadn't even thought of - testing the sound of a toy used in a bathtub full of water! :D

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

JM88 wrote:

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

See, there's an eventuality we hadn't even thought of - testing the sound of a toy used in a bathtub full of water! :D

I like the really strong pattern where it goes bzzz bzzz bzzz or the one building up like bzzzzZZZ bzzzzZZZ so i got my husband to hold in underwater with his hand round the shaft while i went downstairs and its very distinctive that theres a vibe being used!

Now when i use it i have to make sure that the doors locked so no family members pop round unexpectedly, or if hubbys home he has to shout up if someone comes through the gate!

Noise is a fact of physics, this is true, and you can measure it in a scientific way ( more or less ), but, and this is the problem, it's also a fact of perception.

Obviously your perception varies according with the environment loudness, but also from different emotional conditions. If you are worried to be heard and you are in a perfectly silent place you can feel a mosquito or a clock like a thunder, in other hand if you live in a busy street or you have the washing machine on in the other room, so your toy is not very louder than background noise, and you are not ashamed to be heard, you can consider it as extremely quiet.

For experience I can say that regular moans, that no one would consider loud, are proportionally very louder than vibrators!

GodsInAnAlcove wrote:

Noise is a fact of physics, this is true, and you can measure it in a scientific way ( more or less ), but, and this is the problem, it's also a fact of perception.

Obviously your perception varies according with the environment loudness, but also from different emotional conditions. If you are worried to be heard and you are in a perfectly silent place you can feel a mosquito or a clock like a thunder, in other hand if you live in a busy street or you have the washing machine on in the other room, so your toy is not very louder than background noise, and you are not ashamed to be heard, you can consider it as extremely quiet.

For experience I can say that regular moans, that no one would consider loud, are proportionally very louder than vibrators!

It's so true!

:D

Here's one of my favourite sex toy jokes...

What's the most sensitive part of your body when you use a vibrator? Your ears!

Ha! Love that! I have that vibe too and it is quite quiet, but then I never have time for a bath that's not full of kids so I haven't tried it in the bath. Sound does travel very well in water though!!

Noise can differ with each person, what i may think is not 100% quiet, another person may think it is. It is perception

I have te silencer vibe, you speak of, and my partner thins its much louder than I do. Mind you I have had toys that may as well be *kick started* like your lawn mower. (none of which I purchased from LH!) So the silencer vibe in coparison is VERY quiet LOL

You could have a rating system

from (dont wake the kids) to (the neighbours will here this) & (the whole street will hear this) Only kidding !