November is Movember - Prostate Cancer Awareness

November is Movember, and LoveHoney are participating. Is anyone else out there taking part? In the UK Movember raises money for The Prostate Cancer Charity, and men throughout the country will be clean shaven today in preparation for moustache growing through the month of November to raise awareness.

I have the Prostate Cancer Charity leaflet in front of me, which says:

"1 in 10 men will get prostate cancer, and it is the most common cancer in men.

Only men can get prostate cancer and there are some things that can increase your risk of developing it.

• Age: almost all prostate cancer cases are diagnosed in men aged 50 or over (it can affect younger men, but this is rare)
  • Family: you are 2.5 times more likely to develop prostate cancer if your father or brother has had it
  • Ethnicity: African Caribbean men are 3 times more likely to develop prostate cancer than white men the same age.

Prostate cancer can develop when cells in your prostate start to multiply in an uncontrolled way. It usually grows slowly and may not cause any problems but in some cases it can grown more quickly and will need treatment to stop it growing.

It is most common in men over the age of 50, Early prostate cancer may cause no symptoms at all but some men may experience similar urinary symptoms to an enlarged prostate.

If you notice any unusual symptoms or changes in your urinary habits, visit your GP. The symptoms could be caused by other common conditions, such as a urine infection or bladder problem."

My workplace did Movember last year, but I missed it as I was on leave with my baby being born early. Was going to join in this time, but they aren't doing it...

Great to raise awareness. Considering it's such a big problem it's often over looked.

Not long had mine checked out. Had a terrible ache in that area which started to travel down my right leg upto and not going past my knee! Turned out to be a trapped nerve in my back!

I'm having physio for it at the moment.

Worrying at the time though. The mind gets carried away with itself as you get older I've found.

SG

I linked this campaign in another thread last night but noone clicked on it!

I think it's great - I've heard that every man *will* get prostate cancer, if something else doesn't kill them before they get to that stage. V. common disease!

Older men should get checked out regularly to keep on top of it!

Adx

Have you spotted our clean shaven Movember blog post?

Anyone can get involved - tc you can always play along with us!

It's a fantastic cause and a great light hearted way to raise money for it, 2 of my mates did it last year culminating in an amazing handlebar and another Dali-esque twirly thing!

There is 8 of my friends doing it this year plus some of their workmates so I'm sure between them they can get to £1000 for such a needy cause.

Love the brave lady who has joined in, can't wait to see some updates and their final creations! Do you have a just giving page set up?

x

My face doesn't really do hair....

Last year Burtons had some great products on sale with proceeds going to the campaign, fun underpants and stuff.Dont know if they are doing this year but it might be worth checking it out!

Hi I got diagnose last year trying to get my head around what the future holds for me

Weed69 wrote:

Hi I got diagnose last year trying to get my head around what the future holds for me

I sincerely hope you get cured and have a long, healthy and happy life, My love xx

Weed69 wrote:

Sorry to hear this.

Have you spoken to your treatment team about any concerns that you have and how the cancer is going to be approached from a medical perspective?

It may be worth looking into some counseling sessions. Talking about it could be beneficial to you. Being diagnosed with an illness can be a scary time and just having that support could make you feel tons more at ease with the situation.

After my boss told me recently he has been diagnosed, Mrs Sen had me booked at the docs with a list of checkup items to go through, incl prostate. Quick check, but all clear.

The Doc was saying though that it is inevitable that men will get prostate cancer if they live long enough. Obviously that age is different for different men, but not something I was aware of.

All the best weed69