Pill is making me moody!

Hi guys,

I started on Cerazette which was the first ever pill I used (August last year), and after a few months on that I changed to Microgynon. I told the doctor I felt quite moody on Microgynon (I was on that for about 6 months), so they changed my to Mercilon as it has a lower dose of oestrogen which will make me less moody...

I'm half way through my second strip of Mercilon and I'm hating it!!! I'd had an argument with my OH yesterday, the day before and tonight and we usually only have an argument say once a week. It's really getting me down because I hate arguing with him, and the pill is really making me feel down.

I just want to be able to feel happy on the pill!!

Also, my periods haven't improved/been lighter/shorter on any of these three different types of pills which is what I'm mainly looking for, alongside the less moody aspect.

So, PLEASE, if anyone could recommend any other pills/forms of contraception like the injection/implant or give me any advice if you've used any of these pills and how they worked for you.

Or tips on the mood swings???

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! xx

it doesnt matter if it microgynon or any other pill hun i was moody full stop on all of them then i got the coil fitted hun and i will never look back only thing you got to watch for is putting on excess weight as i learnt the wrong way i am still moody like but thats just called pms lol xxxx

i will do some research on the coil thanks :) xxx

To be honest, they all have their own bunch of side effects and everyone responds to them differently. Also, it may be a case of just riding out the initial effects because most medication eases off in side effects once the body becomes used to it.

I was on the depo injection (provera) for a good while but I was constantly tired from it. The effects did ease a bit but I stopped due to the risk of bone weakening and my current low levels of calcium. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably still be on it as the time frame and convenience was really ideal for me. Also one of it's common side effects is for periods to be lighter and even stopped altogether with long term use.. Shame I didn't get that far.

Visit your local GUM clinic for the full options that are available to you. It will probably end up as a case of trial and error to find what's suited for you. Just be warned that some may take a while to even out in effects.

Nymeria wrote:

To be honest, they all have their own bunch of side effects and everyone responds to them differently. Also, it may be a case of just riding out the initial effects because most medication eases off in side effects once the body becomes used to it.

I was on the depo injection (provera) for a good while but I was constantly tired from it. The effects did ease a bit but I stopped due to the risk of bone weakening and my current low levels of calcium. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably still be on it as the time frame and convenience was really ideal for me. Also one of it's common side effects is for periods to be lighter and even stopped altogether with long term use.. Shame I didn't get that far.

Visit your local GUM clinic for the full options that are available to you. It will probably end up as a case of trial and error to find what's suited for you. Just be warned that some may take a while to even out in effects.

thank you for your advice :) I will visit my nearest GUM clinic in the week and see what is best for me :) xx

I take Co-Cyprindol at the minute as it's a combination of period control (less heavy, less clots) and also helps with acne. I don't have acne any more (in fact my skin is as clear as it's ever been!) but I keep taking it because it makes my periods less heavy. Five years ago I used to faint because of how bad my periods were.

Before that I used to take Microgynon and it made me feel so depressed at times. I would reccommend an implant because my mum and sister both have one and their periods have stopped altogether. It's not intended for period control but it's a great method of contraception too. My aunt has the coil and hasn't had any problems - but I agree, go to the GUM clinic and see what's best for you

Maybe the pill isn't the right contraception for you. There are plenty of women who have similar problems with various contraception. Have you concidered any other methods of contraception? Perhaps the implant or maybe depo injections? I have tried both Microgynon and cerezette but neither caused me any trouble. Infact, I enjoyed my time on microgynon. I have the coil now after my gynaecologist recommended it for me but I'm not a fan. My once predictable periods are all over the place.

But I agree with the above advice, visiting your local GUM clinic would be beneficial as you can discuss all available options and figure out what's best for you :)

amydb69 wrote:

it doesnt matter if it microgynon or any other pill hun i was moody full stop on all of them then i got the coil fitted hun and i will never look back only thing you got to watch for is putting on excess weight as i learnt the wrong way i am still moody like but thats just called pms lol xxxx

I agee I had the coil fitted after my 2nd child and have NEVER looked back ... rarely get PMS rarely come on apart from when under extreme stress .... My sister had the Injection and omg she was a right bitch she didn't have it ever again and I refuse to have it....

Good look and hope you get sorted soon xxxx

Yeah I don't think the pill is agreeing with me and the fact that my boyfriend has said to me that I'm starting to get a lot more moodier is getting me down because I don't want to be moody

I will definitely go to a GUM clinic though, thank you for all of your help xxx

I'm on Marvelon and noticed im a little grumpier from it but I honestly think its more the being tired than pill.

I've thought about the coil but can't get it due to lots of UTI's and PCOS.

Have you considered the Implant?

I was on Microgynon for about 3 years for bad cramps and heavy bleeding, it worked for a while but then eventually my periods got heavier :/ My moods weren't awful either. But then I changed to one called Logynon and I am the nastiest bitch going the week leading up and during my period. But my periods are lighter :D So to gain on one thing but lose out on another I've found.

occhiverdi wrote:

I'm on Marvelon and noticed im a little grumpier from it but I honestly think its more the being tired than pill.

I've thought about the coil but can't get it due to lots of UTI's and PCOS.

Have you considered the Implant?

They said if I don;t end up liking Mercilon then they will put me on Marvelon like you...

I haven't considered the implant cos a few girls I know have had really long periods with it (i'm talking 8 weeks on and off bleeding).. I know it's different for everyone but just unsure about the implant really. xx

Kittykins wrote:

I was on Microgynon for about 3 years for bad cramps and heavy bleeding, it worked for a while but then eventually my periods got heavier :/ My moods weren't awful either. But then I changed to one called Logynon and I am the nastiest bitch going the week leading up and during my period. But my periods are lighter :D So to gain on one thing but lose out on another I've found.

yeah I suppose everyone is moody leading up to their period so if you're benefiting from lighter periods then that's good! I wish I could be like that! :(