What's happened to reviews?

I saw this mentioned on Twitter a couple of days ago, but then things went back to normal... until now. :/

It seems that Lovehoney no longer allow you to view the ratings for each individual category when you read reviews, and instead just shows the overall star rating. When asked on Twitter, Lovehoney said it was something they're trialling but didn't really give much information, so I'm wondering, is this the way it's going to be from now on?

I've just written a new review and still rated each category (i.e. quietness, materials, orgasm rating), but it doesn't show on the product page. I can't understand the reason for this change, because it makes it a lot harder to judge a product when you only have an overall rating. Some members write really informative reviews, but a lot don't, and simply write a couple of sentences. In this case, the detailed ratings are really useful to get an idea of how a product performs in different areas across the board.

I just made this thread to see if anyone from Lovehoney could shed some light on things? And maybe see if I'm overreacting, or if anyone else would prefer to be able to see all the ratings :p

Cheers guys! :)

I didn't know about this till now but it sounds like a really horrible idea. I like reading the reviews so I know the gist of the item in question. I can't really make a decision based on just a star rating

I saw this mentioned too and did wonder what the point was. I know a lot of people like shorter reviews that they can get through quickly. But giving less information in star ratings? Bit too far even for the skim readers among us, surely? I mean it's basically just a picture...quick glance gives you lots of information very quickly. So...? :/

Ah I'm glad it's not just me then!

Yeah it seems a bit counterintuitive to me, giving customers less information to work with. Like I said, if people write really good reviews then it's not much of a problem, but not everyone likes to go in to detail in their writing about different factors. And if there's 20+ reviews for a product, having the individual ratings is useful for skim reading, so you can just focus on reading a couple of reviews then scrolling through to see if the ratings reflect similar experiences.

Hopefully it's just a temporary thing :/

Just looked at.a load of reviews it all got the seperate ratings on them.

bondagegod wrote:

When it was mentioned on Twitter the ratings were still showing up as normal for me, and that was a couple of days ago. Now every product I click on is only showing 'Overall Rating'. I wish I could post a screen shot to show you! But perhaps it's something that's not fully rolled out yet?

I thought it was a glitch but Lovehoney said it was done on purpose. :/

bondagegod wrote:

Its odd!

i first noticed it the other day when i got an email saying my latest review was live. I clicked the link to read it and wondered why only the overall star rating was there. I then went on twitter and copied and pasted a link to my review on there, and when i clicked it to make sure i had linked the correct review, all the star categories were there!

So accessing the site direct from my ipad via the internet shows overall ratings, but looking at the page opened as a twitter link showed everything.

Woah, I hadn't noticed before but that's really weird, I don't think I like it. I think a few of the previous ratings sections were kind of redundant - especially in the essentials section - but removing them all seems a bit drastic.

Changed for me too, I submitted a review a few days back too and never noticed but had to enter the same noise/material/ect info when submitting my review.

I'm with the majority on this and now I am actually looking at it I dont like it.. When looking for toys I do look at these ratings especially when it comes to the noise/material ratings.

Just gone on a review i wrote this week there a rating out of ten which i guess is an average of what people rate the product at the top before the review starts.

Then under everyone personal review there is the seperate ratings.

Boogaloo wrote:

I saw this mentioned on Twitter a couple of days ago, but then things went back to normal... until now. :/

It seems that Lovehoney no longer allow you to view the ratings for each individual category when you read reviews, and instead just shows the overall star rating. When asked on Twitter, Lovehoney said it was something they're trialling but didn't really give much information, so I'm wondering, is this the way it's going to be from now on?

I've just written a new review and still rated each category (i.e. quietness, materials, orgasm rating), but it doesn't show on the product page. I can't understand the reason for this change, because it makes it a lot harder to judge a product when you only have an overall rating. Some members write really informative reviews, but a lot don't, and simply write a couple of sentences. In this case, the detailed ratings are really useful to get an idea of how a product performs in different areas across the board.

I just made this thread to see if anyone from Lovehoney could shed some light on things? And maybe see if I'm overreacting, or if anyone else would prefer to be able to see all the ratings :p

Cheers guys! :)

I just had a look Boo, and I can't see the individual star ratings either - just an overall one at the top. I did used to like to look at these, especially the noise one - lol.

Another change I have just noticed is that on the summary page of products, it states how many reviews there are for each product and now also states 'not yet reviewed' rather than just no stars at all xx

Ah yes I've noticed that it now tells you how many reviews an item has before you click on it - I think that's a good idea. It's strange how the other changes aren't showing up for everyone though!

After seeing this, I checked and I can only see the overall star rating. I did find the extra star ratings useful to understand if the product was right for me. They showed if the product was let down in one area, but excelled in others. e.g If a product was great in most areas but a bit noisy this might not be a deal breaker.

As Boogaloo says some people write detailed reviews and it is easy to see the pro's and con's of the product. Other reviews are shorter and the star rating gives a better idea of how the product performed in different areas.

*Bump*

Hoping a Lovehoney staff member sees this and responds! :)

On my mobile phone, I can't see the new "how many reviews" feature but I can see the green fit/build quality/noise level/etc. rating(s).

On my laptop, it is the other way round...

Hello you beady-eyed lot!

Don't panic... We're running some tests at our end. Some people will see the changes, and others won't. 

We're planning an overhaul of the reviews system in the near (ish) future to make thw whole process better and easier for you and us. Before we do anything drastic though, we're running a few tests to see what actually works, and what doesn't.

:) 

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Don't panic... We're running some tests at our end. Some people will see the changes, and others won't.

We're planning an overhaul of the reviews system in the near (ish) future to make thw whole process better and easier for you and us. Before we do anything drastic though, we're running a few tests to see what actually works, and what doesn't.

Thanks Jess :)

I am a little more panicked than before though... reviews overhaul ![](upload://jokG3WtlbVccWAgGjeuPxY6tITM.gif) Does that mean that the separate ratings will be gone for good?

*Runs to the corner to cry about hating change* haha!

Boogaloo wrote:

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

I am a little more panicked than before though... reviews overhaul ![](upload://jokG3WtlbVccWAgGjeuPxY6tITM.gif) Does that mean that the separate ratings will be gone for good?

I was panicking too, you can tell an awful lot just from that little box of pros, cons and ratings!

FlexyBexyXXX wrote:

Boogaloo wrote:

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

I am a little more panicked than before though... reviews overhaul Does that mean that the separate ratings will be gone for good?

I was panicking too, you can tell an awful lot just from that little box of pros, cons and ratings!

Nothing has been planned yet. We'll be testing allll sorts of things over the next few weeks. 

We know the importance of ratings over words, don't worry :) 

Tests aren't always done to find out whether we want to implement something - sometimes it's so we can gather evidence of how important a pre-existing feature is. If taking that option away has a hugely negative impact on reviews, then we can take it to 'the big boys up top' and say "oi - this needs to stay!" - but without a test, we're really just talking out of our....well, you know the saying!

Honestly guys and gals, don't worry :) We want to make the whoooole process better for submitting, reading, editing, and publishing. Anyway, I think it's about time it had a bit of TLC. 

Everything looks the same as it ever was on my mobile :) looks like lovehoney are having a HUGE overhaul lately. I'm excited to see what happens!