Pet Peeves

MissFortune wrote:

HappyCouple wrote:

Foreign people messing up: borrow and lend

"Can you borrow me a pan?" External Media

On a similar note, when people ask to 'borrow' something, when by 'borrow' they clearly mean 'have'.

Like when one of my flatmates asks if she can 'borrow' a tampon. Er, no, I won't be wanting it back afterwards. External Media

Other pet peeves:
Being spoken to in the imperative (or being addressed condescendingly by my first name to often)

Scum playing music on buses or from car windows
People who ask "Where did you last have it?" if I've lost something. If I knew that answer it wouldn't be lost...

I know there are lots more... give me time...

xx

I don't mind people asking to borrow things because it's viewed as more polite which is fair enough.

As for the one I've bolded - I really can't stand people who call me "woman" but I don't mind being called "madam" (happens much more than you'd think - it's somewhat of a nickname these days but then I'm posh and spoilt :P (I'm nice really). Generally if people are jokingly talking down to me, or I'm playing up to it then I don't mind it but if people genuinely mean it then I can't stand it because it's usually because I'm blonde and little that people assume I'm thick!

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

I don't like when people over-exaggerate (hence me avoiding using the word hate in almost all cases) and when Simon Cowell (and only him) says "1000% yes" I get very mad - smug git should at least speak correctly when he thinks he's better than everyone!

I really dislike the use of "literally" as an exaggeration!

Adxx

Because you never over-exaggerate do you lovely?External Media

I do REALLY fucking hate the literally one though, it seems fairly recent and now we have no fucking way of being fucking literal about statse of fucking affairs. Why do it? The very word excludes it's use when not in a literal sense.

This thread may just cause the geeks to rebel...

I also dislike people not closing brackets properly...but it's clearly, easily done

My excuse is I proofread less on forums and informal chat!

Adx

Johnny Roach wrote:

niftyb wrote:

misuse of your/you're or their/they're/there.

*quietly boils over with rage just thinking about it*

Their easy to use, I have no idea what your talking about!

Sorry, couldn't help myself External Media

I get really annoyed when people sneeze or cough without covering their mouth. Or chew with their mouth open

you. you just made ....the list.

External Media

Alicia D'amore wrote:

I really dislike the use of "literally" as an exaggeration!

Adxx

That made me chuckle, my mate says it all the time. "Mate, literally...." is his thing. Every now and again my other friends and I drop it into conversation with him and see if he notices

niftyb wrote:

Johnny Roach wrote:

niftyb wrote:

misuse of your/you're or their/they're/there.

*quietly boils over with rage just thinking about it*

Their easy to use, I have no idea what your talking about!

Sorry, couldn't help myself External Media

I get really annoyed when people sneeze or cough without covering their mouth. Or chew with their mouth open

External Media

Haha. Technically it wasn't misuse though, as it was correctly used in that context External Media

People who sit in the middle lane of the motorway drives me nut's.

P.S I'm a new member and this is my 3rd post tonight, hope i'm not being too much, but i am enjoying this.

Happy New Year to all!

scwhartz wrote:

P.S I'm a new member and this is my 3rd post tonight, hope i'm not being too much, but i am enjoying this.

Happy New Year to all!

That drives me mad too. And people who don't signal when turning, especailly on roundabouts. I get very angry. And welcome to the forum :)

scwhartz wrote:

Happy New Year to all!

...THE LIST!!! External Media

lol, johnny roach - your "correctly used in that context" comment nearly made my brain explode it was so confusing...!

scwhartz wrote:

Happy New Year to all!

Hello and welcome to the forums! Glad you're enjoying it here and getting stuck in! 3 posts in one night is certainly not too much (I've made 3 in a row in this thread and I'm not even supposed to be here at the minute due to looming exams!).

See you around :)

Adxx

niftyb wrote:

scwhartz wrote:

Happy New Year to all!

Remember to put a jokey smiley so as not to scare the newbie External Media

Adxx

niftyb wrote:

scwhartz wrote:

Happy New Year to all!

lol, johnny roach - your "correctly used in that context" comment nearly made my brain explode it was so confusing...!

External Media I shall stop now.

Oh, and I hope revision is going well Alicia.

niftyb wrote:

External Media

If it's not too much trouble, can you send me a copy of that list when you're done?

I want to cross-reference against mine.... External Media

(^___^)/ *jokey AND wavey smiley*

welcome to the forum! heheh... i'm pretty new myself and i think this is about my millionth post in the last 2 mins, so no need for you to worry!! ^___^

also i'ma joking - there is no list....

*shifty eyes @JR*

<-- my personal favourite. it's meant to look disappointed, apparently... i think it looks more like a crazed stare...

Thanks for the welcome all, and good luck with your exam's Ad.

niftyb wrote:

welcome to the forum! heheh... i'm pretty new myself and i think this is about my millionth post in the last 2 mins, so no need for you to worry!! ^___^

*shifty eyes @JR*

External Media <-- my personal favourite. it's meant to look disappointed, apparently... i think it looks more like a crazed stare...

Jip! I'll crazy-eyed stare you right back!

External Media

niftyb wrote:

*shifty eyes @JR*

External Media <-- my personal favourite. it's meant to look disappointed, apparently... i think it looks more like a crazed stare...

Failing to capitalise correctly...list? External Media

I take that smiley to be "serious" External Media. My favourite is the "nodding" smiley I have on my msn! *nods* (that's the shortcut for it and I accidently type it all the time here)

Thanks for the good luck wishes guys!

I also get wound up by people who have non-sensical pet peeves External Media like people who dislike "can you enter your pin number for me please" and people who dislike "take care"...it's annoying because I'm a waitress and positive, friendly phrases are useful and I don't care if they're wrong, it's polite and it makes people feel valued! I feel really self concious when I say "take care" now!

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

niftyb wrote:

*shifty eyes @JR*

Failing to capitalise correctly...list? External Media

I take that smiley to be "serious" External Media. My favourite is the "nodding" smiley I have on my msn! *nods* (that's the shortcut for it and I accidently type it all the time here)

Thanks for the good luck wishes guys!

I also get wound up by people who have non-sensical pet peeves External Media like people who dislike "can you enter your pin number for me please" and people who dislike "take care"...it's annoying because I'm a waitress and positive, friendly phrases are useful and I don't care if they're wrong, it's polite and it makes people feel valued! I feel really self concious when I say "take care" now!

Adx

I like friendly waiters/waitresses. Little things like your server saying "take care" when you leave can make all the difference to me. It makes my dining experience that little bit more enjoyable then I'm more likely to return. So long as the food matches the friendly service

HAHAHA touche, ad, touche... i'm afraid proper capitalisation has just never been one of those things i bother with :/ it's weird 'cause i'm quite the grammar nazi otherwise (having worked as an english teacher over in japan...so i totally empathise with the whole borrow/lend people!! hehe)