quality of review?

I have just writen my 25th review and it hit me that I have no idea if my reviews are of the quality that LH is looking for. I have read how to write a review on the forum and under community and have read a few of the reviews of the month.  It would be nice if there was a rating system that the LH appover could rate our reviews as they approved them. For example 1-5 stars overall based on quality, detail, information, and length. It would be quick and not add excessive work on LH end as well as give us reviewers an idea of the quailty of our work and if we need to improve... It may not be feasible, but it was just a thought. :)

Good idea. I often wonder this too. I sometimes go back and see if anyone has rated them as helpful. When I see that someone has I give myself a little pat on the back.

I think that's a great idea! I've always wanted to know what they've thought of my reviews. Even if it was added to the email you receive when your review is accepted. I get that it's probably automated, bit it might be worth a shout.

On the other side of it though, I can imagine it might put people off writing reviews if they get 1 or 2/5 marks. Some people like to just write short three-liners, and I'd imagine quite a large amount of the reviews on the site are like that. Marking people could stop them writing one in the first place, therefore slowing down Lovehoney's monumental increase of reviews.

Maybe then there could be a check box when submitting a review asking if you'd like to receive a mark out of 5. That way people who just want to write short bursts can opt out and not be effected.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, your reviews seem well written, clear and full of the required information. I don't think they ask for much more than that really x

LadyS wrote:

I don't think you have anything to worry about, your reviews seem well written, clear and full of the required information. I don't think they ask for much more than that really x

Thanks for reading a few of mine LadyS. It's helpful to get some feed back. I buy a lot of items and therefor will be writng a lot of reviews... Mr. B reads them and even adds a little of his own to them, but I think his opinion is a little biased... It's just that mine always seem sooooo much longer than a lot of others, but It all seems like needed info. I wouldn't want to cut it out if it's helpful, but I don't want to go on forever if no one will stop and read it due to length...

B-B wrote:

LadyS wrote:

Thanks for reading a few of mine LadyS. It's helpful to get some feed back. I buy a lot of items and therefor will be writng a lot of reviews... Mr. B reads them and even adds a little of his own to them, but I think his opinion is a little biased... It's just that mine always seem sooooo much longer than a lot of others, but It all seems like needed info. I wouldn't want to cut it out if it's helpful, but I don't want to go on forever if no one will stop and read it due to length...

I don't think they seemed too long and all, and always good to have both perspectives I reckon, so it's good that he gets involved too :) x

I think your reviews are good B-B just the right length and good clear info.

I personally don't like the idea of a ratings system as I can find writing and spelling hard sometimes and I really think this would put more pressure on me. But that's just me. :)

It's not lovehoney that needs to find them useful, it's prospective customers, and they have the option to vote yes they found your review helpful. You just need to check your reviews to see if someone found it helpful.

I suppose people like all sorts of reviews; some like short ones focused on how you feel about this or that product, some like long-winded ones that try to describe every possible feature of the item in question. I guess that most review-writing styles get appreciated by some prospective buyers...

Great idea! I have often wonderd this

really short reviews that lack the useful information in them really annoy me. I've just read one that someone wrote for a tester. No information on sizing or fit or how it felt or anything like that. I hate that! It annoys me!

pinkanimal wrote:

really short reviews that lack the useful information in them really annoy me. I've just read one that someone wrote for a tester. No information on sizing or fit or how it felt or anything like that. I hate that! It annoys me!

I think we might have read the same review! I was so disappointed because (with the one I read) it was an item I wanted to buy but I stll have no idea what the fit or quality is like. So great, now I am back to square one of do I take a chance, or do I not take a chance and wait for an actually informative review. I think it's worth noting that not only do people find reviews helpful, a lot of people (like me) often depend on them! In so saying, I don't think a review rating system would help that. I like the current one where customers can rate if it was helpful or not, the staff rating your review would just add pressure and bias to the whole system. Besides, in the case of testers I like to think there is a subtle review system anyway...as in, if you get testers at all you are doing ok. And if you aren't picked again, maybe you need to write more than 5 lines in your next review. (That wasn't meant to sound bitchy just the way I see it!)

pinkanimal wrote:

Is it a new item? Sometimes i look at things and i think that they would be hard to review, especially clothes when it comes to fits as sizing changes shop to shop so someone might be a size 12 in their usual shop but find a size 12 item here was too small so review it negatively! If its the only review then yeah i see the point that people might be reluctant to buy if theres only one review that doesnt comment on that.

I won't say what it is but pretty recent yeah.
Especially if it is clothing I always make sure I mention what size/height I am and how it fits.

Yeah, I also depend on reviews for a lot of things. Sizing, feel, smell, strength of vibrations, overall quality, etc. But I don't like too long reviews as much as I don't like too short ones. Especially, if they are not well organised. If the person put an effort to organise the review, no matter how long - yes, I may like it nonetheless. But a few pages long review makes it very hard to read and find the useful information in it.

What I mean by organised? For example, this one of mine: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=14135&reviewid=65298#customer_reviews

Actually, most of my own reviews are not so well organised. But I have seen reviews much longer than this one on this site and I simply wish they were organised in a similar way, so I could quickly check out the relevant information for me.