Post hysterectomy sex drive

Hi All

The short question is ...I'm 45 and as horny as hell, soon to be Mrs BB is 49 and isnt.

Mrs BB had a fibroma and full hysterectomy in September 2013 and since then has completely lost her sex drive.

She has lost the extra weight she gained around the time of the op and looks amazing (yes i do tell her).

What we are looking for is some advice from anyone who has been in the same situation as us.

I love her so much in everyway (ok so she goes loopy now and again but dont all women...;-)....)

Mrs BB has found some supplements online - Gold Max, has anyone used them?

Help us pleeeeease.......;-)

Hi there, has she discussed this with her GP? Hormone replacement therapy can help with her sex drive among other things, may be worth looking into :) x

Hi Scorpius

Thanks for replying. She has just started to take HRT, hope it helps.

baldbanger wrote:

Hi Scorpius

Just watch out HRT can make women a little crazy :P

Halo H.Butt wrote:

baldbanger wrote:

Hi Scorpius

Just watch out HRT can make women a little crazy :P

She can't get anymore crazy.......or can she....???? lol

Hi BB, I'd just like to offer my support to you and your future wife because a hysterectomy can have quite an impact on your sex life.
I had mine at the same time as your OH but I kept my ovaries because the doctors didn't seem keen to give me HRT when I asked before them op and they seemed to think it strange that I'd want to preserve my sexual functions at the age of 50!
Anyway to cut a long story short my libido is as strong, if not stronger than it was before so I've been very lucky .
Apparently it can take some time for the HRT to kick in and can be a bit trial and error with the right type and doseage so it could take a bit of time till she starts to feel the difference.
As for the Gold Max, I've not taken that particular one bit I have tried a couple of other, just as an experiment to see if they really make any difference and I'm sorry to say they didn't for me but maybe they might for someone with low libido.
They might be worth a try assuming they're safe to take in conjunction with HRT .Asfor going a bit loopy sometimes , I quite often experience this ! Hope everything works out for you both :)

My wife had a full hysterectomy when she was about 35,we were advised by a senior nurse that we could have gentle sex within a fortnight,i thought `yeah right!` but fair play to my wife,she initiated sex after 2 weeks.Regarding sex drive,my wife was put on HRT and was given Testosterone implants,they were like little pellets inserted under the skin and lasted about 6 months,she was on them for about 5 years.Maybe you need to see your GP to get advice? Recently my wife was taken off HRT at 50,she has been having the odd hot flush,but is otherwise ok.Hope this helps.

Hi Wildflower and WillC.

Thank you both for your support and advice, think a trip to the GP is in order.

Hormones..grrrrrr

Happy and sexy New Year to everyone

BB and Mrs BB

Hmm..when you say full hyst I assume you mean ovaries too...if that is the case that is a real bummer as that is what helps drive your sex drive along.
I had a hysterectomy, and prolapse repair about a year 1/2 ago...but kept my ovaries.... I have had difficulty of keeping sex of my mind, and I find my sex drive is in full swing.... The fact I am divorced now might have something to do with that too...
Loosing your ability to have kids is a very emotional mind bender too... As it is all tied up with our personal image of womanliness, and there is a part that ticks away in the background that you are less of a woman after the op...ergo...less sexy...ergo..sex drive goes south.

You could try and help her regain her inner eye view of her womanliness, and help her switch on to the fact she is still that sexy woman

Sex and sex drive for women has a lot to do with our emotional connection to sex,...so try to ease that along with the hrt you might find she fires off out the blue.
Gl.... And be patient with her

My wife had ovaries removed.As she was only 35 and childless it was a big decision,but we came through it.The Testosterone implants were because of the ovary removal,now 15 years later she is fine as i stated above,so look on the brightside,hopefully things will be fine!

Hi BB,

When it comes to hormones it always can be a difficult subject but i think i might be able to give you some insight. Im not saying i can give the answers but hopefully i can help a little with explanation.

The loss of the ovaries causes a huge drop in hormone levels as expected as they are the primary source of hormone production, but not the only source. One of the main factors that can reduce the sex drive of someone after having a hysterectomy is not in fact the reduction in hormones, the initial loss of the hormanes can be a big shock to the brain which causes huge difference in concentrations of neurotransmitters (amount of chemicals in the brain which help control everything). The main ones that can be effected are dopamine, seratonin and acetylcholine, unfortunatly they don't directly affect sex drive (as far as im aware) but they certainly can effect mood and especially self image. Unfortuantly this can make her down and upset but also can make her feel less attractive which clearly will reduce her sex drive.

Also sexual sensation can be reduced by the surgery.

So the main things i can suggest is look at the possibilities of emotional support and help, which can be got from your GP, who may reffer to a psychologist. (my OH is a psychologist so if you need any help with terms that have not been explained to you properly i can ask her)

Also to improve sexual sensation pelvic floor exercises are great.

Main thing is if things dont improve your GP should be able to offer plenty of help.

Finally as some GP's dont explain the really complicated words and conditions properly feel free to ask on here as i should be able to explain them better for you.

hope this helps

Thanks again for your very supportive replies.

Mrs BB has popped to the shops with my credit card (I may need counselling when she returns!)

I will show her your comments later.

Thanks again