Oral Sex and HPV

Did anyone else see the TV program entitled "Is Oral Sex Safe" last night which covered the subject of HPV which can be transmitted through, amongst other forms of sex, oral sex?. Apparantly it can cause throat cancer, I've never even heard of it before and go down on my OH quite often. Not spreading panic as I believe the risks are pretty minimal but just interested to see if others have heard of it.

Best regards

M4S

Bump, has anyone heard of this?.

Regards

M4S

Hi M4S - yep, I think this documentary was first aired last year. It's definitely something that doesn't seem to have a lot of awareness.

Hi,

Thanks Alice, it was quite an interesting program, I think it does some good to spead awarness of such things.

Kind regards

M4S

I am aware of it, but actually there is about the same or even less chance to get the throat cancer compared to the cervical version. Considering absolute majority of population meets HPV at least once in their life, it is basically a very common infection which in rare cases turns into something more serious.

I would mainly worry if you have higher chances of cancer, eg. previous cancer in close family, worse imunity etc. But yes, it is something people should be aware of just to get themselves checked in time if something goes amis. Also throat cancer can be caused apparently by drinking too hot liquids too often. And likely by few other causes.

I am wondering if it is possible to distinguish what caused it.

I am taking this seriously, do not doubt that

Hiya

I saw this program too and was amazed that you could get such a thing, which as a nurse is very naive of me! Since seeing it I have tried to find out more info about it, as I love oral sex and wasn't aware I was putting myself at risk. Not much info about though really, not out there in the health clinics anyway.

Unfortunately not all dangerous HPV are covered in the vaccination, so I would not take that for granted there will be no issue. also not all girls are vaccinated, at least in my country this is still optional and considering the vaccination costs, not all interested can even afford it. And with the migration inside European countries...

this is safe ... believe me

Not that I'm dismissing the dangers of STI's, but when it comes to things that cause cancer, HPV is just one of sooooo many things we're warned about, that I've just come to the conclusion that living in the 21st century can cause cancer. I'll either get it or I won't, and I'm not gonna let it stop me going down on my gf.