Planning a holiday to England from Australia! Any advice??

Hi, as most of you are from the mother country I thought I'd ask for some advice here!

I've booked a trip to England for one month (all of August) and looking for any tips ^.^ basically all I have planned so far is in arriving in London and leaving from Manchester... I will have to have a quick visit to Warrington for a couple of days to visit family.

What do you think are some "must see" places?

This is my first ever trip by myself and finding it a bit daunting not having anyone else to plan with >.<

Whist visiting lovehoney would be cool, it's not actually possible. I would definitely recommend visiting Bath in general, it's such a lovely place. The Roman baths are great, Royal Crescent is pretty and they have some lovely parks and good shops too. Whilst you're in the area you might as well visit Bristol - the Clifton suspension bridge is beautiful, the view from it is amazing. There is a lovely cathedral in the city centre and there's always loads to do by the harbourside.

I love castles and old buildings in general as well as the outdoors when it comes to visiting places so I'd recommend going to Leeds Castle in Kent, the Seven Sisters cliffs in Seaford and Winchester in general because it's a lovely little city. Virginia Water is a gorgeous place if you want to go somewhere for a relaxing walk and Windsor is nice too.

I'm not really a fan of London so I'll let someone else recommend things to do there! I've also never been anywhere up north so I can recommend anything to do there either.

Hope you have an amazing time whatever you choose to do!

Haha it would be pretty cool to visit lovehoney :P

Thank you so much!!! I've looked up every place that has been suggested because a lot of them I've never heard of before or considered. I want to go EVERYWHERE. Why does the UK have to have so many beautiful places??

Omg yes, how did I forget Cornwall! I went there for a couple of days about 2/3 years ago and it was so lovely. Lands End is probably the most beautiful place I've been to, the cliffs are absolutely amazing!

I have to agree totally with Amanda. We have family and freinds in Oz last year one of the friends came over. We live in Devon on the edge of Dartmoor this en route to our neighbouring county of Cornwall.it's a National park parts have been untouched and you can see stone age hut circles. I would all so suggest Stonehenge. One thing she wanted to see was the City and harbour of Plymouth as this is where so many early settles for Oz and America set of from. The actual steps that the Pilgrim fathers used are still insitu. If you want to see as much as poss. Look up Travelodge and premiere inns this are a very good cheap nation wide chains of hotels. They have one of either within 1/2 hour of most of the places Amanda has suggested you could plan your whole trip around them. If you plan and book early they have a room with a shower tv. For as little as £19.

From Warrington I would suggest down and around North Wales to Anglesey, the Menai strait. Then Snowdonia ,take in some of the castles the English made to try and control the Welsh Especially Carmarthen. Saint David's Cathedral South west point of Wales. Pendine sands.Then after Bath & Bristol down to Devon and Cornwall. A must is Tintagel Castle the legendary home of King Arther. Back to Plymouth. Then up to Stonehenge. Then I would go up the east side of England .

Others can recommend this area but I would go to Whitby where Dracula was written about. Then up to Scotland see Hadrians wall and Loch Ness and Edinburgh Castle and the Cairngorms.

The main thing to advice you is we are tiny in travel time to Oz. It is possible with luck to drive from Lands End In Cornwall to John o groats north Scotland in 12 hrs. It's 874 miles from tip to tip. But traffic can change times a lot.

Hope you enjoy it.

Wherever you go whatever you do, take water and lunch as they will bend you over backwards with the prices they charge

Although London is in many people's opinion overrated you can't travel from the other side of the world and not visit it. Where to go depends on your interests. Buy a lonely planet guide as they really are worth every penny. Stay in some youth hostels as talking to fellow travellers will be invaluable if for nothing more than making new friends.
You also can't ignore Liverpool as you'll be so close in Warrington. that city has so much to tell and is like no other city in the uk.
I'd ignore the south west, although it is undoubtedly beautiful at that time of year it will be full of British families on holiday and to be honest there's nothing there you can't do between London and Liverpool. Just focus your time on content rather than covering hundreds of miles. Buy a young persons railcard. It will save you a third off all off peak train journeys.

Sum Sub wrote:

Wherever you go whatever you do, take water and lunch as they will bend you over backwards with the prices they charge

True Subby and the Holiday period in The SW hadn't thought of that. But like London if you have a month you should be able to cover them all.

Pack warm cloths and bring an umbrella. lol

loulou1997 wrote:

Pack warm cloths and bring an umbrella. lol

The way it is at the moment a boat wouldn't be such a bad idea either!

I have no useful information to add

Have a fab holiday. Can we switch places??? Pretty please!

All my Australian friends seem to love food from marks and spencers (might be worth grabbing some for a lunch).

Depends on your interests. I love all things horror so some of my favourite places to visit in London are the London Dungeons and London Bridge Experience/London Tombs, which are fun horror tour attractions.

Bring a coat was my first thought also there's more to Britain than the south and Scotland really you will need at least a month

Lots of good suggestions so far. As a Cornishman living near the Second City, my suggestions would include also West Cornwall, (but avoid the emmitts) and the Balti Triangle in Birmingham if you like Indian food or similar.

Amanda looks like you've just had some of that fudge; I'm on my way to Sidmouth now.

I would just go see family and then head to Europe. Although the uk has some great attractions they are usually overpriced and it tends to rain.

I would just go see family and then head to Europe. Although the uk has some great attractions they are usually overpriced and it tends to rain.

As your in the neighbourhood, bypass Britain and head straight to Ireland. It's like a mental version of the UK.