Pleasuring and sex during periods

I always think this... Is it normal for it to hurt? Like I've had period problems since I was 10 well my first was at 10 I then didn't have any til I was 15 (I hope this is ok to say) but I had them really heavy til I went on the pill about 17-18 I was wondering if this (or being a virgin) could be why it can be painful afterwards? It just causes my cramps to worsen later and I always hear women say oh sex and orgasms ease cramps and pain.

I do get ridiculously horny during that time and sometimes do tend to myself if I really have to but I don't know loads of people always say it doesn't hurt it eases the pain and all this other stuff I'm wondering if my messed up periods could've been why it still hurts? Inserting things as well like my vibe won't go in comfortably just beforehand (I won't try during). I'm sure this is due to cervix and stuff but everyone else makes it sound like I'm not normal.

Surely it IS normal for it to hurt isn't it?

It may not be 'normal' but I don't think it's abnormal either. I know that I'm the exact same way.

Sometimes just before a period I can't really insert stuff (like you say, I think that's because of the low cervix) and if I masturbate externally during (I choose not to have sex or use insertable vibes when I'm on my period) I can sometimes get pain in my lower abdomen. I think that's just because the muscles are kind of crampy/tight anyway. I also find stretching out can cause muscle pain so it's not just masturbation for me.

It might sound a bit strange but buscopan really helps with my muscle cramps. I tried it because I was really desperate one day and thought it made sense to use an anti-spasmodic but I later found out it is actually used as a treatment. It works for better than any pain killer for me.

I didn't know if it was something I needed the doctor to check although I'm glad it doesn't seem I have to go which is good.

But yeah I do it externally when I really have to but it makes my cramps worse and sometimes like if it's nearer the end I'll end up bleeding a day or two longer (so say it's nearly stopped if I then think it's safe I then do so and end up bleeding again for a few days after)

I'm pretty sure that's normal too. If I have sex when I think it's done/pretty much done, I nearly always find it's not. I think that's just blood being dislodged (I'm definitely not a doctor so I may be very wrong though!).

While I don't think it sounds like anything to worry about, why not mention it to your GP next time you are in? It might be good to put your mind at rest.

When I've had sex while on my period it has always hurt after, think it's something to do with the uterus contracting. Same happens to be when I'm pregnant I get pain after sex x

I personally don't feel pain during penetration on my period but I definitely get a lot more sensitive generally down there. I don't think there's any real 'normal' when it comes to vaginas. We're all built differently. If you're having sharp pains though definitely go to see your GP like Friday13 suggested. You never know. Could be a psychological thing as well.

So long as it isn't just me I feel better about it already.

So glad my mum persuaded me to go on the pill though best thing I've ever done

WARNING KINDA GROSS (just for guys who may read or those who don't like blood lol) I would bleed during the night but it wouldn't come out so it was always a lot when I woke up used to have cross my legs and hop to the loo but what got me persuaded onto the pill was one morning I woke up at 5.30 needing the loo. Half asleep and dreading the big day ahead (was travelling to other end of country to help family move) I stood up legs stiff and together as always and felt something on my toes, looked down no word of a lie it was down both legs and dripping onto my feet had to shuffle down to mum and I was scared like mum please help! She woke up and was like right bath and as soon as Monday comes you're going on the pill see if a bath eases it if not you're going to the out of hours.

I wondered if this had anything to do with the pain you see I could be on for weeks at a time and at one point I was on for 2 weeks off for 2 days and on for another two weeks it was hell. But due to this I thought all the problems I had with periods might've been causing the pain and maybe that would be a reason to go to the hospital

I actually find that sex and masturbation actually helps with cramps, and from time to time get insanely horny, like this last week.
I do find afterwards I can be really really sore and find it painful to even sit down for a while. Something to do with your uterus. Obviously if you are greatly concerned I would visit your doctor to get professionally checked over xx

So long as I'm not the only one I'll be fine. I do usually get insanely horny but often get sore and crampy afterwards so it's a catch 22.

I try to refrain if I can (plus it makes the first orgasm afterwards so much more worth the wait)

Hun don't want to scare you but if your periods were that bad they should have done some investigations to see if anything was wrong. I had an awful time and was put on the pill, thought it was great as "cured" me but actually masked problems and has left me infertile. Obv this is an extreme example but I think docs are too quick to treat symptoms rather than the route issue. If you're worried enough to ask us I think you should speak to a doctor. Xx

Yeah. I was at a different doctors surgery at the time might need to bring it I have always wondered if I have PCOS it runs in my family but have never been checked but then again breast cancer also runs in my family and they haven't done any tests there (apparently they can do a test to find out how likely it is I'll get it?) never been checked for that either.

I have pcos and endo x

Kirsty92 wrote:

Yeah. I was at a different doctors surgery at the time might need to bring it I have always wondered if I have PCOS it runs in my family but have never been checked but then again breast cancer also runs in my family and they haven't done any tests there (apparently they can do a test to find out how likely it is I'll get it?) never been checked for that either.

Def bring it up again, now that you're older they may be more likely to listen to you as well about what's going on in your body :)

I find I am more sensitive to penetration around the time of my period too. I also have very heavy periods and refer to them as Freddie is visiting. I leak no matter what I use and the morning trip to the loo is always a dash to try and avoid leaving a trail 😁. it is normal to have a gush after sitting or lying down though as the vagina dips behind the cervix in these positions which creates a pool for blood to collect which when we stand up gives the sudden gush. I now use a moon cup which works well and I only need to back up with towels for the first couple of days. You should definitely push the doc's to do further investigation regarding pco.

Kirsty get back down to your docs Hun!

Will do as soon as I can find the time because really I need to sort out counselling first. Since being on the pill though it's been pretty well regulated and much much lighter. But as mentioned above someone thought the pill "cured" them but in actual fact it hadn't. I don't know how I'd cope if I was left infertile. Having kids has always been on my list for the future

Really sorry to hear about your circumstances UsedWorkShoes 😓

...but a sensible warning to Kirsty...best to check if in doubt.

Will do luv bunny thank you

I don't think you need to worry about "normal" because everyone is different, but it's always good to talk to your doctor about anything that's causing pain. I know it can be embarrassing talking about masturbation, but trust me, they've heard/seen it all!

I don't have that kind of pain, as such, but I do bleed a bit more after an orgasm during my period. I always assumed it was to do with the contractions inside. It's never stopped me. :)