Pet Peeves

Hi,

I was wondering..... What are your pet peeves? (pet hates / dislikes)

I hate it when people scratch their folks on their teeth when eating (accidentally).

Please share :-)

Sean

Too many to list.... Seriously. If I get started I may be here forever.

Scratch their parents on their teeth? Can you get jailed for that?

lol....sorry I meant forks

as in cutlery

WandA wrote:

Scratch their parents on their teeth? Can you get jailed for that?

That gave me a hilarious image

I have a pet peeve...

Foreign people messing up: borrow and lend

"Can you borrow me a pan?"

I live in a house with 5 different nationalities and every so often they manage to come out with it.

Constantly sniffing when you have a cold. THAT'S WHAT TISSUES ARE FOR!!!!!!!!

HappyCouple wrote:

I have a pet peeve...

"Can you borrow me a pan?" External Media

I live in a house with 5 different nationalities and every so often they manage to come out with it.

Racist.External Media What about Brits doing it.External Media

WandA wrote:

HappyCouple wrote:

I have a pet peeve...

Racist.External Media What about Brits doing it.External Media

They get more than a correction... They get kicked and told to go back to primary school :P

naughtyboy wrote:

Constantly sniffing when you have a cold. THAT'S WHAT TISSUES ARE FOR!!!!!!!!

oooh! Bad memories!!!

I was working in a silent, empty room then this guy came and sat literally 2m behind me and kept sniffing every 8 seconds. The class room could easily have fit 50 people and yet he sat right behind me and sniffed constantly :-|. After 10 minutes I asked him to blow his nose, he did not, 5 minutes later he left (i was about to go and find a toilet roll to throw at him).

I have the makings of a grammar nazi. I'm not overly fussy, but there are certain things that wind me up. Incorrect spellings on signs in shops and other businesses annoy me, it looks so unprofessional, ESPECIALLY when it's a computer-made sign and all they had to do was spell check. Apostrophes are my biggest pet peeve. It really bothers me when people put apostrophes in words where they're not needed. If in doubt, leave it out.

Ecksvie wrote:

I have the makings of a grammar nazi. I'm not overly fussy, but there are certain things that wind me up. Incorrect spellings on signs in shops and other businesses annoy me, it looks so unprofessional, ESPECIALLY when it's a computer-made sign and all they had to do was spell check. Apostrophes are my biggest pet peeve. It really bothers me when people put apostrophes in words where they're not needed. If in doubt, leave it out.

I assume you proof read your post?External Media

I dont proofread my posts as such, but if it's longer than a sentence or two I'll read whatever I've already written while thinking what to write next.

I'm aware Nazi was meant to have a capital N, although when you wrote that I did reread it and then copy it into Word to spell check, just to make sure I hadn't made a highly obvious and embarrassing error.

Ecksvie wrote:

I dont proofread my posts as such, but if it's longer than a sentence or two I'll read whatever I've already written while thinking what to write next.

I'm aware Nazi was meant to have a capital N, although when you wrote that I did reread it and then copy it into Word to spell check, just to make sure I hadn't made a highly obvious and embarrassing error. External Media

liar, liar g-string on fire! External Media

HappyCouple wrote:

On a similar note, when people ask to 'borrow' something, when by 'borrow' they clearly mean 'have'.

Like when one of my flatmates asks if she can 'borrow' a tampon. Er, no, I won't be wanting it back afterwards. External Media

Other pet peeves:
Being spoken to in the imperative (or being addressed condescendingly by my first name to often)
Scum playing music on buses or from car windows
People who ask "Where did you last have it?" if I've lost something. If I knew that answer it wouldn't be lost...

I know there are lots more... give me time...

xx

misuse of your/you're or their/they're/there.

*quietly boils over with rage just thinking about it*

Ecksvie wrote:

I'm aware Nazi was meant to have a capital N, although when you wrote that I did reread it and then copy it into Word to spell check, just to make sure I hadn't made a highly obvious and embarrassing error. External Media

If I'm honest I didn't look for mistakes, I just wanted you to triple check.External Media

MissFortune wrote:

Other pet peeves:
Being spoken to in the imperative (or being addressed condescendingly by my first name to often)
Scum playing music on buses or from car windows
People who ask "Where did you last have it?" if I've lost something. If I knew that answer it wouldn't be lost...

I know there are lots more... give me time...

xx

What about if they say please with a cherry on top?External Media

niftyb wrote:

Their easy to use, I have no idea what your talking about!

Sorry, couldn't help myself External Media

I get really annoyed when people sneeze or cough without covering their mouth. Or chew with their mouth open

Johnny Roach wrote:

niftyb wrote:

Their easy to use, I have no idea what your talking about!

Sorry, couldn't help myself External Media

I get really annoyed when people sneeze or cough without covering their mouth. Or chew with their mouth open

Coughing/sneezing over food... then seeing people go and actually eat it! Does also make you wonder what people have done to your food before it reaches you... 'eww'

HappyCouple wrote:

I have a pet peeve...

Never experienced this with foreign people....loads of frigging Brits do it though! Grrrr!

Brought and bought for me....it really, really winds me up! My dad's a real pedant and even he gets it wrong (thought he does have issues with Rs).

I also really dislike people who say "bold" instead of bald, "visa versa" instead of vice versa and get their/they're/there mixed up (and same with your/you're)

I get really wound up with people misusing apostrophes - if in doubt, I'd rather you missed it out entirely!

On to less wordy hates and I have real problems with people "screeching" their cutlery on plates, makes my teeth itch! Can't stand noisy eaters and get really wound up with sniffers *and* people blowing their nose at the dinner table!

I can't stand whistling either - only have to hear half a note to automatically want to shout "stop whistling" and have to stop myself if it's someone who doesn't know me and my dislike for it!

I really dislike poor hygiene but I can ignore it - apart from people who work with food, then it's unforgivable!

And I really, really dislike waiters/barmaids/restaurant staff who smoke during a shift!

I don't like when people over-exaggerate (hence me avoiding using the word hate in almost all cases) and when Simon Cowell (and only him) says "1000% yes" I get very mad - smug git should at least speak correctly when he thinks he's better than everyone!

I really dislike the use of "literally" as an exaggeration!

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of 'em right now!

I'm not amongst the many pedants who dislikes exclamation marks though - I love them though I strongly dislike them being used in formal writing!

Adxx

Oh and journalists who can't write correctly! It's your job for goodness sake!

I dislike inconsistancy in writing...if you're going to make a mistake do it consistantly.

I'll stop now :P

Adx